So my friend just updated BBM on his iPhone and when we opened it for the first time, it scanned his contacts and automatically sent out 3 BBM invites.

We didn't seem to have much choice, and if we did, we missed it because it wasn't obvious enough. I think some of my family are going to come unhinged when they update and I'm going to take some heat for getting them back on BBM. They will have many people in their contact lists that they don't necessarily want to be on an IM basis with.

Update:

OK, it appears that the Add All slider at the top right is on by default, and tapping Continue is the "consent". It was pretty easy to breeze past that though, I think due to it being somewhat unorthodox. When installing an app there is a list of permissions and an Accept button.
    Last edited by Carterbits; 02-05-14 at 02:03 PM.
    02-05-14 11:24 AM
    02-05-14 11:55 AM
    Agreed, we all have those we'd rather remain in stealth mode with.

I don't update any software till I see news such as this.
    Also because updates always seem to take away a feature you like and have become accustomed to.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 01:26 PM
    I just updated on my iPad Mini. At first, it wouldn't even launch. I had to reboot. Then it launched and the iPad asked me if I wanted to give BBM access to my contact list. I declined.

I wonder how it decides who to send invites to. I'm guessing it downloads all of your contacts and searches for BBM users by email.

The description of the update "This new update makes it easy to quickly build your contact list by helping you to find and add friends using BBM".

That would be lame. Just because I download BBM does not mean I automatically want to use BBM as my default messaging system - especially if I'm already using iMessage or whatever with that person. iMessages sync with my Mac, iPhone and iPad. BBM is limited to just one device at a time.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-05-14 01:49 PM
    I just updated on my iPad Mini. At first, it wouldn't even launch. I had to reboot. Then it launched and the iPad asked me if I wanted to give BBM access to my contact list. I declined.

I wonder how it decides who to send invites to. I'm guessing it downloads all of your contacts and searches for BBM users by email.

The description of the update "This new update makes it easy to quickly build your contact list by helping you to find and add friends using BBM".

That would be lame. Just because I download BBM does not mean I automatically want to use BBM as my default messaging system - especially if I'm already using iMessage or whatever with that person. iMessages sync with my Mac, iPhone and iPad. BBM is limited to just one device at a time.
    You don't have to automatically add the contacts. You can choose if you want or not. And you can choose what contact to add. And even if you decide not to add a person now, the person will be still available at the suggestions field after. I have people here for a year now that I never sent a invite, but they're still there is suggestions.

Posted via awesome BlackBerry Z10!
    02-05-14 07:19 PM
    You don't have to automatically add the contacts. You can choose if you want or not. And you can choose what contact to add. And even if you decide not to add a person now, the person will be still available at the suggestions field after. I have people here for a year now that I never sent a invite, but they're still there is suggestions.

I hope they don't come on here and see that!!
    02-08-14 12:27 PM
    I hope they don't come on here and see that!!
    LOL...me too

02-09-14 07:17 PM