I have a friend who broke her blackberry so got an iphone then installed BBM today and got a pin and she couldnt receive pics on her device (first issue although i guess this is a device issue but unsure how to solve). A restart wouldnt fix it so i told her to delete the app, restart, install the app, restart then try it, she did all that and she was assigned a new pin!? using the same device she was assigned a new pin. Blackberry need to fix this, u can loose ur pin and contacts if u delete the app surley...
    10-23-13 04:35 PM
    Oh well so be it.

BlackBerry Z10, powerful tool indeed.
    10-23-13 04:37 PM
    Your contacts are associated with your BBID.. so they are synced

Posted via CB10
    KiaKahaMedia and neoberry99 like this.
    10-23-13 04:37 PM
    I know that they are associated with your BB id but why are u given a new pin if u delete the app
    10-24-13 06:02 AM
    Can somebody tell me the advantages of using BBM for an IOS user. A friend said "why would I use BBM using data when I have unlimited texts with my plan". I kind of see his point!
    Tks

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 06:14 AM
    I know that they are associated with your BB id but why are u given a new pin if u delete the app
    Because there is no trace of the old PIN when you remove the app and reinstall it. They could place it in the cloud, but how would they know what device had which BBID if you reinstalled BBM on two devices? They could try to store some HW specific values on their servers, but it does not matter. It's just like changing your phone - it still works.

If you share your barcode/PIN code instead of your BBID, this will of course fail.

The PIN is just used for routing purposes using the SRP (Service Routing Protocol). Think of it as an IP address - it's just an endpoint.

They key question is: Which "id" do you want to share with other users to let them find you? Email? Phone number? PIN? BBID?
    WhatsApp uses Phone Number which is very easy, but not so smart if you change your phone number and another person is assigned your number.
    BBM used to have only PIN numbers. It was smart for the SRP usage, but had lots of issues. E.g. if you were admin of a group (with no extra admin) and your device broke - the group was unmanagable forever. This is why the added the BBID as an abstraction layer.

BBID is usually your email address anyway, so it is easier to remember for invites. Behind the scenes the PIN is still used for the actual transmission.

So the short answer to your question: It's easy, simple and reliable to assign a new PIN when BBM is installed as an app.
    ital1, neoberry99 and araskin like this.
    10-24-13 06:30 AM
    Can somebody tell me the advantages of using BBM for an IOS user. A friend said "why would I use BBM using data when I have unlimited texts with my plan". I kind of see his point!
    Tks

Posted via CB10
    encryption, no international texting rates, see when your message has been delivered and when the other person has read it, need more ?
    10-24-13 06:30 AM
    Tks

Posted via CB10
    For a start you have
    - Delivery and read status
    - Extended character set (special characters is not possible via SMS)
    - Group messages
    - Future BBM Channes
    - Future voice, video and possible screen sharing.

Possible more, but this should do it for an initial discussion.

If you friend does not need the above, texting is fine, simple and works on all platforms.
    10-24-13 06:33 AM
    Why is he complaining they changed the pin? Did they change your BlackBerry ID? Pls shift

From Zuri my Z10.
    10-24-13 06:33 AM
    Tks

Posted via CB10
    1)No compression of photos and videos through BBM. With sms files are compressed and what would be a clear video or picture on BBM, turns into a blurry thumbnail with sms.

2)Read/delivered notifications

3)Future update will include voice calling and video calling, as well as channels. Sms will never have this

4)Customize and update your status

5)Know if your contacts are available and where your contacts are. Conversely, you can let tour contacts know you are busy and unavailable

6) fast, reliable and super secure

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    10-24-13 06:38 AM
    I see the person point about txt. If you have a small data plan then you may want to just stick to their unlimited txt. These people will not be using the other messengers either if data is an issue.
    10-24-13 06:46 AM
    Good ur friend have unlimited text, unfortunately not everybody in his contacts also have unli text subscriptions

Z10 STL100-2 10.1.0.4181
    10-24-13 06:47 AM
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 3259 seconds.

haha funny msg I just had ;p

anyway I wanted to say that maybe you shouldn't try to convince people to join bbm using option that will (maybe) come in the future, are you sure it will come ? if it doesn't do you think people will be "ahhhh, that's ok, I didn't want that anyway"
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 10-24-13 at 07:14 PM.
    jpvj likes this.
    10-24-13 06:48 AM
    Wait! If she has unlimited voice plan why she is using SMS? Just call everybody to answer their sms/bbm/whatsapp to say "ok". Or: wait.. she can get the tube and reach her friend to talk directly to them...

Posted via CB10
    jpvj and neoberry99 like this.
    10-24-13 06:54 AM
    Wait! If she has unlimited voice plan why she is using SMS? Just call everybody to answer their sms/bbm/whatsapp to say "ok". Or: wait.. she can get the tube and reach her friend to talk directly to them...

Posted via CB10
    Lmao

From Zuri my Z10.
    10-24-13 07:02 AM
    Wait so if someone gets a new phone and downloads Bbm again they won't be able to keep their same pin?
    10-24-13 08:16 AM
    Wait so if someone gets a new phone and downloads Bbm again they won't be able to keep their same pin?
    Doesn't matter really, their contacts won't have to Reinvite them

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 08:24 AM
    That gives me a whole new understanding. Thankyou. I still believe Blackberry should try implent a pin for a device and it should stay even if u delete the app but thats my personal opinion. Maybe they could use the phone imei or something to associated a pin with a device but then theres trouble with confidentiality on storing imeis of phones... Must be a simpler easier way
    Because there is no trace of the old PIN when you remove the app and reinstall it. They could place it in the cloud, but how would they know what device had which BBID if you reinstalled BBM on two devices? They could try to store some HW specific values on their servers, but it does not matter. It's just like changing your phone - it still works.

If you share your barcode/PIN code instead of your BBID, this will of course fail.

The PIN is just used for routing purposes using the SRP (Service Routing Protocol). Think of it as an IP address - it's just an endpoint.

They key question is: Which "id" do you want to share with other users to let them find you? Email? Phone number? PIN? BBID?
    WhatsApp uses Phone Number which is very easy, but not so smart if you change your phone number and another person is assigned your number.
    BBM used to have only PIN numbers. It was smart for the SRP usage, but had lots of issues. E.g. if you were admin of a group (with no extra admin) and your device broke - the group was unmanagable forever. This is why the added the BBID as an abstraction layer.

BBID is usually your email address anyway, so it is easier to remember for invites. Behind the scenes the PIN is still used for the actual transmission.

So the short answer to your question: It's easy, simple and reliable to assign a new PIN when BBM is installed as an app.
    10-24-13 09:07 AM
    I have a friend who broke her blackberry so got an iphone then installed BBM today and got a pin and she couldnt receive pics on her device (first issue although i guess this is a device issue but unsure how to solve). A restart wouldnt fix it so i told her to delete the app, restart, install the app, restart then try it, she did all that and she was assigned a new pin!? using the same device she was assigned a new pin. Blackberry need to fix this, u can loose ur pin and contacts if u delete the app surley...
    You can't lose your contacts because what ever contacts you have will be synced and stored against your BBID which is your email address and not your PIN.

It's like saying you will lose your contacts if you change your BlackBerry phone because each phone has a different PIN, but the moment you get a new phone or another phone, as soon as you sign in with your BBID, your contacts will show up automatically. This works very well indeed, my buddy dropped his Porsche Design BlackBerry for an S4, just signed in with his original BBID and voila, all contacts intact in BBM....

On the iPhone issue, I understand that an updated BBM has been released which fixes bugs with iOS7 and other bugs
    10-24-13 09:25 AM
    My new BBM contacts on android and iphone are seriously talking about not needing facebook anymore. So if your texting plan can be considered a Facebook replacement then you're golden. Otherwise, give BBM a try and see for yourself. That's my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 09:32 AM
    What matters most is your BBID, even if your PIN changes, as long as you sign in with your BBID, you will have all your original contacts intact, and as mentioned above you will not need to re-invite them.
    10-24-13 09:34 AM
    As already noted above, but to clearify further (as people new to BBM need to know) the PIN is associated with the device based on the registration at the time, and the BBID (the critical factor) is associated with the person. So it doesn't matter that the PIN changes when that person gets a new phone. If the person gets a new phone they sign into BBM on that new device using their BBID (E-mail and password), and all contacts appear again, and the new PIN association is communicated out. ...thats the beuty of BBM. Unlike a phone number that could change if the person leaves a company that issued a phone, or leaves a region to get a more local area code ...etc. The BBID follows you for life, and people will always be able to connect with you, no matter how many phones or phone numbers you change.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    10-24-13 10:10 AM
    Tks

Posted via CB10
    Cause you friend could create a group and send the message out all at once, attach a picture of him picking his nose if he wants, and create a list of how many times a day he picks his nose, all under the same group for all included users to see. can't do that in a text app lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 10:13 AM
    If it's an old blackberry, the PIN is actually on the chip (I believe). It can't be changed. That's why blackberry moved to BBID structure, to make the accounts transferable.

?10
    10-24-13 11:05 AM
    encryption, no international texting rates, see when your message has been delivered and when the other person has read it, need more ?
    Also, text messages have a max of 160 characters. It's really annoying to split them up when you're in a conversation. At least I find it is.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-24-13 11:34 AM
30 12