BBM is totally not fit for business is it uses PIN to find your contact. Nobody in the business world would ever be caught dead to give out their BBM PIN it is more common to give out a name card or business card that will definitely contain your phone number.

Since your business contacts have your phone number they will automatically contact you via WhatsApp rather than BBM because chances are you have WhatsApp & not BBM.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 12:25 PM
    And that's where personalized PINs can come in handy. You don't need to give out your phone number, and you don't need to give out some random set of letters and numbers that nobody's going to remember.
    04-01-15 12:28 PM
    While I don't agree with your conclusion, I do agree that there should be more options to add contacts. And it should be a much less cumbersome process.

I don't personally use BBM or WhatsApp for business. For business messages, it's all email. I suppose there are different implications where a more chat-like program is necessary. Not in my case though.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    menshawy and SourceCode like this.
    04-01-15 12:30 PM
    I don't use Whatsapp but tend to agree - I'm more than happy to give my email, telephone, etc. to others and take theirs in return.
    04-01-15 12:34 PM
    If I gave someone my business card and they contacted me via WhatsApp I would consider that pretty weird and unprofessional. I guess there are businesses where that might be normal? Then again, even my friend who manages a business where texting would be more common it is still only a select few customers and it is still via text. Almost everything is still done via email or phone.
    04-01-15 12:48 PM
    Why dont ask PIN when asking for email and phone number??
    And since phone calls are available in all OS except windows, and all the business person will be having strong wifi or high speed internet, it would be ok to call. So all in one. Just people have to start this practice...thats the only thing left..

Posted via CB10
    NRB likes this.
    04-01-15 12:59 PM
    If you have a business only cell phone then yes, it works.

But if you don't, then everyone you give your card to will be able to see you on Whatsapp for eternity (and when you die, they'll see whoever gets your number, and so on).

Not to mention all your personal and business contacts will be uncontrollably melded into one disastrous Whatsapp list.

It's probably just not a good tool for business. Unless you're a drug pusher,.. lol

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 01:05 PM
    Email is still the optimal way for formal business back and forth. IMs are too fickle and are never meant for long and involved discussion.
    jmr1015, LP_Rigg and DueNorthBB like this.
    04-01-15 01:10 PM
    BBM is totally not fit for business is it uses PIN to find your contact. Nobody in the business world would ever be caught dead to give out their BBM PIN it is more common to give out a name card or business card that will definitely contain your phone number.

Since your business contacts have your phone number they will automatically contact you via WhatsApp rather than BBM because chances are you have WhatsApp & not BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Actually. If you look at the businesses that have been mentioned on CB as signing up for BES over the past year, they seem like the type of huge companies that WOULDN'T want to have their fleet "easy" to find as contacts.
    They look more like huge companies where contact is between/within the hundreds/thousands of employees in the company with security and privacy as the main objective.
    I'm guessing that those are the target business customer for BlackBerry.
    Not the "I hope to find contacts easily" business crowd.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2708 CB10
    Last edited by jope28; 04-01-15 at 07:26 PM.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    04-01-15 01:36 PM
    I really don't get what the issue is with the way contacts are added on BBM. There are quite a few options already and all work. Is it that difficult to type "mypin" and send it to someone and all they have to do is tap it once to send an invite, add by email address, scanning their tag, letting both phones tap each other gently?

I don't want people to send invites to me just because they have my phone number. Privacy. Just because another messaging application works that way doesn't mean everyone should change the way their applications were designed. You don't increase your userbase that way. You create a stable and feature-filled application, easy to use, and relatively cheap (if not free).

If a business hands out phones to their employees and want to use Whatsapp, they already do and have their groups. However, if you are using your personal device and number, then like previous users have commented before me, it would be chaotic having personal and work contacts both in an application. I don't know any company that does that.

This is the second thread with the same "suggestion". Pointless and nothing to do with how businesses operate and communicate. Wouldn't be surprised if the next so-called suggestion would be to make BBM something like Snap Chat(or whatever the name is), because employees need it for their business.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 04:11 PM
    ^This

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    jope28 likes this.
    04-01-15 08:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah right! Do you actually use Whatsapp for business???

If you do... you would had notice that you can't send any documents (word, PowerPoint, excel, PDF...) with Whatsapp! Which I think is pretty important in a messaging app... well at least for me.

Hmmm and I haven't tried it yet... but can you send a contact with Whatsapp? Appointment???

Posted via CB10
    taveesh, gvs1341 and anon(9188202) like this.
    04-01-15 09:41 PM
    No. Whatsapp is rubbish by comparison.

If your only point for their being better for business is the use of phone numbers, it's a sad thesis.

Give me shared calendars, shared task lists, image gallery for commenting, blend and PINs any day.

Posted via CB10
    tfp likes this.
    04-01-15 11:21 PM
    Throw in bbm protected and integration to bbm meetings and private corporate bbm channels I think there not much question.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 11:22 PM
    BBM invites can also be sent over SMS.

Nobody I know uses WhatsApp, seems like a kid thing.

With BBM I can sent contacts, documents, attach any file type I want, email the whole chat to myself, send my location using Glympse, etc.
    twirlyboy and gvs1341 like this.
    04-01-15 11:38 PM
    The vast majority of my work/business contacts have switched to WhatsApp and iMessage. Most, including myself, have found cross platform BBM to be somewhat unreliable. Sometimes BBM on iOS will not receive messages that were sent hours ago.

I still like BBM, and a very small group of my contacts still use BBM. But BBM has lost a lot of ground in my experience.
    04-01-15 11:56 PM
    As noted above you cannot send files (in what world there is no doc, pdf, excel file transfer a business thing) that are required for business. There is no shared calendars, task lists etc etc..OP seems to be in some business that does not require everything stated above so for him Whatsapp is a business tool.

Posted via CB10 on the Q10 with OS 10.3.2.158
    04-02-15 12:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    Said with such conviction...

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 12:19 AM
    As noted above you cannot send files (in what world there is no doc, pdf, excel file transfer a business thing) that are required for business. There is no shared calendars, task lists etc etc..OP seems to be in some business that does not require everything stated above so for him Whatsapp is a business tool.

Posted via CB10 on the Q10 with OS 10.3.2.158
    For most of those needs, many businesses I've dealt with rely on Office365/Outlook... Not BBM.
    04-02-15 12:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    I have said over and over again BBM sucks for business. Invites oh my gosh ..... We are using BES and the administrator should be able to create a trusted group of devices that can communicate using BBM without the need of invites. What is with group limit of 50 members? How does that work when we have160 uses? Come on BB you want people using BBM or not. Cut this crap of invites for BES users and give us the option to create a trusted group where users can communicate with each other without invites.
    04-02-15 12:46 AM
    BBM invites can also be sent over SMS.

Nobody I know uses WhatsApp, seems like a kid thing.

With BBM I can sent contacts, documents, attach any file type I want, email the whole chat to myself, send my location using Glympse, etc.
    In Asia, BBM is declining and WhatsApp is much more becoming default for messenger. I don't have BBM groups anymore. People now use WhatsApp group.

People realize privacy issues but still choose WhatsApp over BBM. Privacy things in BBM becoming less relevant.

Don't get me wrong, I have 2 BlackBerry, a Z30 and an old 8530.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 12:54 AM
    in my place (Saudi Arabia) we can't make a voice call or video call using this bbm app for more than a week you can only send messages (with lag) , while whats app, its instant messaging even on weak wifi or data signal which is very opposite with bbm.
    04-02-15 12:56 AM
    We need Slack native on BB10 for business!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 01:40 AM
    BBM should be able to use Phone numbers like whatsapp or pins. Being saying this for awhile.
    04-02-15 01:42 AM
    I really don't get what the issue is with the way contacts are added on BBM. There are quite a few options already and all work. Is it that difficult to type "mypin" and send it to someone and all they have to do is tap it once to send an invite, add by email address, scanning their tag, letting both phones tap each other gently?

I don't want people to send invites to me just because they have my phone number. Privacy. Just because another messaging application works that way doesn't mean everyone should change the way their applications were designed. You don't increase your userbase that way. You create a stable and feature-filled application, easy to use, and relatively cheap (if not free).

If a business hands out phones to their employees and want to use Whatsapp, they already do and have their groups. However, if you are using your personal device and number, then like previous users have commented before me, it would be chaotic having personal and work contacts both in an application. I don't know any company that does that.

This is the second thread with the same "suggestion". Pointless and nothing to do with how businesses operate and communicate. Wouldn't be surprised if the next so-called suggestion would be to make BBM something like Snap Chat(or whatever the name is), because employees need it for their business.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you!

I have people sending me unwanted messages and pictures they find inspirational on my work phone simply because they have my phone number. I've had to block people recently because it's becoming annoying, I'm one of those people that hates to see unread messages on my phone and whatsapp has absolutely no restrictions, imagine if all of my 1500 contacts felt like sharing their inspiration every day simply because they have my number?

Besides, when it comes to business, you do business with whoever you want to and hey, how can you do business with whatsapp, you can't even send PDF's, I send invoices via bbm all the time and for this whatsapp is useless!
    04-02-15 02:15 AM
118 123 ...