The biggest UI/UX failure in this is that the option to request the full resolution image is neither obvious nor indicated in the app when you receive one of those low quality images.

Due to that, many people may not even know the option exists unless you tell them. They'll just assume this is how the images are sent, and switch to MMS (which sends higher quality images) or email (full resolution) to share them...
    johnnyuk likes this.
    11-13-13 10:19 AM
    No need to apologise. Press and hold the pic.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't work on my sisters iphone 4S and my friends S4, it just doesn't show.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:19 AM
    It doesn't work on my sisters iphone 4S and my friends S4, it just doesn't show.

Posted via CB10
    Weird ... works on my 5s ....I can't speak for the 4s. I'll try my friend's phone tomorrow and see.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by solitude1984; 11-16-13 at 11:01 AM.
    11-13-13 06:44 PM
    I've had friends on an S4 and an iPhone4 report that it works. Weird.
    11-13-13 07:26 PM
    I've had friends on an S4 and an iPhone4 report that it works. Weird.
    It works on my ipod 4g, maybe I need to re-install on the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:25 AM
    Strange I just checked on my friend's 4s and it *doesn't* give her the option to request an HQ image.

Thesmartmale likes this.
    11-14-13 10:30 AM
    Strange I just checked on my friend's 4s and it *doesn't* give her the option to request an HQ image.

So I'm right

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 10:54 AM
    Wow. Didn't know. That's pathetic.

Posted via CB10
    They actually do, but it's not that straight forward, I had some difficulties getting it to work for friends on Android but it worked.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 11:39 AM
    The biggest UI/UX failure in this is that the option to request the full resolution image is neither obvious nor indicated in the app when you receive one of those low quality images.

Due to that, many people may not even know the option exists unless you tell them. They'll just assume this is how the images are sent, and switch to MMS (which sends higher quality images) or email (full resolution) to share them...
    Exactly, but it's there. This needs to improve, totally with you.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 11:40 AM
    They actually do, but it's not that straight forward, I had some difficulties getting it to work for friends on Android but it worked.

Posted via CB10
    How?!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 12:42 PM
    So I'm right

Posted via CB10
    Yes.

How?!

Posted via CB10
    I would like to know the answer to this too.

Thesmartmale likes this.
    11-14-13 02:17 PM

Yes! This is the problem, BlackBerry's way of implementing features has always been and continues to be unintuitive and in this case counterintuitive. Anyone would expect in 2013 that it would be the choice of the sender of a photo as to what size of file is sent; uncompressed or a selection of compression choices. Nobody would ever guess that after you have received a photo you can request it to be sent to you again in higher quality. Nobody!

This stems from BlackBerry's design ethos being rooted in the mobile world of a decade ago where data was very expensive and carriers were desperate to try to protect their infrastructure from being swamped by data and failing to meet demand. That world has changed but BlackBerry haven't changed enough.

Nobody today thanks BlackBerry for reducing their 1MB photo down to 12KB. Nobody today is using a Smartphone with 16MB of storage and a GPRS data connection where they pay per MB.

BlackBerry needs to re-engineer BBM's file transfer handling from the ground up to match their competition. BBM was stuck in the isolated bubble of BBOS for far too long where its users would put up with its baldy implemented idiosyncrasies sometimes unaware of how the rest of the industry had moved on. Now BBM has finally been allowed to leave home it has plenty of things to feel self conscious about.

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale and solitude1984 like this.
    11-14-13 02:36 PM
    How?!

Posted via CB10
    I'm going to have to assume that there is no way to make it work on older phones. It doesn't make ANY sense. Why would bb remove that functionality from phones that would have zero trouble receiving HQ images? I'm very frustrated. At this point, sending images to people through BBM is a complete joke.

11-16-13 07:00 AM
    I'm going to have to assume that there is no way to make it work on older phones. It doesn't make ANY sense. Why would bb remove that functionality from phones that would have zero trouble receiving HQ images? I'm very frustrated. At this point, sending images to people through BBM is a complete joke.

Why would they remove functionality? Why did they remove so much functionality from BBOS to create BB10? Who the h3ll knows!

Posted via CB10
    solitude1984 likes this.
    11-16-13 07:37 AM
    Here it is on a S3 Mini, just press the image received until de menu appears on screen as shown, select the HQ option

How to stop sending super low quality pictures-screenshot_2013-11-16-08-04-42.png

Posted via CB10 on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1055
    11-16-13 09:13 AM
    Here it is on a S3 Mini, just press the image received until de menu appears on screen as shown, select the HQ option

Thanks, but we know how to do it. Here are the options my husband gets on his s3:

11-16-13 10:57 AM
    Thanks, but we know how to do it. Here are the options my husband gets on his s3:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/17/qegyvuha.jpg

This will only be available if the image is actually bigger than what the initial thumbnail is, are you sure your tests are meeting this condition? If so, maybe it's only an iPhone issue.

11-16-13 11:04 AM
    This will only be available if the image is actually bigger than what the initial thumbnail is, are you sure your tests are meeting this condition? If so, maybe it's only an iPhone issue.

Maybe it's a BBM issue.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 11:25 AM
    This will only be available if the image is actually bigger than what the initial thumbnail is, are you sure your tests are meeting this condition?

Ah ok. I never thought about that. I just tried it using a high quality image, and the option does show up on his phone.

11-16-13 11:55 AM
    Maybe it's a BBM issue.

Posted via CB10
    Ah ok. I never thought about that. I just tried it using a high quality image, and the option does show up on his phone.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/17/evy6e9at.jpg

11-16-13 12:46 PM
    Here's the problem though, I went to my BBM app and to and clicked on "help." Did I find any information about image sizes, requesting HQ images, or why the option to request HQ images does not show up sometimes? Nope. Are people just supposed to guess what you can and can't do with BBM?

11-16-13 02:08 PM
    Here's the problem though, I went to my BBM app and to and clicked on "help." Did I find any information about image sizes, requesting HQ images, or why the option to request HQ images does not show up sometimes? Nope. Are people just supposed to guess what you can and can't do with BBM?

The Help file is a complete disaster. What does the Help file say about red clocks next to names in Group lists? Nothing.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:15 PM
    The Help file is a complete disaster. What does the Help file say about red clocks next to names in Group lists? Nothing.

Posted via CB10
    This is what is says about red clocks ....

11-16-13 07:15 PM
    This is what is says about red clocks ....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/17/na6ybamu.jpg

I said "red clocks next to names in the Group list". Not messages. Next to Group members' names.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 07:34 PM
    It's at the receiver's request. When receiving a picture you want in better quality, press and hold it then on the context menu, tap the HQ icon.
    Then the sender receives a request to send HQ image. Therefore, you don't pay for unusefull data trafic.

That's BlackBerry style , that's brilliant and that's exactly how I like it !

*Edit: Michelle posted about it on the blog ... wait a minute ... ah yeah, here : How to request high quality images over BBM on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    So one thing I've noticed though is if for any reason the picture transfer errors while sending the requested HQ image you lose the ability to request it again. You have to resend the photo, then rerequest the HQ.. unless I'm missing something. It's kind of a pain, anybody have a thought or workaround?

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    11-16-13 07:43 PM
59 123