I was very surprised to discover that with a voice-only T-Mobile plan BBM would work flawlessly. I even tried with a non-active sim card (that would still sense the carrier's network) and it worked! This does not apply to BlackBerries powered by Android. I thought I could help a lot of people in my country (Colombia) who do not have money to pay for a monthly data plan. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work the same way down there, even though the technology is supposed to be the same.

Does anyone know how this is possible?
    Last edited by JPD404; 10-18-16 at 04:28 PM.
    10-17-16 02:03 PM
    Are you sure you are not using mobile data at all? Try again, but turn off Mobile Data from Settings. This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing.
    10-17-16 03:14 PM
    There must be some background synchronization going on without your notice..
    10-17-16 03:40 PM
    Or just that side of the world...It seems the technology is different there.
    10-18-16 10:55 AM
    I have talked to one of the BlackBerry technicians over the phone. He said the only thing he could think of was a provision from the carrier. The carrier (T-Mobile) doesn't seem to know anything about this hypothetical provision. I will run the test using an AT&T sim card and will let you guys know what happens.

This is actually an amazing feature you can get, at least with this carrier in the US. Suitable for a lot of people who don't want to spend money in data plans they barely take advantage of. A friend who had no job took great advantage of this feature and was paying only $3/month, while having BBM working flawlessly anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-16 03:07 PM
    It wouldn't surprise me if t-mobile provisioned it that way and don't realize it...but would be interesting to see how this turns out.
    10-19-16 11:51 AM
    I don't think there is a way and BIS is gone.
    10-19-16 01:37 PM
    Please read the post. I've explained in detail how it works.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 01:39 PM
    Wow!!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 01:59 PM
    In case you were wondering, trying the trick by turning off your data services will not work! Data services must remain on, while a voice-only sim card is inserted.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 02:01 PM
    I think with TMO, even with a voice only plan, you get a TINY sliver of data.

It's either that or they are counting BBM as SMS/MMS messaging which is included in the price.
    10-19-16 02:25 PM
    They are not including anything that they know of. If you try to access anything else it'll fail. It's BBM the only thing that'll work. Again, only for BB10 devices. For BlackBerry Android devices it doesn't work.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 02:48 PM
    I remember back in the day around '07, when everyone had a BB, ALL carriers (was working for one) were pushing plans which allowed BBM without having data. It was an amazing plan to keep people from leave BlackBerry who didn't want data. But I think after '11ish they dropped it as everyone was migrating to plans with data for apps and stuff.

But if BBM is working, that is dope
    10-19-16 10:12 PM
    I remember back in the day around '07, when everyone had a BB, ALL carriers (was working for one) were pushing plans which allowed BBM without having data. It was an amazing plan to keep people from leave BlackBerry who didn't want data. But I think after '11ish they dropped it as everyone was migrating to plans with data for apps and stuff.

But if BBM is working, that is dope
    That's what I remember as well. It was the heyday of BlackBerry and you never had to pay for bbm's sent.

I'm thinking it's a glitch in TMO's system that recognizes the phone that OP is using as a BlackBerry and allow them to send bbm's. I would suspect that the Priv is in their system as an android phone first.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    10-23-16 06:30 AM
    First test with AT&T failed. I used an expired working AT&T sim card and BBM did not work. However, I still want to try with an active one (voice-only) to see what happens. I also will try with an expired working T-Mobile sim card to see what happens. A friend who just moved to Spain will also run tests with carriers there to see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 07:40 AM