it's marketing 101
    test it! like it?
    buy it!

But they let us know that they were gonna be limited after two or three weeks from providing the features... I really think it's unprofessional from their part...

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582
    04-26-15 09:32 AM
    I really don't get how you guys don't get this?
    they added new features and let us - the users - test it. it was clear from the start that the options will be by-subscription-only in a few months.
    it's like little test products cosmetic companies give away for free: you test it and if you like it you KNOW you'll have to buy it. same thing when it comes to technology

maybe not the best move when it comes to user friendliness but it's a common tactic for companies to promote new features. it's like a trial run.
    nothing new in the business, a lot of apps for phones or laptops use the "trial-period" method.

I can absolutely understand how users who liked the feature are now upset though. There is just nothing suprising or uncommon in the way BB introduced these new options. sorry
    playfoot likes this.
    04-26-15 09:46 AM
    I really don't get how you guys don't get this?
    they added new features and let us - the users - test it. it was clear from the start that the options will be by-subscription-only in a few months.
    it's like little test products cosmetic companies give away for free: you test it and if you like it you KNOW you'll have to buy it. same thing when it comes to technology

maybe not the best move when it comes to user friendliness but it's a common tactic for companies to promote new features. it's like a trial run.
    nothing new in the business, a lot of apps for phones or laptops use the "trial-period" method.

I can absolutely understand how users who liked the feature are now upset though. There is just nothing suprising or uncommon in the way BB introduced these new options. sorry
    Thank you.. Reading some of the comments in this thread kinda make ya wanna hit your head against the wall. Some just need to complain I guess
    ZizzyLizzy likes this.
    04-26-15 09:55 AM
    I guess I can't be mad at them for running their business how they see fit. It is, however, a turn off for some (like myself) who love BlackBerry.
    Blackberry telegraphed this move to the public since the beginning. I've played with all of them and they are a bit of fun. But, it wears off with time and I haven't used them in months. A nice option but not necessary in my books.
    04-26-15 09:57 AM
    A previous question was asked about how many retracted and timed messages can be sent on the new version? Also it's not about being spoiled. Either offer it for free to us BlackBerry users OR setup a one time payment of $0.99-$2.99. I bet you BlackBerry would make more money this way.

This $0.99/month is bonkers.

Most of my apps are native and they are paid ones. Nothing cheap over here

Posted via CB10
    I use BBM for communicating with close friends and family mostly and I've managed to bring some Android and iPhone users into the BBM 'family' as a result. The message retraction and timed messages however are wasted on me so I won't be getting a subscription. The ability to hide the sticker packs made the upgrade to the new version an easy choice for me. =)

I think it's a 'work in progress' though; already they dropped the price on custom pins to $0.99 and I suspect they'll further refine subscriptions vs purchases as time goes on. I'm also assuming they're going to continue to build out features on BBM as a mini messaging platform. Ultimately I can see them ending up with a regular free BBM Lite vs BBM Premium which basically bundles all the extras under one price point. At which point I might consider purchasing as long as I'm getting decent value and use them. I don't mind paying a buck a month if I use it, but others may disagree.
    jope28 likes this.
    04-26-15 10:35 AM
    I totally agree with this view. I feel the same.

To me BlackBerry surviving and thriving is more important.

I like the new updates. I am actually pleasantly surprised and happy that they have provided 3/month free. Must have done the analysis and found that most casual users fit in this category.

I know I do, so for my purpose nothing has really changed.

A culture has developed of free in mobile. There is no such thing. Everyone pays in one form or other. With BlackBerry at least you can see up front what it is going to cost with no hidden or insidious ways like Google or FB.

Of course those who were using these features a lot will be unhappy.

One other thing: BlackBerry was always upfront when the features came out that they would be free for a limited time only. Like the transparency, again, unlike some other companies.

Personally I am happy with the update. The app is smoother, quicker, also happy with how they have implemented the invite other contacts, UI changes if the contact doesn't have a picture etc.

Edit: and I am a loyalist with having used just about every new BlackBerry starting with 7280 And I don't use whatsapp or any other IM app.

Posted Via The Classic
    04-26-15 10:55 AM
    You guys are too spoiled.

Wake up, nothing is free

If they don't charge for these premium features, they have to charge somewhere else.

I'm happy to pay for something that I like!

Posted via CB10
    totally agree
    04-26-15 11:18 AM
    I don't use those features. Meh. Kinda dumb that it said message retracted. Leads to questions n intrigue. Silly timed msgs? Get snapchat if it's such an issue. Shaddap
    04-26-15 11:34 AM
    All the more incentive for people to switch to another platform since they will still be able to get the same features but have top of the line hardware and more access to apps.

BlackBerry should definitely have made the paid features for users of other platforms. Or at the very least provided them to BlackBerry users at a one time very low cost.

I simply can't comprehend why time after time BlackBerry seems to be going out of its way to alienate current BlackBerry owners.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    04-26-15 11:46 AM
    Paid subscriptions should not be a problem if you all are said to be loyal. I pay for the Custom Pin And No Adds because I'm Loyal BB user. I would like to see blackberry get back on top. I see a lot of people complaining about these subscriptions. These in fact will help the company make money and i fully support because i want blackberry back on top. Apple users pay ridiculous prices for phones and yet we are here complaining about $1 subscription of an app . Come on Give Blackberry A break... Lets us help them gain traction.
    it's not up to us seeing as how we're 2nd rate to them. Let IOS/Android help them get traction... they won't see many $$'s coming from BB users... iOS/Android out number us by thousands... so there is your cash crop, not us.

i'm fine with BBM the way it is, without the useless "snapchatty" features and stickers. I use voice/video calling, regular image sharing and chat with the normal emoticons... i think you get more bang for your buck with the non-subscription version. custom pins are not much of an incentive.

Also, if BBRY wants to put NO money in marketing, how will $12 a year per person help? If BBRY showed me they wanted to market their products (even if directed at enterprise users) then I would be more than happy to pay more money than I have. For now, BBRY doesn't deserve this if they're not going to help themselves either.
    04-26-15 11:51 AM
    I don't use those features. Meh. Kinda dumb that it said message retracted. Leads to questions n intrigue. Silly timed msgs? Get snapchat if it's such an issue. Shaddap
    well said.
    velkod likes this.
    04-26-15 11:52 AM
    Just as my BBM list began growing with other platform users, BlackBerry follows through on this subscription change to bbm that will only discourage further adoption. Friends had actually been coming back to bbm because of the new features.

Any analysis of subscription based app models is clear. Very few people are willing to pay out of pocket for apps. Bbm is throwing away an opportunity to substantially grow it's user base and demonstrate superiority in instant messaging.

The timed messages and message retraction features, for example, have little or no extra variable cost to the company to maintain. It is short sighted to create an artificial pay wall that will only discourage people from signing up - because, while incorrect, the rest of the world will hear "you have to pay for bbm now".

I've been a proud BlackBerry owner since 2005 (now on z30). Never owned a competitor smart phone.

I'm also a shareholder and have been encouraged by recent financial results, but anyone who pins the future of blackberry on its ability to monetize bbm through subscriptions is completely overstating the platform's capability. It's small potatoes in the grand scheme.

If, however, they focussed on growing the user base to the most popular and secure messaging app available, as it should be- bbm would become infinitely more valuable. Unfortunately- the subscription model will prevent this from happening.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 11:55 AM
    All the more incentive for people to switch to another platform since they will still be able to get the same features but have top of the line hardware and more access to apps.

BlackBerry should definitely have made the paid features for users of other platforms. Or at the very least provided them to BlackBerry users at a one time very low cost.

I simply can't comprehend why time after time BlackBerry seems to be going out of its way to alienate current BlackBerry owners.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    I think the same: is there a difference between ppl who have chosen blackeberry and those who have chosen another platform or not?

I guess that, at this point, there is no difference, in Chen's mind...

They would have leaved these new features free to us, few loyalists...
    04-26-15 11:57 AM
    I think the same: is there a difference between ppl who have chosen blackeberry and those who have chosen another platform or not?

I guess that, at this point, there is no difference, in Chen's mind...

They would have leaved these new features free to us, few loyalists...
    you also gotta consider Chen not considering either of you (consumers, i'm guessing) as his audience. of course why mess with timed msgs, stickers and all that fluff if BBRY is supposed to be geared at enterprise? BBRY is contradicting themselves.
    04-26-15 12:03 PM
    Try it, like it then buy it/pay for it... If you don't like then don't buy it...
    Simple as that...
    If some hate BlackBerry that much (due to updates) then switch to another brand. Their not forcing people to stay.
    BlackBerry user for 5yrs now and yes, most are chargable and I just like it the way it is coz it simply works for me.
    And if one is looking for free stuff, then go use a little green robot...

via Passport
    04-26-15 12:07 PM
    Nobody is spoiled here and certainly not by BBM. WhatsApp is BBM's main competitor now more then ever on BB10 platform. Since BBM has in-app purchase now and WhatsApp has calling feature I think we can compare them head to head.

WhatsApp costs $0.99 per year for all of its features.
    BBM wants $0.99 or more for features like stickers, custom username (PIN), Snapchat messaging,encrypted messaging, no ads and video conferencing. While its nice of BBM to fragment all these features so you get to pick ones you need they are quite pricey. Also there is no discounted bundling and some of the choices to charge money like custom PIN is really and odd choice.

While with BBM you get more features than WA but for a lot more $$$ on WhatsApp you get broader user base and now with voice call it can literally replace your phone especially in the countries where you are still limited with amount of minutes. WA Voice call quality (BBMs biggest quality) is quite good, still not as good as BBM but you don't have "Connecting" stage so I call it a draw. Lets not forget that anyone can contact you on BBM now if they have your email so say bye bye to privacy (reason I picked BBM) and on that end WA does a better job because it offers phone number matching instead of email.

Point is all the features BBM wants separate charges for are already available for free on some other messengers like Snapchat, WebEx, etc. BBM doesn't have a user base to try to command these prices they are asking for and while I agree that it can't be free their semi-free approach will only hurt them as they will not generate any sales at all. Like I said fragmentation looks good on paper but 99% of will not opt in for a single thing because we don't have to and their subscription system will collapse.

If they want money they should really charge like $0.99 per year for all the features (sans eBBM and BBM Protected) and simultaneously offer free option but only with basic IMing and not even a voice call. But here is the kicker: paying users can voice call, video call, send timed messages to non-paying users who can only be on the receiving end of these features. Paying users get more stickers as well
    Maybe offer one year trial for new users with all the features unlocked. Anyhow I believe this system would generate a lot more sales than monthly overpriced subscriptions.
    bounce007 and solitude1984 like this.
    04-26-15 12:11 PM
    I don't think it will matter or it's a deal breaker... Remember we all fell in love with BBM long before these features existed. We all can use those same as before and they are free. It's not always that you need to retract message or send timed message.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    04-26-15 12:12 PM
    I don't think it will matter or it's a deal breaker... Remember we all fell in love with BBM long before these features existed. We all can use those same as before and they are free. It's not always that you need to retract message or send timed message.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah! I agree... I've never even used Timed and/or Retract ever not even once...
    Well, if maybe if I'd be doing something "shady" I just might...

via Passport
    04-26-15 12:24 PM
    The thing that sucks is that they made them free and available unlimitedly to everyone and they just took them away... not a smart thing to do even if they warned about it. I say they shouldn't have made them free from the first place. Their logic is so-not-logic...
    Actually, the logic is quite sound. Many mobile software developers will do this for one simple reason... If you're going to charge for services, you first need to make sure said services are working relatively bug free, and the back end is optimized to accommodate them. If they don't beta the features and perform soak tests, then they run the very likely risk of disgruntled users getting upset because they're paying for features that don't work properly or efficiently.

If they had charged for the services right out of the gate, they run the risk of putting a sour taste in the mouths of users who would have paid, but cancelled not willing to ride out the adjustment period and likely not re-subscribe later when all is well and good. It's one thing to acknowledge many users won't pay regardless, but it'd be folly to run the risk of losing those who would have paid but now won't.

With a free beta period, sure there's going to be upset users (this thread as an example) when the trial ends, but most of those users likely wouldn't have paid regardless. However, there's also the likelihood that some users who probably wouldn't have paid for the features from the get-go, got a taste of the features and decided they do find them worth paying for.

So the logic is this... Enticing users who normally wouldn't have paid, is a much better option than to risk losing some of those who probably would have.
    solitude1984 likes this.
    04-26-15 12:52 PM
    Some of you saying we fell in love with BBM before these features existed need to remember that stagnation and a lack of innovation caused BlackBerry to be in the predicament it's in right now. Technology evolves, and great new features keep people interested.
    04-26-15 12:57 PM
    I'm loyal to a friend, family member, spouse not any company. Doesn't bother me if they charge for it because I don't really care about it and I don't have loyalty to any company. I will stick with one if they produce things that are good and that I like but loyal to a company just because they make money off of me? To each their own.
    This.

They have a right to design their product as they see fit. I have the right to speak with my $$$ as I see fit.

Though I sure do find this thread to be full of melodrama.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-26-15 12:59 PM
    Try it, like it then buy it/pay for it... If you don't like then don't buy it...
    Simple as that...
    If some hate BlackBerry that much (due to updates) then switch to another brand. Their not forcing people to stay.
    BlackBerry user for 5yrs now and yes, most are chargable and I just like it the way it is coz it simply works for me.
    And if one is looking for free stuff, then go use a little green robot...

via Passport
    Quite a few people seem to be loving that little green robot, some seem to love the bitten fruit, and some love opening windows. lol

And since you threw your statistic in let me throw mine in... 10 year (9.5 so I rounded up) BlackBerry Loyalist Fanatic here. Comments like these, telling people to go use another device don't help the brand we love. So chill.
    extisis likes this.
    04-26-15 01:01 PM
    I have the right to speak with my $$$ as I see fit.

Though I sure do find this thread to be full of melodrama.
    and your post is adding to it.
    04-26-15 01:17 PM
    Your Arsenal is full of BS,no one is making you pay if you don't want to.
    04-26-15 03:16 PM
    I'm a BlackBerry loyalist and I could care less! They should monetize BBM. I have a custom PIN and if it helps BlackBerry, then a BlackBerry loyalist shouldn't complain.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 03:23 PM
139 12345 ...