I have been one of BBM's biggest supporters for years and have constantly convinced friends and family to stay with or get with it.

BBM's complete lack of support for iOS (notifications have never worked properly, iOS 11 users can't send pictures any more (just unopenable .bbm files), etc.) , the recent corruption of who knows how many accounts (mine just disappeared over night 4 days ago) with no acknowledgement or support, the inability to keep chats and files when switching devices, the lack of performance during videos calls, and BBM's unbelievable lack of support when things go wrong, have finally pushed me over the edge.

I sent one last BBM to all of my contacts (that I painfully re-added to my new BBM account yesterday) telling them to meet me on WhatsApp.

Good luck BBM. You could have been so good.
    valer466 likes this.
    10-15-17 03:37 PM
    yah, I can't blame you. I'm going to ride this out for another few days since our BBM group is still working... for the moment.
    10-16-17 10:30 AM
    I have been one of BBM's biggest supporters for years and have constantly convinced friends and family to stay with or get with it...
    Me, too. I was using BBM Protected for my team at work, and everyone loved it. One of my colleagues even bought a Passport SE so Blend would put BBM on his desktop.

That was in 2014; unfortunately, that was then and this is now. BBM Protected group features, as well as stickers, are gone in the new "BBM Enterprise," and vanilla BBM seems to be a WhatsApp wannabe for Indonesian kids.

To compound my disappointment, moving to another messaging environment -- likely Pryvate -- means I am finally retiring my beloved Passport SE.

I guess that train was coming one way or another once the BlackBerry we once knew and loved got packed up and mothballed; but still, I'm saddened.

I will add that I'm keeping this Bold until hell freezes over or BIS finally dies...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by David Tyler; 10-17-17 at 06:30 PM.
    10-16-17 03:26 PM
    Sorry to hear that. Regular is still quite nice on BB10 and definitely the most responsive out of any messaging apps. Proton|Mail is nice for security shame no native app but the beta is pretty good. BBM groups have lists events and discussions. I had hoped Evernote might step up for collaboration but that obviously did not happen for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-17 01:48 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Regular is still quite nice on BB10 and definitely the most responsive out of any messaging apps.
    I agree. It's a shame, because I really LOVE BBM -- I've never understood the sneering dismissal on the part of some forum denizens, but then, there's a lot here that has me scratching my head...

I'll likely still use BBM for non-work groups, despite the urgency with which Emtek is trying to make all WhatsApp-y.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    10-18-17 09:27 PM
    I gave up BBM a month back which I was using with my children and my wife. We all now connect on 'Just-about-right' WhatsApp.
    10-18-17 10:31 PM
    I gave up BBM a month back which I was using with my children and my wife. We all now connect on 'Just-about-right' WhatsApp.
    Yeah; WhatsApp might be realistic if it were peer-to-peer, if Facebook didn't hoover up all your contacts the instant you installed it, and -- frankly -- if it weren't owned by Facebook.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    10-18-17 11:50 PM
    I switched to Signal ages ago. It's great. The two MASSIVE plus points for me are:

1. It's the most secure messaging app.
    2. You can use it for SMS (obviously not secure, but it's good to be able to use it with those that still use SMS)
    10-19-17 03:55 AM
    A password manager seems like a good solution for encrypted messaging just a problem of safely distributing your key to decrypt it. Zoho has a nice..os for this aswell

Posted via CB10
    10-19-17 04:04 AM
    Can't blame you.
    Since the time BBM has gone to Emtek, it's been bad.
    Sure they might have added tons of services but just like @Bla1ze had said it's just an app for other services now rather than the great messaging app it once was
    I'd have a hard time moving to anything other than BBM (Two major reasons being No last seen or Online s*** and the emoticons - Love them as well as the fact they are formed from the special characters of the keyboard which for me is like the best thing) but it looks inevitable in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-17 04:26 AM
    Yeah; WhatsApp might be realistic if it were peer-to-peer, if Facebook didn't hoover up all your contacts the instant you installed it, and -- frankly -- if it weren't owned by Facebook.

P2P post 2010 when all the networks are attuned to wide-band data transfer? Man.. Stop thinking your in the Golden age of Yahoo Messenger/AOL/BIS which worked on legacy 2G/Dial up networks. That's what BBM is good for even though we live in 1 GBPS times. BBM hardly sends a decent video across, and compresses images to the level of being useless. Forget about the Request HD feature on BB10... it takes too long for a 2MB image to come on BB10 BBM via Wifi or data.
    10-19-17 07:23 AM
    P2P post 2010 when all the networks are attuned to wide-band data transfer? Man.. Stop thinking your in the Golden age of Yahoo Messenger/AOL/BIS which worked on legacy 2G/Dial up networks.
    Oh-kay-ayyy... what I meant was: If WhatsApp were peer-to-peer, my data wouldn't be on Facebook servers.

10-19-17 09:57 PM
    Oh-kay-ayyy... what I meant was: If WhatsApp were peer-to-peer, my data wouldn't be on Facebook servers.

Read up Emtek t&c or BBM consumer t&C. There is not a single suggestion that reads in the t&c that means their p2p doesn't store/make use of our data either temporarily or permanently.
    10-19-17 10:27 PM
    Read up Emtek t&c or BBM consumer t&C. There is not a single suggestion that reads in the t&c that means their p2p doesn't store/make use of our data either temporarily or permanently.
    Why..? I don't use vanilla BBM, and I'm throwing in the towel on BBM Protected, which is getting pretty flaky cross-platform.

10-19-17 10:30 PM
    Why..? I don't use vanilla BBM, and I'm throwing in the towel on BBM Protected, which is getting pretty flaky cross-platform.

Umm what... If you use BBM protected, then why would you be bothered about vanilla customers? Posting on their behalf eh?

You're giving up your passport too, using pryvate and guess BIS too until it's called off... So why bother about consumer BBM at all mate?
    10-20-17 07:51 AM
    Umm what... If you use BBM protected, then why would you be bothered about vanilla customers? Posting on their behalf eh?

You're giving up your passport too, using pryvate and guess BIS too until it's called off... So why bother about consumer BBM at all mate?
    I've really no idea what is bothering you or why you think I'm posting one anyone's "behalf."

Have you ruled somewhere that "general BBM" now means "consumer BBM only" (which would be an interesting interpretation of the word "general")..?

10-20-17 08:51 AM
    Best option in messaging you could get nowadays is Telegram. Fast, secure and you can use it on several devices simultaneously in opposite to BBM and WhatsApp. All the clients are open-sourced and I’m working on bringing bb10 client up to date.
    10-20-17 08:59 AM
    I've really no idea what is bothering you or why you think I'm posting one anyone's "behalf."

Have you ruled somewhere that "general BBM" now means "consumer BBM only" (which would be an interesting interpretation of the word "general")..?

As per Blackberry Canada, Consumer BBM is controlled by Emtek & that which they no longer have day to day control of.

BB10/BBOS devices running non cross platform BBM is still considered as "BBM on BB10/OS" (regardless of being hosted on BB servers in Canada & not on Emteks Google cloud service in Indonesia) which is fully subject to the same "user information" sharing policies like Emtek Cross platform BBM.

So there you go, I've defined what's general BBM and consumer BBM as per BlackBerry Canada's own understanding.

So can you tell me why do you feel so much for "non enterprise" users who plain and simply don't care about A) BBM as their primary messaging app B) Don't depend on BBM because (A) is subject to laughable week long outages without even a whimper from the app developers controlling either enterprise or general or consumer versions whatever you like to call it.
    10-20-17 10:58 PM
    I really like Delta Chat and have converted a few friends to it. I'm not sure what you need in a messenger, but it works well for me. https://delta.chat/en/

Posted via CB10
    10-20-17 11:08 PM
    As per Blackberry Canada, Consumer BBM is controlled by Emtek & that which they no longer have day to day control of.
    Oh-kay-ayyy... Not exactly news, but if it makes you feel better to get it out, there you are.

So can you tell me why do you feel so much for "non enterprise" users who plain and simply don't care about A) BBM as their primary messaging app B) Don't depend on BBM because (A) is subject to laughable week long outages without even a whimper from the app developers controlling either enterprise or general or consumer versions whatever you like to call it.
    Since I've no idea what you're rambling on about, no -- I can't.

10-20-17 11:20 PM
    Oh-kay-ayyy... Not exactly news, but if it makes you feel better to get it out, there you are.

Since I've no idea what you're rambling on about, no -- I can't.

A Oh-kay-ayyy. Seems you've used some super admin kinda BBM that works better than WhatsApp lol.

Cheers mate.
    10-21-17 12:39 AM