The inability to use the same bbid on multiple ios devices is a huge gap in functionality in my opinion. IMessage does it well and so do things like email, whatsapp, etc. If BlackBerry wants to get ios users ditching imessage, the product has to at least have basic functions.

Too bad too, because I really wanted to use it with my kids on their ios stuff. One of the kids has an iphone and ipad and she hates it because it constantly has to be set up every time she switches devices.

I know I'm not the first to mention it. Just venting, I guess.
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 01-18-15 at 08:36 PM.
    tryfe likes this.
    01-18-15 07:26 PM
    I hear you. It is pain. I have an iPad and I created a new bbid because I had no choice, but would always forget the password lol. With blend now, it's ok, because I can use the same one.
    But I do agree, would be nice to be able to use it on multiple devices.
    01-18-15 08:44 PM
    Agreed.
    01-18-15 08:50 PM
    How would BBM handle the D and R (which is its prime feature)? If you have 5 devices all sporting the same BlackBerry ID, how would it know which one you were actually using? When would it tell the sender that his message has been delivered to you? - only if all of your devices received it?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-18-15 09:06 PM
    Whichever device opened or read the message I guess. How does iMessage do it or whatsapp. I thought they now also have the equivalent of the D and R?
    01-18-15 09:10 PM
    Whichever device opened or read the message I guess. How does iMessage do it or whatsapp. I thought they now also have the equivalent of the D and R?
    But the "D" means it has been successfully delivered to YOU (before it gets read). How in the world would it be able to determine that if you have more than one device turned on?

I don't know about iMessage, but WhatsApp does not work that way. One check means delivered to the "network", not to the end user.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Last edited by conite; 01-18-15 at 09:34 PM.
    yvpan1 and playpen007 like this.
    01-18-15 09:13 PM
    But the "D" means it has been successfully delivered to YOU (before it gets read). How in the world would it be able to determine that of you have more than one device turned on?

I don't know about iMessage, but WhatsApp does not work that way. One check means delivered to the "network", not to the end user.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Ahh okay got you. Well then there it is. Lol
    01-18-15 09:16 PM
    They could have icons for each device and just have colors for r and d.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 09:17 PM
    I'd happily forsake the receipts for simultaneous multiple device logins.
    anon(19759) likes this.
    01-18-15 09:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    What good would that do the sender even if he knew his message was delivered to the recipient's ipad, iphone, and HTC, but not to his BlackBerry or his desktop? He doesn't know which device he is using.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-18-15 09:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's getting a bit complicated. I think that the current setup would be fine. 'D' means delivered whether on multiple devices or not. And 'R' means read which is really the important one anyhow. It works without complicating things more. I sometimes have BBM open on my Passport, my laptop, and my Playbook simultaneously and the good old 'D' and 'R' notifications still work just fine for anyone chatting with me.
    I agree that it would make total sense for BBID to support multiple devices. It would also make us one step closer to a desktop version and cross platform video chat!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-18-15 09:23 PM
    But the "D" means it has been successfully delivered to YOU (before it gets read). How in the world would it be able to determine that of you have more than one device turned on?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Simply "d"= delivered to aa device. 1 or 10. "R"= read on a device. The issue now becomes duplication and reliability or security. How many ppl have access to these other devices. It could be read but not guaranteed it was read by you.

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    01-18-15 09:24 PM
    Having your account transferable would also make device swapping far easier. I love my Passport but if I am heading to the beach or something, I would love the ability to easily swap over to my trusty Z10 for an afternoon.

01-18-15 09:26 PM
    Having your account transferable would also make device swapping far easier. I love my Passport but if I am heading to the beach or something, I would love the ability to easily swap over to my trusty Z10 for an afternoon.

I completely agree. I would want this functionality.
    01-18-15 09:28 PM
    That's getting a bit complicated. I think that the current setup would be fine. 'D' means delivered whether on multiple devices or not. And 'R' means read which is really the important one anyhow. It works without complicating things more. I sometimes have BBM open on my Passport, my laptop, and my Playbook simultaneously and the good old 'D' and 'R' notifications still work just fine for anyone chatting with me.
    I agree that it would make total sense for BBID to support multiple devices. It would also make us one step closer to a desktop version and cross platform video chat!

Have to disagree with you there. The D is critical to me. I need to know if that message got to my employee's device. I know it will be read in short order.

If suddenly some people can "opt" out of D and R, then the whole system becomes inconsistent and unreliable.

To me, the better idea is to just log in and out on each device - but make it easier and slicker than it is now.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-18-15 09:29 PM

I was just writing the same thing!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-18-15 09:30 PM
    So just then don't have multiple devices then. Or don't have any d or r until every device responds. Skip BBM and call the person then

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 09:34 PM
    So just then don't have multiple devices then.
    I'm sure BBRY would prefer otherwise LOL.
    01-18-15 09:49 PM
    I hear it coming soon one bbid active on multiple device

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-18-15 09:54 PM
    Have to disagree with you there. The D is critical to me. I need to know if that message got to my employee's device. I know it will be read in short order.

If suddenly some people can "opt" out of D and R, then the whole system becomes inconsistent and unreliable.

To me, the better idea is to just log in and out on each device - but make it easier and slicker than it is now.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    I didn't mean that the function could be 'opted out' of, I just meant that you are able to have BBM open on multiple devices with the current functionality of 'D' and 'R' and it does work.

01-18-15 10:39 PM
    I didn't mean that the function could be 'opted out' of, I just meant that you are able to have BBM open on multiple devices with the current functionality of 'D' and 'R' and it does work.

OK. But the sender would not really know that it was delivered to the device in your hand at that moment, essentially making the function useless and unreliable.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    01-18-15 10:42 PM
    I hear it coming soon one bbid active on multiple device

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    I hope this is true - I would LOVE to have that function!
    01-18-15 11:30 PM
    OK. But the sender would not really know that it was delivered to the device in your hand at that moment, essentially making the function useless and unreliable.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Too extreme. Perhaps 'less useful and less reliable.' And either way, an 'R' is an 'R' and if you see that and they don't respond, it's over.

01-18-15 11:34 PM
    Too extreme. Perhaps 'less useful and less reliable.' And either way, an 'R' is an 'R' and if you see that and they don't respond, it's over.

I still think it's a binary proposition. Either the D has to mean it was delivered to the device in hand, or it does not. Useful, or useless.

From a security perspective, I also don't like the idea of sending a message to one person, and not realising it was a broadcast to all of that person's devices lying around all over the place.

There are other messaging apps out there - but BBM's claim to fame is controlled messaging between two people.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-18-15 11:42 PM
    But the "D" means it has been successfully delivered to YOU (before it gets read). How in the world would it be able to determine that if you have more than one device turned on?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    latest watsapp update shows blue ticks when message has been read.

so:
    one tick - delivered to network
    two ticks - delivered to device
    Two Blue Ticks - read on device.

in my opinion, it could be easily done - any of device reports "delivered". Any of devices read - reports as read.

If you device didn't get message - ic could be some kind of "p" notification (pending)
    As long as if message is read - = read on all devices

should be quite easy.
    Last edited by yessuz; 01-19-15 at 06:20 AM.
    01-19-15 06:06 AM
48 12