This sounds more like a server side bug or crappy data connection.
    Server side bug: potentially.
    Crappy data connection: definitely not. I tested that inside-out and upside-down. And of course under many different network quality situations, including excellent signal in many different networks.
    08-03-14 03:58 AM
    I hate it, but have to agree.
    Like I said it in an earlier post in this (or in a different BBM) thread, I think it is more a management problem that they are facing - trying to roll out apps for platforms that they don't have good development skills for. I'm sure their developers try hard - but it is not gonna work, if you don't have the skills in the team.
    That's fair. It may be management, but then they need to go get the skills, even if it means contracting the work out to top firms.

The other thing BlackBerry needs as they rebuild their reputation is managers who have a much, much higher standard for what it is good enough to ship. There are more people using BBMx than using BB10 phones. So BBMx has a major impact on the brand, and whoever is running BBM should be accountable for this.
    08-03-14 07:50 AM
    So BBMx has a major impact on the brand, and whoever is running BBM should be accountable for this.
    This is exactly the issue. I'm almost afraid that it's too late already.
    I have lost most of the BBM friends on iOS (as BBM friends, not as regular friends), who I talked into installing it and using it instead of Whatsapp. And I think none of them would consider going back to BBM, even if the quality would improve tomorrow, and dramatically. They actually asked me to not mention BBM any longer, as they got so annoyed while using it, and me 'advertising' for it.
    And the first feedback of the one new BBM WP user that I asked to install BBM last week isn't too good either....

And, I have to say, I kinda miss using Whatsapp and not having to wonder why my messages almost never get answered by iOS users, and having to call or text them in order to make sure our communication works. I think that if there wasn't this Facebook acquisition, even I would have abandoned BBM and re-joined WA already.
    austriker likes this.
    08-03-14 09:49 AM
    So BBMx has a major impact on the brand, and whoever is running BBM should be accountable for this.
    Some more thoughts on this:
    Are the relevant managers aware of the issues?
    The obvious answer is yes, of course.
    But why has absolutely nothing changed in 9 or so months?

So the managers either are NOT aware, or they are, but didn't want to/were not able to change anything.
    Both options stand for serious management failure.
    This brings me back to my previous point: they have a management problem.
    08-03-14 09:55 AM
    I did provide the feedback, including specific instructions on how to do this and links to WWDC videos that describe how to do this, but I didn't hear anything back.

We tried BBM for Windows this week in the office, and it's terrible, too. I don't understand why BlackBerry can't hire good developers. Chen really needs to set up a shop in SV to focus on this issue. I understand BlackBerry might not be the smartest career move for a top developer right now, but they could at least think about letting a few contracts to get the apps in order.

It's frustrating because if they want to compete, even in the enterprise sector, they are ultimately going to have to raise their standard on the app side of the house.
    Wow, this is really good feed back. It's good to hear information like this from a knowledgeable source. BlackBerry should really listen to what you have to say.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 07:23 PM
    I know this is a bit off topic, but as of this morning I can no longer send PM's from my CB app. Does anyone have this problem as well? I'm using my iPod 5. Guess I'll have to go into my browser now to send PM's now?? There use to be a tab that said "message".
    No notifications or delayed messages to an iphone-img_20140805_081231.jpg
    No notifications or delayed messages to an iphone-img_20140805_081240.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 09:17 AM
    I wonder if this new version will improve things for ios users,lets hope so.

Posted via CB10
    LibertyPhone and CDM76 like this.
    08-12-14 05:36 AM
    Until I read about the ABSENCE of bugs, including poor notifications of new BBM's, or no notifications unless app is open, in iOS, I will Not embarrass myself (or for the matter BlackBerry) by encouraging my decreasing amount of BBM friends on iOS from installing new upgrade.
    Anyone have more encouraging news to report?

Should not the prime focus of any new release, for iOS, be the whole notifications issue .... and nothing else?

Posted via CB10
    Blomsternisse likes this.
    08-12-14 07:45 AM
    Should not the prime focus of any new release, for iOS, be the whole notifications issue .... and nothing else?
    I agree. The nonsense-changelog that was published today contained mainly features that already existed (with the exception of display barcode and scan barcode on one screen). Over the next few days, I will try to figure out if the notification situation improved. If not, then even I will consider to abandon BBM and move back to WA. I think the waiting and the frustration was long/big enough, and cosmetics-only upgrades just make everything worse.
    08-12-14 11:46 AM
    Still seeing delays here. The iOS and Windows Phone versions are worse than jokes, they are severely damaging the BlackBerry brand.
    Blomsternisse likes this.
    08-12-14 12:01 PM
    I agree. The nonsense-changelog that was published today contained mainly features that already existed (with the exception of display barcode and scan barcode on one screen). Over the next few days, I will try to figure out if the notification situation improved. If not, then even I will consider to abandon BBM and move back to WA. I think the waiting and the frustration was long/big enough, and cosmetics-only upgrades just make everything worse.
    I agree too. The failure of BlackBerry to address the failings in a simple messaging app... when virtually every other such app just works, is unconscionable.

While I'm very excited about the coming Passport, it baffles me how Chen can be in charge without addressing first things first. And that first thing should have been RELIABILITY.

Posted via CB10
    Blomsternisse and Schmurf like this.
    08-12-14 12:54 PM
    Yesterday I had the opportunity to test the new BBM versions that were released a few days ago (for both BB10 and iOS) with my iOS BBM friend who, in the past, never got a notification on the BBM icon, and yesterday he always got the notification, almost instantly.
    I keep my fingers crossed that this was not just a flash in the pan.
    08-15-14 03:15 AM
    Same thing here its been a week and messages between my z30 and a I phone 5 have been instant and the iPhone always gets a preview on the lock screen and the app badge Icon.

Storm to curve 9360 to z10 to z30
    08-19-14 02:19 PM
    Same thing here its been a week and messages between my z30 and a I phone 5 have been instant and the iPhone always gets a preview on the lock screen and the app badge Icon.

Storm to curve 9360 to z10 to z30
    Don't want to jinx it.. but I think you're right
    08-19-14 05:19 PM
    BBM still working beautifully for me on iOS. I'm on iOS 8 beta 5 and have no problems on WiFi, 3G and LTE. BBMs are sent and received instantly or close to it, and everything updates in the background.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    08-20-14 02:16 PM
    The latest update does seem to resolve notification issues to iPhone 5s that I communicate often with from my Z10.

Fingers crossed that it remains stable... FINALLY!!

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:39 PM
    I met the 2 guys with iphones who always had problems with BBM notifications in the past, and they both confirmed to me that since the last update, they did not experience any of these problems again.
    I also tested all problematic scenarios that I am aware of with their phones and could no longer reproduce any issues.
    Seems like the notification bugs are finally gone.

Final remarks:
    Of course I am grateful and happy that this got resolved. Thanks to the developers.
    However, needing 9+ months to fix a severe problem is not really acceptable.
    Equally annoying is the total lack of communication and information. I fully understand that no company wants to get into the dialogues of madness in internet forums. And admitting to having a severe bug in one of the key products is also not what companies usually do (which I do not understand as anybody knows about them anyway, and the absence of communication is a.) making users increasingly angry and b.) eventually makes them move to competitor's products or even to abandon the brand).

I don't have a perfect solution but think this needs to be handled smarter, more customer friendly.
    So just as an idea. How about closer communication with sites like CB? Carefully tailored information flow to trusted sites might help everybody.
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-24-14 06:18 AM
    If the BlackBerry team doesn't have someone, or several people, monitoring this die-hard fan site, to help trouble shooting issues before they become BIG problems, then they still have upper management problems of great concern to future survival.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 07:15 AM
    If the BlackBerry team doesn't have someone, or several people, monitoring this die-hard fan site, to help trouble shooting issues before they become BIG problems, then they still have upper management problems of great concern to future survival.

Posted via CB10
    They do have ppl on this site. They rear their heads every now and then....

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 04:36 PM
    Good to know .... however, it seems their heads were during the months of dialog on these BBM issues.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-25-14 12:13 AM
    Well.... it IS possible that they got the cut (or new roles) with all the layoffs and reorganization. hope not though.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 12:24 AM
    Glad to hear that BBM on iOS is working well these days. Still haven't used it on my iPhone since maybe the second update.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-25-14 12:37 AM
    I don't know how ios app updates work, but will iPhone owners be aware there is an update to BBM? I have 5 people on my BBM contact list who have iphones, and messages to them just do not deliver. Do I have to call them/message them some other way and tell them to update their BBM, or will they know there's an update?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 09:54 AM
    I don't know how ios app updates work, but will iPhone owners be aware there is an update to BBM? I have 5 people on my BBM contact list who have iphones, and messages to them just do not deliver. Do I have to call them/message them some other way and tell them to update their BBM, or will they know there's an update?

Posted via CB10
    I think they can configure it in a way to update installed apps automatically. As I can't be sure all of my iOS BBM friends having done so, I always send everybody a brief message whenever I get aware of an update.
    So far, still no notification problems with the latest version installed.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 06:51 PM
    Well, sucks to be me. I'm using an iPhone 5S with the latest iOS and BBM versions but still experiencing this problem. Push notifications and tones are all set perfectly but issue still persists.
    09-04-14 01:20 PM
161 ... 34567