I still think it's a binary proposition. Either the D has to mean it was delivered to the device in hand, or it does not. Useful, or useless.

From a security perspective, I also don't like the idea of sending a message to one person, and not realising it was a broadcast to all of that person's devices lying around all over the place.

There are other messaging apps out there - but BBM's claim to fame is controlled messaging between two people.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    But this is that particular user issue. If he cannot get security right - it's his issue. It same as if he loses his phone, someone picks it and if it is without password - that someone can read anything.

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    01-19-15 06:18 AM
    in my opinion, it could be easily done - any of device reports "delivered". Any of devices read - reports as read.

should be quite easy.
    If someone has 5 devices, but only brings one with him to work or travel (but I don't know which one), how do I know that the message was delivered specifically to the one he has with him? I don't care if the ipad he left on his coffee table at home got the message.

Likewise, if his kid "reads" his message on his iPhone, thus producing an R on my sending device, I still would not know if he actually read it on the device he brought to work.

You say this is the receiver's problem, and he simply "should" be more careful - but that doesn't help the sender. The whole system breaks down and becomes unreliable. This is the difference between a social messaging app (for which there is a place), and a serious communication tool.

What's wrong with the idea of a quick log in on the device you're using - like just openning BBM automatically logs you into that device and out of any others? Make it immediate and under the hood.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-15 at 07:41 AM.
    playpen007 likes this.
    01-19-15 07:21 AM
    This applies to many things:
    Email (read by kids on daddy's laptop before he read it on his BlackBerry when traveling, skype, etc

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    01-19-15 08:03 AM
    This applies to many things:
    Email (read by kids on daddy's laptop before he read it on his BlackBerry when traveling, skype, etc

But this is not email or skype! It is a serious platform for direct device to device communication.

If you don't see the difference between email and bbm, then we will never see eye to eye on this.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-19-15 08:08 AM
    If someone has 5 devices, but only brings one with him to work or travel (but I don't know which one), how do I know that the message was delivered specifically to the one he has with him? I don't care if the ipad he left on his coffee table at home got the message.

Likewise, if his kid "reads" his message on his iPhone, thus producing an R on my sending device, I still would not know if he actually read it on the device he brought to work.

You say this is the receiver's problem, and he simply "should" be more careful - but that doesn't help the sender. The whole system breaks down and becomes unreliable. This is the difference between a social messaging app (for which there is a place), and a serious communication tool.

What's wrong with the idea of a quick log in on the device you're using - like just openning BBM automatically logs you into that device and out of any others? Make it immediate and under the hood.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    You may be right, but the average Joe prefers convenience.

Like OP said, that's a complain I've actually heard.
    01-19-15 08:14 AM
    You may be right, but the average Joe prefers convenience.

Like OP said, that's a complain I've actually heard.
    Then let the average Joe use WhatsApp (they probably do already). I just don't want BBM to give up its primary differentiating feature.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-19-15 08:38 AM
    Maybe an option to have a signature receipt as an option, like the post office has for security of specific mailings. Have the person enter their password to be able to read the message. I have this setup for a password manager so low security sites don't require the long password to gain entry like banks or other higher security sites.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 08:43 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Yep, I totally agree that a "simple" log in to BBM would resolve this issue; as matter of fact it will make BBM more secure by preventing people from snooping through one's chat on the pretence that the snooper is just checking out the phone aka Passport.
    01-19-15 08:44 AM
    But this is not email or skype! It is a serious platform for direct device to device communication.

If you don't see the difference between email and bbm, then we will never see eye to eye on this.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    The issue I think you're having is, if it goes from his iPad why do you have it won't go to his device in hand? If his handheld is out of network coverage it will simply be delivered when he gets back coverage as just as it is now. I think your putting too much importance on this "d". If I'm driving (sometime 1-2hrs) I don't check my bbms, the sender will just have to make do with the "d" until I get where I'm going. If it's that important you call.
    Regarding how message being read on a secondary device, there's 2 ways to look at it. 1) it's your responsibility to make sure your connected device is protected from unwanted use. 2) if the message is that important that you see "r" for however long and no response, you call the person.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    01-19-15 08:47 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Ok, another example:

Your employee has work email on active sync and outlook. Blackberry running same email mailbox on active sync.

He's traveling. His laptop is at home, left on.
    You sent him email with return receipt.
    His kid was passing by, clicked few buttons and you got "read" confirmation on the email, but actually, the poor guy was traveling and didn't read the email.

How's that different from few BBMs running simultaneously?

01-19-15 08:50 AM
    Ok, another example:

Your employee has work email on active sync and outlook. Blackberry running same email mailbox on active sync.

He's traveling. His laptop is at home, left on.
    You sent him email with return receipt.
    His kid was passing by, clicked few buttons and you got "read" confirmation on the email, but actually, the poor guy was traveling and didn't read the email.

How's that different from few BBMs running simultaneously?

I simply do not have the same expectations for direct point to point communication with email. I know that kind of crap happens all the time. That's why I use BBM.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-19-15 08:57 AM
    The issue I think you're having is, if it goes from his iPad why do you have it won't go to his device in hand? If his handheld is out of network coverage it will simply be delivered when he gets back coverage as just as it is now. I think your putting too much importance on this "d". If I'm driving (sometime 1-2hrs) I don't check my bbms, the sender will just have to make do with the "d" until I get where I'm going. If it's that important you call.
    Regarding how message being read on a secondary device, there's 2 ways to look at it. 1) it's your responsibility to make sure your connected device is protected from unwanted use. 2) if the message is that important that you see "r" for however long and no response, you call the person.

Posted via CB10
    I have a lot of faith in the "D" because if I know it was delivered to the device he has in his hand, he will read it eventually, and I don't need to move heaven and earth to find another way of contacting him. If I get a D because his ipad at home received the message - it tells me absolutely nothing! The D is completely and utterly useless. It would serve no purpose whatsoever, and would actually be a detriment.

What's wrong with the log-in, log-out method if it was quick and easy? Would that not solve both our problems?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-19-15 09:03 AM
    Read receipt on email works exactly same as D/R on bbm

01-19-15 09:37 AM
    Easy fix! Buy a BlackBerry and use blend on any external device.
    conite and playpen007 like this.
    01-19-15 09:38 AM
    Then let the average Joe use WhatsApp (they probably do already). I just don't want BBM to give up its primary differentiating feature.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    You'd think they'd want a bigger userbase.
    01-19-15 10:11 AM
    I don't care about the d and r. So many ios users have multiple devices and this is a problem for them. On imeesage, they get notifications on all devices and responses are immediately reflected on all devices on that apple Id. I don't care how they do it, it just works and BlackBerry needs to figure this out for bbm to be more widely adopted with ios users. There are some great features in bbm, but there are some problems too.
    01-19-15 11:02 AM
    I know it was delivered to the device he has in his hand
    The thing I don't get is how do you know they in fact have the device in hand? Your problem with multiple devices is really no different than the person forgetting their phone somewhere or purposely leaving it behind. How do you know that the message wasn't read by the waiter who found the phone? You really don't. Just as you are assuming the one device is always with the person you can very well assume one of the multiple devices are with the person.

The problem with the log in, log out method is that it is easy to forget to do. Especially if it is only for BBM, which in turn maybe only for a small number of contacts. So now you are sending messages to the wrong device all together because someone forgot to open up the BBM app and log it in. Similar things have certainly happened to me... even while waiting for a message from someone.

And that's not to mention that currently, my phone can be at home and I can use BBM on my computer or tablet through Blend. That's a multiple device situation right there. I've also left my phone behind on purpose many a times, just because I had a boss that liked to phone at odd times.

I think your putting too much reliance and dependence on that little "D". I really do not see how you can rely on it the way you claim you do. I really hope you aren't the type of person who freaks out if that "D" isn't responded to in a timely manner. All it really means is that it was in fact delivered to a device.
    01-19-15 12:51 PM
    The D means a lot more to me when I know that the receiver has a single device he is logged into.

Of course you can forget your phone somewhere. This is far less problematic than the can of worms of multiple devices all over the place.

Currently D is defined as "delivered to the single device the receiver is logged into". R is defined as "read on the single device the receiver is logged into". I like it that way. It becomes meaningless if it is redefined as "delivered to (or read by) one or more devices the receiver may own someplace". Might as well get rid of the D and R then.

Blend is awesome because you're still sending to a single logged in device.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-15 at 02:31 PM.
    01-19-15 01:44 PM
    The D means a lot more to me when I know that the receiver has a single device he is logged into.

Of course you can forget your phone somewhere. This is far less problematic than the can of worms of multiple devices all over the place.

Currently D is defined as "delivered to the single device the receiver is logged into". R is defined as "read on the single device the receiver is logged into". I like it that way. It becomes meaningless if it is redefined as "delivered to (or read by) one or more devices the receiver may own someplace". Might as well get rid of the D and R then.

Blend is awesome because you're still sending to a single logged in device.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Imho you have some serious problem here

01-19-15 05:56 PM
    Having your account transferable would also make device swapping far easier. I love my Passport but if I am heading to the beach or something, I would love the ability to easily swap over to my trusty Z10 for an afternoon.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    This. ^

Planning to get a red "burner" Q5 for the beach...
    But no, it's on the Passport only. Don't want to swap back and forth. :-(

�   2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...   �
    01-23-15 03:15 AM
    Multiple devices = BLEND!

 BlackBerry 10
    02-05-15 06:50 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    I agree with this. The only problem with this is that it requires the person to go into bbm every time. If they forget, they would still be logged into the last device they used.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 02:45 PM
    Blend solves this across all platforms. Download to ios devices

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 10:50 AM
48 12