Reading some of the comments, it's funny how many people have said BlackBerry needs to do more to make money and bring in profits, yet no one wants to pay the little extras.

Let's all just expect more for free without any additional profits for the company to stay afloat.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    They have to give some to get some. Video cross platform would be nice....

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:48 PM

Let's get real. Just because you paid $600 you expect BlackBerry to give you things free forever.
    No.
    I expect them to do what every other phone manufacturer does:
    Getting a bundle of services in the respective ecosystem, for free, when I buy a handset from them.

I want to use iCloud, but have no Apple devices? I pay for that.
    I want to use Skydrive, but have no MS hardware? I pay for that.
    I want to use iCloud, but I have an Apple device? It's included.

If BlackBerry thinks that they can break that pattern, and make you pay no matter what, I really hope that the market punishes them for it.

But as it seems, the CB/BB faithful are willing to pay without any questions asked.
    I wonder why BlackBerry doesn't adopt a micro payment system as a whole then.
    Want to use the file manager? Pay us a $ more.
    Want to set a different alarm tone? 50 cent please.

I mean, you guys would pay it anyhow.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, antikorr and Rello like this.
    10-31-14 07:52 PM
    Just got the update for my 6 plus. Like the new features , disappointed the app isn't optimized for iphone 6 plus yet. What gives ?
    10-31-14 08:05 PM
    Well said. I agree 100%. All the whining babies need to wake up to the reality of business. BlackBerry is here to make money. Don't like it go buy something else!

Posted via CB10
    They did. Now their share price is >$11.
    10-31-14 08:15 PM
    Having retractable messages pretty much makes using BBM for business applications impossible seeing as how a permanent record of a conversation is now impossible.
    10-31-14 08:18 PM
    Not at all happy with how the BBM update erased all my chats with no warning and even though I always have "Save Chat History" enabled.

Also if BlackBerry thinks I'll pay more than a freakin' $1 per year to have "premium features" that I can get on other, more popular (with my Android/Apple-loving friends) apps for free, they are INSANE. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd pay that $1. It's hard enough to get friends to download and use BBM as it is - if they start charging for things like timed messages (and if they don't add cross-platform video calls FOR FREE), they can just forget it.

This comes from someone who has purchased at least 10 sticker packs, btw.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW STL100-4 running 10.3.1.821/800 hybrid
    10-31-14 08:23 PM
    Yeah I'll pay for the subscription since I have a whopping 1 BBM contact on my list. That's $1 per year for the that 1 contact. The users that would subscribe to extra features are ones with a lot of contacts but since there's only 90 million BBM users globally, not very many will have enough contacts to justify the cost. Also, users in third world nations that have lots of BBM contacts (bulk of which are price sensitive), would they subscribe as well?
    10-31-14 08:43 PM
    What sub are people taking about??????

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 08:45 PM
    For those who won't pay. It's up to you. I don't think that way. But I also don't steal music and videos. I believe if you work for something you should be paid for it. Old fashioned idea I know. For me the question isn't if they offer a premium service, it's how much is it going to cost. I'll make my decision whether or not to purchase premium services based on price.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    10-31-14 08:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/10/31/bb...tize-platform/
    10-31-14 08:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    2 of the new features are free for 3 months only, then other Premium Services will be added and that package will be one you have to pay for...if you want it.

Z30 144GB
    10-31-14 08:50 PM
    Wow. IMO those are features that should be free. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Skype on computer let's you remove and edit messages. Can you do that on phones?

So, what's exactly premium? The remove and timed messages?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:05 PM
    Wow. IMO those are features that should be free. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Skype on computer let's you remove and edit messages. Can you do that on phones?

So, what's exactly premium? The remove and timed messages?

Posted via CB10
    They are only 2, they will advise what all the other services will be later. Full BBM suite going cross platform would be nice...

Z30 144GB
    10-31-14 09:10 PM
    Can you remove and edit messages on Skype on phones for free? You can in computers.

Honestly I'm surprised those two features will be paid for since they don't seem like features that have to be paid and since Skype does it free in computers at least. Also, I thought BlackBerry wanted to combat snap chat in a way by having their own snap chat type features, but can't really do that if you're charging for it.

But hey, this is all just an opinion of one person, doesn't mean it's fact or perfect and maybe it's the right thing or what's best for BlackBerry to do.

I would like those features to be free though because I wouldn't pay for them.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:20 PM
    I'm still waiting for full featured file and media sharing in multi-person and Group Chats, like we currently have in individual chats and like WhatsApp has on all their chats period! Where is it? When are you going to make this happen BlackBerry? All these great improvements and you can't make something simple like this happen?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:49 PM
    Simply put as a package right now, BBM is not worth paying for.

If they release a metric tonne of content, and heavily advertise it, and everyone on my contact list starts using it, then maybe I'll pay.

But as soon as I pay it stops being my job to try to get people to use it.

I'm not going to waste my time getting you more customers, if I have to pay you, then it's your job.

And it won't work. People will refuse to.

I also agree that certain features should be free for BlackBerry owners, we DID pay for the devices, and imessage is free with an iPhone, right?

It definitely depends on what feature set, how much it is and what our choices are.

But from this point of view, it seems less and less people will use it until it's completely abandoned.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:49 PM
    Not sure about it being abandoned, not much use in my area, but it's a different story elsewhere...

I'm in love with new BBM features-bbm-indo.jpeg

Z30 144GB
    10-31-14 10:13 PM
    Cool features but I'd never pay to use a messaging app.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:15 PM
    Ahaha. I updated my samsung and tried to message my z30's and got the same message I posted earlier. I'm curious if there is a time delay after you update the app. Almost like it needs to update on the server or something.

I'm going to try it again later and see if it will work properly.

Posted via CB10
    You can't retract messages sent to ppl on the old version of BBM... so for a while sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:19 PM
    Simply put as a package right now, BBM is not worth paying for.
    Simply put as a package right now, BBM is not paid for.

If they release a metric tonne of content, and heavily advertise it, and everyone on my contact list starts using it, then maybe I'll pay.
    That will be your choice to pay or not as it will be for everyone else, no one is forcing anything here.

But as soon as I pay it stops being my job to try to get people to use it.

I'm not going to waste my time getting you more customers, if I have to pay you, then it's your job.
    I can call BlackBerry to confirm if you like, but my guess is BlackBerry never assumed it was your "job" to get people to use BBM.

I also agree that certain features should be free for BlackBerry owners, we DID pay for the devices, and imessage is free with an iPhone, right?
    So is iCloud storage, and they have upgrade storage levels people pay for. People take what's free and use it or they figure the extras are worth it and pay but it's their decision. I doubt many "quit" Apple because they charge for extras some may feel should be free.

It definitely depends on what feature set, how much it is and what our choices are.
    Agreed - I will wait and see what is being offered and then decide if it's worth paying or if the free version is all I need.

Should BlackBerry only add/promote features that are free in case some people don't want extras?

Should everything on BBM be free or should they create revenue to pay for their infrastructure, development, etc? How would we prefer they make $, unsolicited advertising? Selling our data and uasge patterns to 3rd parties? Other ideas?

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]
    10-31-14 10:36 PM
    Should everything on BBM be free or should they create revenue to pay for their infrastructure, development, etc? How would we prefer they make $, unsolicited advertising? Selling our data and uasge patterns to 3rd parties? Other ideas?
    Timed and retracted messages are novelties that appeal to consumers. As others have said, they're not useful features for enterprise, and maybe even illegal. Those two features should be free with BBM.

Protected BBM is worth it for enterprise and that's where they can make some money. On the consumer side, they can expand BBM Channels and sell advertising or user analytics from channel subscribers. The subscribers won't view advertising from a brand they're already following to be a nuisance, so it's a win-win.
    10-31-14 10:51 PM
    Timed and retracted messages are novelties that appeal to consumers. As others have said, they're not useful features for enterprise, and maybe even illegal. Those two features should be free with BBM.

Protected BBM is worth it for enterprise and that's where they can make some money. On the consumer side, they can expand BBM Channels and sell advertising or user analytics from channel subscribers. The subscribers won't view advertising from a brand they're already following to be a nuisance, so it's a win-win.
    I would agree with others (depending on price and pay structure) I would likely not pay for these two features, but my guess is they will be part of a larger offering and once we know the details I will then make a decision, instead of dismissing BlackBerry for attempting to make some revenue. Other companies have free offering and consumer + business plans, so I don't think it is out of line for BlackBerry to make money off consumers as well. We still get to choose whether or not to pay for things.

I can not speak to the legality of these features and deleting correspondence, is it illegal for companies to delete work emails? I don't know, I am no expert in this area.

I think you have some potentially good revenue ideas with BBM channels but still think it is a balancing act. When I buy something and get bombarded with mail/email and/or calls it can be annoying even if it is someone I have purchased from in the past.

BlackBerry is focusing on enterprise and perhaps these features will be part of a larger (paid for) offering for business. If that is the case it would be hard justifying giving the paid feature(s) to consumers for free.
    10-31-14 11:05 PM
    Lol at you cheap people. BlackBerry needs to make money so they are offering a premium service for premium customers if you don't want it don't buy

If you can't afford then you're obviously not the target market to be a premium BBM subscriber

Posted via CB10
    tjseaman likes this.
    10-31-14 11:31 PM
    BBM the best!

From my ? phone.
    11-01-14 12:35 AM
    Lol at you cheap people. BlackBerry needs to make money so they are offering a premium service for premium customers if you don't want it don't buy

If you can't afford then you're obviously not the target market to be a premium BBM subscriber

Posted via CB10
    There is a difference between "wanting" and "being able to".

As someone who paid for his BlackBerry device, I see no reason at all to pay for any BBM related feature.
    I obviously could pay it though.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Rello like this.
    11-01-14 12:44 AM
178 12345 ...