Enough to pay for it?

Posted via CB10
    Not as a BlackBerry phone user. If I ever have to pay for BBM then I'm done. It is bad enough as a BlackBerry phone user I get spammed with joining BlackBerry hosted channels. Once I say no to those once, I shouldn't get the same thing three or four more times.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    MarsupilamiX and Rello like this.
    11-01-14 09:57 AM
    I am sure John Chen will supply BBM free for consumers and paid for corporate and government sectors that use BES10/12 that require a highly secured situation. That doesn't mean all businesses or governments.

Posted via CB10
    I would guess some iteration of this suggestion is true, but I can't see them adding features to eBBM that are paid and giving consumers the same (paid) features for free.
    11-01-14 09:58 AM
    I got the update for my two z30's and when I try to use the timed feature I get this message.
    Attachment 311049

Any idea?

Posted via CB10
    Just restart both phones to seed the added features.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 09:59 AM
    No mention here about being only a 3 months trial. Attachment 311234
    I missed you

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:01 AM
    I would guess some iteration of this suggestion is true, but I can't see them adding features to eBBM that are paid and giving consumers the same (paid) features for free.
    Agreed, there will be a cost associated with it. If it is a reliable service (video) I would pay. I do a lot of traveling and a reliable video service would be great. Skype is just garbage and Whatsapp just isn't positioned to execute.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:05 AM
    Not as a BlackBerry phone user. If I ever have to pay for BBM then I'm done. It is bad enough as a BlackBerry phone user I get spammed with joining BlackBerry hosted channels. Once I say no to those once, I shouldn't get the same thing three or four more times.

The subscription should deactivate all ads. They can't have both in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Rello likes this.
    11-01-14 10:06 AM
    And all the people who bought iPads and iPhone should get the premium iCloud storage accounts for free too.
    Do they get x amount of storage for free, when they buy an Apple product?
    Yes?

Are they able to use iMessage for free?
    Yes?

Is an Apple user able to use BBM for free?
    Yes?

You would have a point, if BBM itself wouldn't be free for other platforms, while it is for BlackBerry users. Then we as BlackBerry buyers actually gain something through buying a BlackBerry. Like iPhone users gain access to x amount of cloud storage or iMessage.

Like this however, BBM is free for everyone, and they will ask the premium from everyone.
    As a BlackBerry buyer, this is a bad joke and nobody in the whole smartphone industry treats their customers like that, when it comes down to simple products (like a messenger app) within their own ecosystem (neither Google nor MS do that as well).

I hope that BlackBerry loses a huge amount of BBM users on BB10, if they don't positively discriminate against their own userbase.

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-01-14 10:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    They especially can't have BlackBerry smartphone users pay for some little BBM features.
    It's a joke.
    And one of the really bad ones.

If BlackBerry really wants to monetize BBM through milking their own smartphone customers, I will just stop using BBM and tell everyone in my list to do the same (not like the number of BBM users would be big outside of Indonesia anyhow).

Agreed, there will be a cost associated with it. If it is a reliable service (video) I would pay. I do a lot of traveling and a reliable video service would be great. Skype is just garbage and Whatsapp just isn't positioned to execute.

Posted via CB10
    Skype is garbage?
    Sorry, but WHAT???

There also is Google hangouts.
    Or Line.
    Or 20 other apps for exactly that issue.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:11 AM
    A lot need to be clarified, and there are certainly valid concerns, but as usual on CrackBerry, the hyperbole and dramatic posting as way over the top in relation to the subject. Ah well, passionate people on CrackBerry I guess...

Posted via CB10
    momofteme likes this.
    11-01-14 10:14 AM
    I just want to hear that BB10 users won't have to pay a cent for those.
    Nothing more, nothing less

I do however agree with BelfastD for once (it happened, finally):
    Retracting messages are an absolute no go for business critical correspondence.
    The accountability of a businessman flies out the window, if he can delete whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

As a business oriented manufacturer, I have no idea how BlackBerry could even think of that being a good idea (even though it makes a for a great commercial).

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:21 AM
    And here I thought XBBM had these features going on for over a year now!

Timed messages? Often times my cross platform messages don't get delivered, or delivery notification for days!

Message retraction? Sometimes my cross platform messages don't get delivered at all!

In all seriousness now, the latest versions have been an improvement, but it took almost a freaking year to resolve... all while leaving us customers completely in the dark and never even acknowledging that a problem existed. And now they hint at charging? Come on BBRY... get real!

These new features aren't something most of us BBM users have even been asking for.

Why don't you deliver on something you have promised... and that many of us seek... cross platform video. Quit over promising and under delivering!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:25 AM
    Retracting messages are an absolute no go for business critical correspondence.
    The accountability of a businessman flies out the window, if he can delete whatever he wants, whenever he wants.
    Posted via CB10
    I agree. I don't use BBM for any business correspondence, but if I did - this would be a problem. My correspondence with contractors, customers, vendors, professionals, etc., becomes a matter of record. I rely on that to a certain extent. I need to be able to hold people accountable for what they tell me. My messages come in all different forms, but mostly email, voice mail, and SMS. I save EVERYTHING. Of course you can see when a message has been retracted, and it won't reflect well on the other party, but it adds a level of complexity that I don't need or want in my work environment.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-01-14 10:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    As a BlackBerry phone user, I shouldn't have to pay for any subscription for BBM to get rid of ads. It should be a value ad for being a loyal BlackBerry customer.

MarsupilamiX and cbvinh like this.
    11-01-14 10:33 AM
    I've been wondering about these new features and business use. Could it possible that these retracted and timed messages could actually be saved on the BES servers for retrieval if needed? If so, that would eliminate worries about retention of whole conversations. We need to learn more about this in total, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-01-14 10:45 AM
    Before we pass judgement maybe we should wait and see what all is offered. I haven't read anywhere the timed messages and retraction are the only 2 features being offered and would need to be paid for.

There was a number of features added and so the free version of BBM is just as good as it was a few days ago + some.

If these features are tied into something like BBM meetings for consumers than it may be worth a subscription. Afterall if they going to offer a subscription I would love to see it jam packed with features vs having one or two features and everything else free, it would detract from the subscription value.

If features like BBM meetings (+ other features like retraction and timed messages) are part of an eBBM offering, they can't give it away to consumers.
    11-01-14 11:01 AM

You would have a point, if BBM itself wouldn't be free for other platforms, while it is for BlackBerry users. Then we as BlackBerry buyers actually gain something through buying a BlackBerry. Like iPhone users gain access to x amount of cloud storage or iMessage.

Posted via CB10
    So similar to how Microsoft doesn't charge anyone who buys a computer or laptop Windows to use MS Office, and only charges MAC users?

Oh wait,....

In the end it's our choice to buy or not, no one is forcing anything. And if you thought BBM was great 2 days ago, nothing has changed for what you can get for free.

As for 3 months free that would be similar to companies like DropBox offering their paid service on a 1 month trial. I for one prefer to try premium features to see if they are right for me before making a buying decision.
    11-01-14 11:07 AM
    Im not being selfish but if they charge a fee and they will have less users because of the fee. Then I would really love to pay a fee to use bbm. I bet sending and receiving will be very fast because of limited user. All my friends would also prefer the exclusivity of using it. Im really for reliability than free. How I wish they will bring back the old blackberry internet that pushes email and also activates bbm. Those were the days. Fast and reliable.

Just my personal thought..

Posted via CB10
    andre20100 likes this.
    11-01-14 11:16 AM
    Im not being selfish but if they charge a fee and they will have less users because of the fee. Then I would really love to pay a fee to use bbm. I bet sending and receiving will be very fast because of limited user. All my friends would also prefer the exclusivity of using it. Im really for reliability than free. How I wish they will bring back the old blackberry internet that pushes email and also activates bbm. Those were the days. Fast and reliable.

Just my personal thought..

Posted via CB10
    .... and was a paid service
    11-01-14 11:20 AM
    .... and was a paid service
    Exactly! Pay so we get a good service. But I guess paying for this service it not for everyone. Only for users that demands reliability and dont have time to worry if the message gets through or not. Honestly im disappointed with the current receive and delivery of the bbm message. Im not sure if its my network or if its blackberry. I really hate waiting to see if the message gets through the network or not. Old days I just press send and go to the next task. Now I press send and wait a second to see if its sent.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:31 AM
    Exactly! Pay so we get a good service. But I guess paying for this service it not for everyone. Only for users that demands reliability and dont have time to worry if the message gets through or not. Honestly im disappointed with the current receive and delivery of the bbm message. Im not sure if its my network or if its blackberry. I really hate waiting to see if the message gets through the network or not. Old days I just press send and go to the next task. Now I press send and wait a second to see if its sent.

Posted via CB10
    I am content with BBM as it is now. I will wait and see what is offered as part of a subscription service and see if it is justified by the cost (for me).

If it's not worth so be it, but I have no issues with BBM offering 'premium' features for a price, especially if eBBM will have these features as part of a plan they pay for.
    11-01-14 11:45 AM
    So much misinformed and wild speculation! Wow where is the nearest cliff!

Now on another note. BNN stated revenue was 15 million annually for Whatsapp. Then there are 600 million users. Now supposedly it's a buck a year. So if it's truly 600 million active users, where is the cash? Like these numbers are not even on the same planet!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:00 PM
    Enough to pay for it? Posted via CB10
    The nerve I say.... THE NERVE!!
    Where does it end? Next thing you know they'll be charging you for the phone!! The Nerve!

11-01-14 12:25 PM
    The real numbers are available, so why guess? WhatsApp, Facebook's $22 Billion Acquisition, Did $10.2 Million In Revenue Last Year - Business Insider

Whatsapp didn't make a lot of money last year. But potential users was the key. As I understand it, you only pay after the 1st year.
    11-01-14 12:25 PM
    So how many pay for the 600 millions whatsapp user?

#BBFactCheck
    11-01-14 01:12 PM
    No mention here about being only a 3 months trial. Attachment 311234
    Scroll down a bit further to where it says contains items for sale. I think the term is not informative enough but there are plenty that do it that way. You get a free app and start using it only to find out later you have to pay to keep using it, Free Dictionary is one. The difference there is you lose all functionality where as with BBM you just lose 2 features.

Z30 144GB
    11-01-14 03:08 PM
178 ... 34567 ...