Guess I'm late to the party, but I just realized BBM now has ads added to it. More specifically, I just noticed the "no ads" subscription @ $12 per year.

Aren't they concerned about the fact that What's App has no ads and is free? Seems like adding advertisements isn't going to help convince more people to start using bbm over the competition.

Posted via CB10
    shark2600 likes this.
    03-20-15 09:04 PM
    Doesn't matter its just like anything these days, nothing is free anymore, maybe whats app will start to charge.
    03-20-15 09:09 PM
    Whatsapp is not free

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    03-20-15 09:09 PM
    Guess I'm late to the party, but I just realized BBM now has ads added to it. More specifically, I just noticed the "no ads" subscription @ $12 per year.

Aren't they concerned about the fact that What's App has no ads and is free? Seems like adding advertisements isn't going to help convince more people to start using bbm over the competition.

Posted via CB10
    At this point, I think they've gave up on attracting new users for BBM and are instead focusing more on milking the people who are stuck with BBM installed on their devices no matter what. Why else would they have put adds on even the BlackBerry version of BBM? At least Android, iOS and Windows users get the option of uninstalling BBM, which is exactly what I would do the second any messenger app I use started serving up ads.

Seriously, Google gets crapped on all the time for being all about the ads, yet even they have been smart enough not to stick ads in their messenging service. Sad to see what BBM has become in only a few short years.
    03-20-15 09:18 PM
    Can block it easily. It's not that hard.
    anon(3896606) and habs_fan like this.
    03-20-15 09:26 PM
    Whatsapp is not free

Posted via CB10
    True, but I was surprised to see bbm go with a 99 cent per month subscription. $12 / year may not be much, but when the competition is charging 99 cents/year (or even nothing) it is surprising... especially for a platform trying to stay relevant.

I would personally have thought leaving it free and charging for BBM meetings only would be a better way.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 04:55 AM
    Whatsapp is not free

Posted via CB10
    It's free

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:39 PM
    It's not free. They just don't automatically charge anyone for the subscription fee. As a matter of fact there are many that have stated they've been using it for a few years and never been charged.

https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/23014681

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 02:15 PM
    I barely get adds and when I do its really not bad, it's in the feeds section which I never use lol
    And there's the option on the add (in the feeds) to ignore
    Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:12 AM