Just received this in BBM:

BB10 users asked for it and we listened: If you are using BBM Consumer on your BB10 device and want to switch to an Android or iPhone, you will soon be able to import your existing contacts from BB10 into your new Android or iPhone. This feature will be included in BBM Android v3.3.14.194 and BBM iOS v300.0.141.45xx, and subsequent versions. To do so, use the Import BlackBerry 10 Contacts settings feature within BBM for Android or iPhone. In taking the steps outlined there, you will effectively move your BBM Consumer account and data from BlackBerry Limited (where it now resides) to our licensed partner for BBM Consumer on Android and iOS, Emtek and its subsidiary Creative Media Works Pte Ltd ("CMW") (Co. Reg. No. 201609444E).

Instructions for transferring contacts to Android available here

Instructions for transferring contacts to iOS available here

The advantage to moving your BBM account from BB10 to Android or iOS is that CMW has added great new services that are not available for BB10 users, including the ability to book a ride via UBER from within BBM, and content such as News, Games, Video, Comics, Polls, and e-commerce offerings such as shopping, travel and vouchers.

If you are not interested in moving to an Android or iOS at this time there is no action required. Though if at any time you decide to move to a new Android or iOS device, these steps remain available to you. BlackBerry Ltd. and CMW are continuing to work closely together and are gradually transferring certain aspects of the BBM Consumer platform to CMW, such as development of the BBM for Android and iPhone applications.

As a reminder, BlackBerry continues to operate BBM for BBOS and BlackBerry 10 and we thank you for your BBM loyalty regardless of the device you choose.

BlackBerry Ltd.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax likes this.
    04-11-18 05:55 PM
    how is this new? I have never lost contacts switching between devices. They are stored in the "cloud" as far as i know. The only issue was going back to bb10 i thought
    Last edited by howarmat; 04-11-18 at 08:28 PM.
    04-11-18 07:13 PM
    how is this new? I have never lost contacts switching between devices. They are stored in the "cloud" as far as i know. The only issue was going back to bb10 it thought
    You couldn't go the other way either. There was only a small window when you could.
    04-11-18 07:49 PM
    Just received this in BBM:

BB10 users asked for it and we listened: If you are using BBM Consumer on your BB10 device and want to switch to an Android or iPhone, you will soon be able to import your existing contacts from BB10 into your new Android or iPhone. This feature will be included in BBM Android v3.3.14.194 and BBM iOS v300.0.141.45xx, and subsequent versions. To do so, use the Import BlackBerry 10 Contacts settings feature within BBM for Android or iPhone. In taking the steps outlined there, you will effectively move your BBM Consumer account and data from BlackBerry Limited (where it now resides) to our licensed partner for BBM Consumer on Android and iOS, Emtek and its subsidiary Creative Media Works Pte Ltd ("CMW") (Co. Reg. No. 201609444E).

Instructions for transferring contacts to Android available here

Instructions for transferring contacts to iOS available here

The advantage to moving your BBM account from BB10 to Android or iOS is that CMW has added great new services that are not available for BB10 users, including the ability to book a ride via UBER from within BBM, and content such as News, Games, Video, Comics, Polls, and e-commerce offerings such as shopping, travel and vouchers.

If you are not interested in moving to an Android or iOS at this time there is no action required. Though if at any time you decide to move to a new Android or iOS device, these steps remain available to you. BlackBerry Ltd. and CMW are continuing to work closely together and are gradually transferring certain aspects of the BBM Consumer platform to CMW, such as development of the BBM for Android and iPhone applications.

As a reminder, BlackBerry continues to operate BBM for BBOS and BlackBerry 10 and we thank you for your BBM loyalty regardless of the device you choose.

BlackBerry Ltd.

BBM beta for Android makes it easier to import your BlackBerry 10 BBM contacts https://www.crackberry.com/bbm-beta-...0-bbm-contacts
    04-11-18 07:50 PM
    how is this new? I have never lost contacts switching between devices. They are stored in the "cloud" as far as i know. The only issue was going back to bb10 it thought
    Not going from BB10 to android or ios. That was no longer possible.
    04-11-18 08:15 PM
    wow so they really screwed you in the end.
    04-11-18 08:24 PM
    wow so they really screwed you in the end.
    I honestly don't think BlackBerry originally gave much thought to people on consumer BBM on BB10. They assumed most had already moved to Android or iOS by now. But now that they're planning for EOL, they're upping their game just a little to help people transition.

04-12-18 07:49 AM
    I honestly don't think BlackBerry originally gave much thought to people on consumer BBM on BB10. They assumed most had already moved to Android or iOS by now. But now that they're planning for EOL, they're upping their game just a little to help people transition.

No one had an apple phone before the iphone came out either but the returning CEO had a clue how to market.
    I think founders have passion for their companies where career MBA type executives are generally just there for a sweet package.
    04-13-18 08:08 AM
    No one had an apple phone before the iphone came out either but the returning CEO had a clue how to market.
    I think founders have passion for their companies where career MBA type executives are generally just there for a sweet package.
    People had iPods. That was the built-in market that Apple leveraged.

For consumers, adding a phone to a media/app device was more in tune with their needs than having to add a media/app experience to a phone.
    04-13-18 08:19 AM
    People had iPods. That was the built-in market that Apple leveraged.

For consumers, adding a phone to a media/app device was more in tune with their needs than having to add a media/app experience to a phone.
    The iPhone was released before the iPad. Steve jobs started working on the iPad internally first but then realized the phone was bigger and more important cause of that vision thing i'm talking about.
    04-13-18 08:25 AM
    The iPhone was released before the iPad. Steve jobs started working on the iPad internally first but then realized the phone was bigger and more important cause of that vision thing i'm talking about.
    iPod, not iPad.
    04-13-18 08:28 AM
    iPod NOT iPad
    04-13-18 08:29 AM
    As i understand this thing allows you to move to android or iOS with your BB10 BBID so that your BBM Contacts can remain as it is.... BUT why is BlackBerry even trying to do such a contact exporting thing to Android if it had decided Emtek users need another server?

Trying to undo whats already done?
    04-14-18 05:07 AM
    As i understand this thing allows you to move to android or iOS with your BB10 BBID so that your BBM Contacts can remain as it is.... BUT why is BlackBerry even trying to do such a contact exporting thing to Android if it had decided Emtek users need another server?

As with any divorce, it's the kids who feel the unintended consequences.
    04-14-18 05:17 AM

You can't move your existing BBID in either direction anymore - your have to make a new account.

This will allow you to import your contacts from a previous account.
    04-14-18 07:42 AM
    Dunno what's going on. Either BlackBerry is just be courteous or else the currently active and installed base of BlackBerry BBM users is significant enough that it's worth trying to nudge them over.

Sorry, to be honest if I'm not on BlackBerry anymore I don't see much reason to use BBM not run by BlackBerry. There are plenty other options that are just as good as consumer BBM by some 3rd party...
    04-14-18 09:28 PM
    Dunno what's going on. Either BlackBerry is just be courteous or else the currently active and installed base of BlackBerry BBM users is significant enough that it's worth trying to nudge them over.

Sorry, to be honest if I'm not on BlackBerry anymore I don't see much reason to use BBM not run by BlackBerry. There are plenty other options that are just as good as consumer BBM by some 3rd party...
    Agreed I have had BBM on BBOS and wanted a BB10 device but never was able to get there reluctantly I’m on iOS never the latest phones always typically a 2-3 year old model.

I am using BBM on iOS and made that switch the moment I got on iOS and that was with an unlocked iPhone 3GS then 5s and now 6s.

As much as I like BBM it’s no longer a daily platform to chat on unless which maybe here I will be gaining new friends to chat. (My pin:7966C4B0)

Most of my ppl have jumped ship years ago to other platforms.

Sadly my IT Security and privacy hat has always been there. I would hope the perfect storm is brewing for a resurgence in Blackberry amongst consumers due to that but in the end most people don’t value it as they should...yet.

BBM falls short for me now - yes I think the channels and the app api integration for uber etc is phenomenal but those things don’t have enough traction in the West (Europe/US) the audience they Emtek is catering to us mostly Indonesia.

Also we have lost a focus on privacy and encryption- BBM consumer IS not encrypted PERIOD

WhatsApp had adopted signal on the back end even though its owner is a big data miner (FB) ,
    iMessage is encrypted in its own ecosystem ,

Signal by itself is fast and simple and well encrypted

People should advocate for privacy and demand it in there communication platforms of choice we are in a world where words taken out of context are used to mid inform others that includes sound bytes / Video and or emails and text.

If Blackberry cares about security and privacy which they do then they would address this, Oh hold up my bad , they do but they have pushed the side project we all love and remember to be secure to an external vendor that is about marketing

I would have gladly and will Pay gladly for a secure version of BBM that reduces adds but allows for channels and encryption etc.

Sadly that is not in the cards for the future.

My rant in March of last year.....

05-12-18 08:28 AM
    You can't move your existing BBID in either direction anymore - your have to make a new account.

This will allow you to import your contacts from a previous account.
    Wouldn't this be a really nice thing to allow?
    05-12-18 12:20 PM