This should be good marketing for BBM!

http://rt.com/usa/nsa-collects-sms-messages-731/

Hours ahead of a speech in which United States President Barack Obama will announce changes to the National Security Agency?s surveillance programs, newly leaked documents reveal the NSA collects hundreds of millions of text messages a day.

The results of a joint investigation conducted by Britain?s Guardian newspaper and Channel 4 News have revealed that the NSA and its UK sister-agency, the GCHQ, pair two previously unreported and top-secret national security programs to collect in bulk and then analyze millions of SMS text messages and other digital data sent around the world each day by mobile phones.

Edward Snowden, the former NSA contractor who left the US last year with a trove of sensitive intelligence documents, supplied the news agencies with the evidence, both outlets reported on Thursday.

Mr. Snowden, 30, has shared files contained within a cache of pilfered NSA documents with select reporters in the seven months since he first helped reveal that the NSA has in total secrecy been compelling the nation?s major telecommunications companies to routinely give up the metadata records of millions of customers daily. Pres. Obama is expected to announce changes to that program during a rare address this Friday.

With only hours to spare, however, the commander-in-chief may now be stuck scrambling to put together an explanation to warrant to the world the latest NSA revelation to be made public by Mr. Snowden.

According to leaked files obtained by the British media, the NSA has been collecting nearly 200 million text messages from the world?s cellphones every single day, occasionally using those records to further extract sensitive information such as location data, address book contacts and even financial details.

Courtesy of The Guardian

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 01:13 AM
    It's a bit silly to think other systems aren't compromised as well really. Once upon a time people thought everything mentioned in the NSA leaks thus far were secure. They're not. All these NSA leaks are making people rethink what is and isn't secure and realistically, no one but the NSA can say what is and what isn't and they're certainly not going to tell anyone the truth.

As sad as it is, you pretty much have to live your life from here on out assuming nothing is secure and that includes BlackBerry be it an off the shelf device or 'secured' by BES. No matter how you look at it, none of these leaks are good for BlackBerry and there is no real legitimate way for them to capitalize off of it unless they can definitively prove beyond reasonable doubt that they're NOT effected by the NSA as well.

I really cannot wrap my brain around the whole 'this system is more secure than that system' argument when no one really knows. I will say though, if one system makes you feel more secure than all others then by all means.. you should be using it.
    01-17-14 01:27 AM
    Not that I'm a fan of the government snooping on what I assume to be private conversations, but what I'm really more concerned with is how and what my fellow citizens can do, or are doing, to pull data off my mobile devices and from my connections on the Internet. I am really having a hard time finding intelligent information to consider as to whether I should be as alarmed as some suggest, or whether some are drumming up paranoia in order to sell "mobile security for smartphones". I just want to know if my communications are safe and if I'm safe to use my phone to access sensitive data such as banking. And also what, if any, advantages I have using a non enterprise BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leehardballer12; 01-19-14 at 02:29 PM.
    01-17-14 09:16 PM
    Good response.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 11:34 PM
    I just want to know if my communications are safe and if I'm safe to use my phone to access sensitive data such as banking. And also what, if any, advantages I have using a non enterprise BlackBerry.
    There seems to be a good amount of us asking that question. I'm trying to look for any info regarding if BBM, specifically, has any advantages, but there haven't been any responses yet:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...antage-894069/
    01-21-14 02:04 AM