BBM premium is for working professionals ONLY so if you cannot afford it I'm sorry but that's your own fault.

BlackBerry no longer cares if you fly domestic, first class customers is where they make all their cash!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:19 PM
    if its something like $1 like whatsapp then i would do it.

you should be able to use all features regardless of whether whoever youre chatting with has them or not.

i would like blackberry to make more people use bbm though
    11-01-14 03:29 PM
    BBM premium is for working professionals ONLY so if you cannot afford it I'm sorry but that's your own fault.

BlackBerry no longer cares if you fly domestic, first class customers is where they make all their cash!

Posted via CB10
    BBM Premium will be for anyone who wants it, and is willing to pay, same as First Class flights. They don't discriminate by your career or employment situation. You could be a multi millionaire and choose to fly domestic.

Z30 144GB
    BK_NY_RAY likes this.
    11-01-14 03:31 PM
    So much misinformed and wild speculation! Wow where is the nearest cliff!

Now on another note. BNN stated revenue was 15 million annually for Whatsapp. Then there are 600 million users. Now supposedly it's a buck a year. So if it's truly 600 million active users, where is the cash? Like these numbers are not even on the same planet!

Posted via CB10
    I also doubt that there are 600 million active users but I also just think they simply don't charge these users. I have been using what's app for over 3 years and I've never been charged

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:08 PM
    I think we definitely need more information on these moves but seriously BBM is competing with many messaging apps and features is a great way to do it. Let's be real, BBM stayed stagnant on features for a long time and many of its features aren't useful because y can't use them cross platform.

Video call - can't use it cross platform
    Screen share - can't use cross platform
    Saving chat history - doesn't work like it used to
    Groups - has remained essentially unchanged for year
    File sizes - we finally got a update and it's still only up to 16MB (or something close to that)

In my opinion BBM voice and glympse have been great additions to BBM but even with those we had to wait for cross platform BBM 2.0 to release to fully utilize these features. I do think Channels is a great feature but it still feels beta to me and BlackBerry has done next to nothing to increase its features in the year it's been out.

Now BlackBerry finally seems committed to making BBM better and we have to pay for these features? With the little information they have out on this, it just doesn't make sense. You barely can find anyone that uses the service and I know my friends aren't going to pay for the extra features...which makes those features pointless to me. BBM is a good messenger but we've been asking for many features for far too long to be charged now that they are finally showing up

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and WWBlondieDo like this.
    11-01-14 04:26 PM
    I also doubt that there are 600 million active users but I also just think they simply don't charge these users. I have been using what's app for over 3 years and I've never been charged
    I think messaging apps are like social networks: they'll come and go as the users migrate to the next "cool" thing. I think Whatsapp knew this and basically was waiting for a buy-out, which they got in spades.
    Rello likes this.
    11-01-14 05:01 PM
    You barely can find anyone that uses the service and I know my friends aren't going to pay for the extra features...which makes those features pointless to me.
    Exactly this. It needs to spread everywhere (all OS'es) first, then once people are able to see value in a certain feature, perhaps they might pay for it. If BBM Voice or Video went BlackBerry, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows, MacOS, and GNU/Linux (my wish), I would imagine it would get used a lot and worth paying for.
    11-01-14 05:09 PM
    Exactly this. It needs to spread everywhere (all OS'es) first, then once people are able to see value in a certain feature, perhaps they might pay for it. If BBM Voice or Video went BlackBerry, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows, MacOS, and GNU/Linux (my wish), I would imagine it would get used a lot and worth paying for.
    Perhaps, and even then I don't see it happening lol . BBM is in no position to charge for these features. Lol its not close. Line is over twice as big as BBM and it is the third most used messenger. Why pay when u can use another app that offers most of these features in a free package and have been doing so for awhile. worst case scenario, people don't buy these features and BBM remains stagnant, once again, for features and in growth

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 06:01 PM
    Why does anyone even consider paying that fee as a BlackBerry owner?
    Are you kidding me?

I paid for the damn BlackBerry, no way in hell would I ever pay a subscription fee as well, just for BBM.

Posted via CB10
    So they are saying there is no perk of buying a blackberry
    11-01-14 06:23 PM
    I think it's a great idea to charge for premium features.

This message will Self-Retract in 5 seconds
    11-01-14 06:30 PM
    I think it's a great idea to charge for premium features.

This message will Self-Retract in 5 seconds
    Same! BlackBerry is a premium device for premium users.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 06:37 PM
    So yeah, I'll just leave these here.

I'm in love with new BBM features-screenshot_2014-11-01-19-40-48.jpg
    I'm in love with new BBM features-screenshot_2014-11-01-19-40-52.jpg

I'm in love with new BBM features-screenshot_2014-11-01-19-43-28.jpg
    I'm in love with new BBM features-screenshot_2014-11-01-19-43-34.jpg

Didn't even require root to accomplish this. People may want to keep that in mind. This feature doesn't prevent people making copies of the messages. It doesn't even make it difficult too.
    11-01-14 06:46 PM
    Sorry but I can just see the Night show hosts coming up with jokes like "I think the new BBM features are great - Anthony Weiner"
    11-01-14 06:47 PM
    I thought Whatsapp is $.99 after the first year.

Posted via CB10
    No it's not, that's what they say but they never ever charge anyone, I've used it for 4 years without paying a penny.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:14 PM
    So much misinformed and wild speculation! Wow where is the nearest cliff!

Now on another note. BNN stated revenue was 15 million annually for Whatsapp. Then there are 600 million users. Now supposedly it's a buck a year. So if it's truly 600 million active users, where is the cash? Like these numbers are not even on the same planet!

Posted via CB10
    No one pays!!!!! The service is free, it's not a buck a year.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:16 PM
    The real numbers are available, so why guess? WhatsApp, Facebook's $22 Billion Acquisition, Did $10.2 Million In Revenue Last Year - Business Insider

Whatsapp didn't make a lot of money last year. But potential users was the key. As I understand it, you only pay after the 1st year.
    No you actually don't pay at all

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:19 PM
    I just want to hear that BB10 users won't have to pay a cent for those.
    Nothing more, nothing less

I do however agree with BelfastD for once (it happened, finally):
    Retracting messages are an absolute no go for business critical correspondence.
    The accountability of a businessman flies out the window, if he can delete whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

As a business oriented manufacturer, I have no idea how BlackBerry could even think of that being a good idea (even though it makes a for a great commercial).

Posted via CB10
    That is actually one of the most dumb features I have ever seen, even for consumers!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:22 PM
    Is it me or when you send a timed message your message doesn't appear for you? It just says timed message sent blah blah blah?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:48 PM
    I'm gonna buy one
    11-01-14 11:00 PM
    I love them too, and I would pay for it but I want a bit more in the package like

- Custom PIN
    - Protected BBM without BES
    - Unlimited group call
    - Landline phone calling
    - Some custom theme settings?
    11-02-14 05:35 AM
    Interesting. Are you saying that iPhone and Android BBM users should be made to pay, while those with BBs shouldn't?
    My BBM contact list is now all of 16 contacts of which about half are also on iMessage. If BB is stupid enough to charge a subscription for BBM, then I wouldn't pay and neither would any of my current BBM contacts...especially those who are not BB users. So, in other words, BBM can charge whatever it wants but a messaging platform with fewer and fewer users is basically dead.
    11-02-14 06:25 AM
    Scroll down a bit further to where it says contains items for sale. I think the term is not informative enough but there are plenty that do it that way. You get a free app and start using it only to find out later you have to pay to keep using it, Free Dictionary is one. The difference there is you lose all functionality where as with BBM you just lose 2 features.

Z30 144GB
    Nope, I did and there's no mention.
    11-02-14 10:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    LOL! First class customer purchasing power didn't become first class by throwing money left and right on shallow products but by saving money.

There is nothing premium about BBM Premium except the name, it has no value to apply any kind of fee. Those sexting features like timed messages and message retraction alone are not worth the premium even if they include BBM Meetings. Those are all cosmetic features that no one would pay for but could make a difference if they were actually free. And as a matter of fact they will be free in some messenger sooner or later.

Premium service is BBM Protected that actually does something of significance by encrypting end to end communication. That is worth evert penny each month. On the other hand video conferencing, collaboration, wrong lover text retraction are not cause they are already available for free somewhere else in a pretty much same package as BBM. But you have to look beyond features, you have to look into integration and integration sucks on Android and iOS, god knows whats going on WP. Use experience of BBM on any other OS besides BB10 is subpar. Until they fix that "little" hiccup, introduce proper video calling, proper group messaging with file sharing they don't even have a foundation to even mention words like fee or subscription.

Its painstakingly obvious that Channels and stickers didn't work out for them and they are looking left and right to see how they can make money of BBM and subscription model is not one them either. Channels could have been great but they screwed up that. themselves
    11-02-14 11:19 AM
    @Vladi we have no idea what the premium bbm features will consist of. For all we know bbm protected is included. We won't know until they release the details and pricing.

Posted via CB10
    tjseaman likes this.
    11-02-14 11:33 AM
    Timed and retracted messages are novelties that appeal to consumers. As others have said, they're not useful features for enterprise, and maybe even illegal.
    False. My company uses Outlook, and you can retract messages in Outlook, and that feature is used quite often. It is not "illegal" by any stretch.
    11-02-14 01:13 PM
178 ... 45678