BBM update for IOS - I hear from IOS users that after the update they are not receiving the messages unless the application is started, it will not notify you when a message arrived. (It will although when you check bbm).

Anybody else experiencing this issue?
    Yep... I'm experiencing this issue with my BBMe contacts on iOS since the recent update as well... 😠

Bob
    01-19-20 10:31 AM
    Thank you, it confirms to us we are not crazy. Yes, same problem with a bbm update last year. We had a ticket open with BlackBerry at that time... took a bit to convince them of the issue.
    Indeed it needs usually another update to be pushed out.
    I’m sure BB is aware. This is probably more of a low priority concern for them as I doubt iOS platform really matters subscriber wise. Could be wrong, but it’s just life I suppose.
    01-19-20 10:53 AM
    BBM update for IOS - I hear from IOS users that after the update they are not receiving the messages unless the application is started, it will not notify you when a message arrived. (It will although when you check bbm).

Anybody else experiencing this issue?
    Yes, there is issue. It is because iOS13 has some new rules about how IM apps work in background. Untill April 2020 all apps would have to implement this way of functionality on iOS13. BBMe did it already, and hence it works differently now. Senders don't receive Delivery reports unless iOS13 user who received message enters app (click on notification or click on app icon).
    On the other hand, iOS13 user has to enter app, and JUST THEN, messages start to arrive and load one bu one....
    I talked to BBMe chief developer, they will look on how to solve this problem, but it is also iOS13 side problem, so they would maybe have to also try to fix this issue.
    I cannot imagine that Viber and WhatsApp will allow their apps to function this way....also iOS I think will not allow IM apps to fuction wrongly...
    So, someone has to fix this...by April....
    There is info from BBMe people that they are looking into this problem...
    Here is article about this issue.

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...n-of-voip-apps
    mousii and Bob80220 like this.
    01-20-20 03:26 AM
    This is correct. Same problem at iOS rollout last year. Similar problem with BBM from Emtek and BBM for iOS originally from BlackBerry years ago.

It gets sorted out usually on the BlackBerry side eventually. But, I’m not sure how as I don’t think it requires a new update necessarily.
    Yes, there is issue. It is because iOS13 has some new rules about how IM apps work in background. Untill April 2020 all apps would have to implement this way of functionality on iOS13. BBMe did it already, and hence it works differently now. Senders don't receive Delivery reports unless iOS13 user who received message enters app (click on notification or click on app icon).
    On the other hand, iOS13 user has to enter app, and JUST THEN, messages start to arrive and load one by one....
    I talked to BBMe chief developer, they will look on how to solve this problem, but it is also iOS13 side problem, so they would maybe have to also try to fix this issue.
    I cannot imagine that Viber and WhatsApp will allow their apps to function this way....also iOS I think will not allow IM apps to fuction wrongly...

01-20-20 03:27 AM
    Ok, thank you, this is very clear.
    01-20-20 06:22 AM
    On the other hand, iOS13 user has to enter app, and JUST THEN, messages start to arrive and load one by one....

That doesn’t make sense because I’ve been running iOS 13 for months and iOS 13.3 over 30 days.
    01-20-20 08:01 AM
    On the other hand, iOS13 user has to enter app, and JUST THEN, messages start to arrive and load one bu one....

That article refers to a change that specifically affects VoIP, not text-based chat. You’re trying to blame Apple for a problem that is specific to BBM, and has been recurring for years. Other messaging apps have managed to avoid this problem on iOS. Why can’t BlackBerry seem to get it right?
    01-20-20 08:05 AM
    That article refers to a change that specifically affects VoIP, not text-based chat. You’re trying to blame Apple for a problem that is specific to BBM, and has been recurring for years. Other messaging apps have managed to avoid this problem on iOS. Why can’t BlackBerry seem to get it right?
    It was brought up earlier in this thread that WhatsApp is also having problems.
    01-20-20 11:28 AM
    Not with iOS and I believe that was some kind of network issues affecting WhatsApp in a regional market.
    01-20-20 11:30 AM
    Problems delivering messages to iOS users due to bad implementation of background processing in their app?
    01-20-20 12:55 PM
135 ... 456