To elevate BBM population, is it now the right time to give up PIN as BBM contact ID and use phone number instead, like WA?
    PIN is paid based only or for BBM Protect.
    Custom PIN is subscription based only.

Don't bash me, I am not a troll.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 10:28 PM
    No!

Using phone number would remove one level of control, which we don't want happen with BBM
    03-25-15 11:08 PM
    Not sure how that would help you add more contacts!

Let say BlackBerry does that tomorrow, are you gonna have more contacts on your BBM tomorrow? I highly doubt it!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 11:39 PM
    Interesting, instead of paying for a custom pin I'd definitely pay a fee to use my cell phone number instead

BBM: 2BE320B5 CHANNEL: C00121E43
    askarian likes this.
    03-25-15 11:59 PM
    Just like WA, all of you phone contacts will automatically becomes your BBM contacts.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:04 AM
    Interesting, instead of paying for a custom pin I'd definitely pay a fee to use my cell phone number instead

BBM: 2BE320B5 CHANNEL: C00121E43
    Well, I guess that is because you after a BlackBerry addict

Normal user out there will think the other way around.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:19 AM
    Not sure how that would help you add more contacts!

Let say BlackBerry does that tomorrow, are you gonna have more contacts on your BBM tomorrow? I highly doubt it!

Posted via CB10
    Just like WA (WhatsApp), all of you phone contacts will automatically becomes your BBM contacts.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:20 AM
    Just like WA (WhatsApp), all of you phone contacts will automatically becomes your BBM contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, you're wrong.

Only people that installed BBM will become your contacts. And BBM is nowhere near the same userbase as whatsapp.

Also you are also wrong on a second thing: BBM doesn't need your phone number if they what to implement an "automatic contact add". Look at your suggested BBM contacts, they can already automatically add contacts. They just need to remove the two way authorisation

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 08:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    But this is what we DON't want....

connected to phone number is crazy the way WA does it... and very insecure

Your list of contacts is sent to the WA cloud, and you can "see" who else is on WA - and you can message anyone you have the number to..

and when that someone gets the phone stolen, or change number - and You keep msg him on the old number... the msg can go to someone else... Or - when a number is re-used by the phone company.. trouble...

I guess there could be made ways to secure this if they really wanted... but it is one of the Good things separating BBM from WA

NO automatic contact adding - NO new BBM contacts without my explicit permission/approval

the PIN is connected to the hardware - the physical device - and no 2 the same exist. But when you get a new phone, your approved contacts are automatically imported back in place into the new device - and your contacts BBM is updated with new info..

The New Custom PIN subscription - is a next level again - where the PIN is connected to your BBID, and not the device directly... Using this custom PIN people can add you without having any more clues about your device - it can be a Blackberry, a Samsung - any device where you have BBM... and when you change device - the custom PIN follows you...

So NO thank you for any automatic options in BBM... Let's keep it private and secure
    03-26-15 08:57 AM
    But this is what we DON't want.... connected to phone number is crazy the way WA does it...
    Nailed it.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    03-26-15 10:14 AM
    No. If you want that get WhatsApp
    03-26-15 10:34 AM
    Being one of those who receive advertisement on Whatsapp simply because a company decided to sell my personal information, I would be against such a move. It is one of the reasons why I refuse to contact my family and friends on Whatsapp and gave them the option of either getting BBM or stick to SMS. I can't block unknown numbers from contacting me on WA, and I have no patience nor time to block every advertisement sent to me there from a random international number.
    If BBM can even get rid of the suggested contacts, I would like it even more, but that isn't going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 11:38 AM
    Just like WA, all of you phone contacts will automatically becomes your BBM contacts.

Posted via CB10
    That would be the absolute worst thing ever.

I want to completely control who is on my BBM contact list. I WANT it to be a managed subset of my overall contact list. That's the entire point of BBM for me.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-26-15 11:47 AM
    Nope, you're wrong.

Only people that installed BBM will become your contacts. And BBM is nowhere near the same userbase as whatsapp.

Also you are also wrong on a second thing: BBM doesn't need your phone number if they what to implement an "automatic contact add". Look at your suggested BBM contacts, they can already automatically add contacts. They just need to remove the two way authorisation

Posted via CB10
    You are right, I stand corrected.

It is automatically only for the contact who install BBM (just like WA, they need to have WA installed)

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 01:35 AM
    Not feeling that!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 01:40 AM
    It's a battle of user base and privacy. In some point the user base is declining and those user base are customer base not business user. I just don't want BBM to be shut down because user base are declining. It's been a while since I exchange my PIN to a friend.
    I want BBM become income source rather than an expense. To go there, BBM must have huge user base and increasing.
    As I said in my original post, there could be a paid BBM which could have setting to prohibited other BBM user to view your phone number.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 01:42 AM
    Actually, such a battle doesn't exist, as BlackBerry made it clear with their roadmap. They are focusing on productivity and not putting much effort on the regular consumer group.
    I highly doubt they would shut down BBM, a key application that is shipped with every BlackBerry device. They would, as seen recently, try to add features and monetize it as much as possible.
    Privacy and security are only a couple of things BlackBerry is known for. They would not jeopardize that for some temporary increase of users to BBM.
    As an example, look at what happened when BBM went cross-platform. Sure, we saw a rise in the userbase, but it was temporary. Those users from other platforms returned to Whatsapp, Viber, or whatever messaging application that is currently hip.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 01:59 AM
    No to the OP, the BlackBerry PIN is one of the most important reasons I use BBM. And the phone no is the most important reason I will never use WA or Viber. Not gonna put my phone number on any kind of 3rd party app.

Posted via CB10 from my exquisite Passport on TMO Romania
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    03-27-15 05:09 AM
    Actually, such a battle doesn't exist, as BlackBerry made it clear with their roadmap. They are focusing on productivity and not putting much effort on the regular consumer group.
    I highly doubt they would shut down BBM, a key application that is shipped with every BlackBerry device. They would, as seen recently, try to add features and monetize it as much as possible.
    Privacy and security are only a couple of things BlackBerry is known for. They would not jeopardize that for some temporary increase of users to BBM.
    As an example, look at what happened when BBM went cross-platform. Sure, we saw a rise in the userbase, but it was temporary. Those users from other platforms returned to Whatsapp, Viber, or whatever messaging application that is currently hip.

Posted via CB10
    The question is, is the current user base supports BlackBerry to monetize BBM? Is 500 million is more attractive than 100 million? Yes, if course.
    How far in the future can it stands become expense center rather than an income center?
    It is still option to retain PIN but in maybe BBM as one time paid app. If privacy is so important people will pay for it. Let's see the proportion later on.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 06:22 AM
    No to the OP, the BlackBerry PIN is one of the most important reasons I use BBM. And the phone no is the most important reason I will never use WA or Viber. Not gonna put my phone number on any kind of 3rd party app.

Then paid BBM is the proposed solution. Your phone number will be off from your contacts.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 06:24 AM
    The question is, is the current user base supports BlackBerry to monetize BBM? Is 500 million is more attractive than 100 million? Yes, if course.
    How far in the future can it stands become expense center rather than an income center?
    It is still option to retain PIN but in maybe BBM as one time paid app. If privacy is so important people will pay for it. Let's see the proportion later on.

Posted via CB10
    There is no single clear answer to such a question. Some support BBM by purchasing stickers, custom pins (though the recent Crackberry poll showed the majority ignoring such a thing due to monthly payments, and what not.
    Not sure how you did not understand from the previous post that BlackBerry isn't interested in numbers, when their direction is far away from normal consumers.
    Again, BBM is something that is an application that comes by default on every BlackBerry device and cannot be (as far as I know) uninstalled. The worst decision by BlackBerry would be to force BlackBerry device owners to pay a fee to use it. That's like Apple making its users pay to use iMessage. Something you cannot remove AND you need to pay for it? Come on.
    To you, 500 million is more appealing than 100 million. To me, getting a steady 100 million is way better than reaching 500 million once and losing most of what's left of its userbase.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 08:08 AM
    Then paid BBM is the proposed solution. Your phone number will be off from your contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Then I'll pay

03-27-15 01:02 PM
    Just get the Voice and video option right and a small amount of colourful marketing....People wont bother to ask for pin and quit whatsapp when they get it perfectly in BBM...
    Do it BlackBerry...let the earliest messenger service reclaim its throne
    Let us have a loot number of contacts in our phone

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 02:24 PM
    Forgot to mention....Giving out number via BBM is the ugliest idea I would say...2 months before, I quit whatsapp and now I am only in BBM. you wont believe how much amount of peace I have now...no unnecessary questions...no unnecessary forwards...lifes good now

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 02:25 PM
    Forgot to mention....Giving out number via BBM is the ugliest idea I would say...2 months before, I quit whatsapp and now I am only in BBM. you wont believe how much amount of peace I have now...no unnecessary questions...no unnecessary forwards...lifes good now
    Life can't be that good, you've got your BBM PIN in your username for all to see & add lol just saying...
    03-27-15 02:31 PM
76 123 ...