Compared to competition like WhatsApp, Telegram or Viber?
    10-11-18 01:12 PM
    Not very secure.
    draculito likes this.
    10-11-18 01:14 PM
    Compared to competition like WhatsApp, Telegram or Viber?
    BBM is really the only remaining consumer messaging app that does not have end to end encryption.
    draculito and asiayeah like this.
    10-11-18 01:57 PM
    BBM is really the only remaining consumer messaging app that does not have end to end encryption.
    LOL, how the world's first real messenger turned into Indonesian spam platform.
    10-11-18 02:28 PM
    LOL, how the world's first real messenger turned into Indonesian spam platform.
    It wasn't made cross-platform before the likes of WhatsApp and Messenger got footholds.
    10-11-18 02:58 PM
    It's very secure in that there is nobody left using it...
    10-12-18 05:04 PM
    Notch secure at all (if you're using the free version)
    10-13-18 08:17 AM
    Oh, no, it has end to end, just behind an idiot tax paid subscription.
    conite and cyberdoggie like this.
    10-13-18 10:16 AM
    I'm willing to pay a subscription for security. WhatsApp used to charge a dollar per year, and I was fine with that. But Blackberry wants you to sign up for a workplace-based enterprise service, with a signed contract and whatnot.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-18 09:18 AM
    It maybe secure because I think few are using it..

Posted via CB10
    11-07-18 05:54 PM
    By passing from the slogan "the smart in the phone", BB (giving the BBM license to Emtek) could use the slogan "the spam in the phone". Lol!!

The fact that BB is making hard (at least here in Germany) to subscribe a license for BBM enterprise (but I am not an enterprise), shows how Chen and his board have no idea on how monetize. Why they do not allow easily to get a subscription? They could monetize much more....

Posted via CB10
    11-13-18 07:11 AM
    By passing from the slogan "the smart in the phone", BB (giving the BBM license to Emtek) could use the slogan "the spam in the phone". Lol!!

The fact that BB is making hard (at least here in Germany) to subscribe a license for BBM enterprise (but I am not an enterprise), shows how Chen and his board have no idea on how monetize. Why they do not allow easily to get a subscription? They could monetize much more....

Posted via CB10
    Because BBM Enterprise is marketed to their UEM clients, and it's not worth peddling to individual consumers. That segment doesn't generate an acceptable ROI.

BlackBerry is a software BUSINESS.
    11-13-18 07:38 AM
    The fact that BB is making hard (at least here in Germany) to subscribe a license for BBM enterprise (but I am not an enterprise), shows how Chen and his board have no idea on how monetize. Why they do not allow easily to get a subscription? They could monetize much more...
    You've answered your own question there. BlackBerry Ltd's in-house (i.e. not licensed) product lineup has no consumer-facing manifestations, instead being directly targeted to large businesses (UEM, BBM Enterprise), or is at best a bullet point on some other brand's packaging ("secure" manufacturing, in-car). If there was a market large enough to warrant making their products marketable to anyone without "Chief *something* Officer" in their job title, then there wouldn't be this discussion.
    11-13-18 08:53 AM
    You've answered your own question there. BlackBerry Ltd's in-house (i.e. not licensed) product lineup has no consumer-facing manifestations, instead being directly targeted to large businesses (UEM, BBM Enterprise), or is at best a bullet point on some other brand's packaging ("secure" manufacturing, in-car). If there was a market large enough to warrant making their products marketable to anyone without "Chief *something* Officer" in their job title, then there wouldn't be this discussion.
    Thurask, in a separated thread people are complaining on how hard is it to get a subscription to BBM enterprise....so BB is missing opportunities and potential customers.

Nobody gave a.... about WhatsApp and Telegram many years ago. I was using BBM daily and BB lost an opportunity to provide a secure encrypted app.... what a pity!! They could have generated also incomes.... If BB raised some money with the stupid stickers, why not with a customers approach with BBM? Just my 2 cents mate!

Posted via CB10
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    11-14-18 01:28 AM
    Thurask, in a separated thread people are complaining on how hard is it to get a subscription to BBM enterprise....so BB is missing opportunities and potential customers.
    Insufficient ROI from the consumer space.
    11-14-18 06:04 AM
    I sent a request to BBM (EMTEK) asking how secure BBM is (i.e. encryption, security, privacy). This is what I got back through e-mail:

"We apologize for this inconvenience.
    After discussion with the team.
    Those information can not be shared based on your request."

Not quite what I was expecting.
    12-14-18 07:06 AM
    I sent a request to BBM (EMTEK) asking how secure BBM is (i.e. encryption, security, privacy). This is what I got back through e-mail:

"We apologize for this inconvenience.
    After discussion with the team.
    Those information can not be shared based on your request."

Not quite what I was expecting.
    Although I would hardly think they would tell you something that isn't in the public space already.
    12-14-18 07:53 AM
    Although I would hardly think they would tell you something that isn't in the public space already.
    That's the thing... there is nothing about encryption or security on their website at all...
    12-14-18 08:04 AM
    That's the thing... there is nothing about encryption or security on their website at all...
    Which makes it even more unlikely they would tell you.

In any event, we already know the details from the BlackBerry days.
    12-14-18 08:09 AM
    Which makes it even more unlikely they would tell you.

In any event, we already know the details from the BlackBerry days.
    I guess. Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing, but I can't wrap my head around BlackBerry marketing their devices as the most secure Android phone when an included BlackBerry-branded app (BBM) is the most insecure messaging app on the market.
    12-14-18 08:12 AM
    I guess. Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing, but I can't wrap my head around BlackBerry marketing their devices as the most secure Android phone when an included BlackBerry-branded app (BBM) is the most insecure messaging app on the market.
    It's only insecure if you believe Emtek has nefarious intent. They would say otherwise of course.
    12-14-18 08:17 AM
    It's only insecure if you believe Emtek has nefarious intent. They would say otherwise of course.
    This makes it a matter of faith then. I hope BlackBerry Limited is keeping an eye on it. That's the best we can hope for I guess.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-14-18 08:20 AM
    "Most secure Android phone" is too nebulous to really define in quantifiable terms, especially since the phone itself is just one piece of an infinitely large puzzle; an idiot with a KEY2 who still has Yahoo mail, WEP WiFi and dozens of random apps from totally-real-apks-and-not-cryptominer-malware.ru would still be a hell of a lot more open to attack than someone without that marketing fluff on the box for their phone but with half a brain.

The virtue of Android at least is that one can install their messenger of choice (Signal, Telegram, etc.) and, like the entire world outside Indonesia, not even consider BBM's existence. TCL seems to be doing this themselves, BBM is merely a footnote in the preloaded applications list instead of anything worth showcasing.

And then you get into whether or not being interminably behind on major updates is counteracted by whatever "hardening" TCL applies to the OS (they don't publish regular sources, would be nice if the Free Software Foundation came knocking) and keeping up to date with monthly security bulletins, assuming they even get that right.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-14-18 08:31 AM
    Insufficient ROI from the consumer space.
    Johnny never could understand consumer marketing.

He would rather bury his head under a rock thinking that getting a thousand dollars a year from a thousand biz customers is better than getting a dollar a year from millions of consumers.

Quite simple... but something he will never understand.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-14-18 10:12 AM
    Johnny never could understand consumer marketing.

He would rather bury his head under a rock thinking that getting a thousand dollars a year from a thousand biz customers is better than getting a dollar a year from millions of consumers.

Quite simple... but something he will never understand.
    How do you get $1 per customer when the competition is free?
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-14-18 10:46 AM
79 123 ...