Are they stored some where or did the doctor simply never end his conversation and they were read right off the device? Is there a way to protect against this??

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 08:48 AM
    Most likely the law, they subpoenaed it, and his lawyer turned it over in compliance with the law. Or BBRY turned it over, but in any event the law was a factor here!
    01-13-14 09:05 AM
    Right but where did they get them from? Directly off the guys phone? Or are they retrievable from somewhere? Aren't they supposed to be encrypted or something?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 09:18 AM
    I actually came here to post this exact same thing, and to be honest I am very surprised that this thread (or the news) did not get the attention it deserve.
    This shows that what people care about, not privacy but silly features and applications, fancy stuff. The threads that relate to stuff like "finally muted the shutter sound" or "candy crapsh works" gets tons of replies but nobody cares that somehow a million dollar case that relies on the BBM communication between a doper doctor and doping baseball star.

Right but where did they get them from? Directly off the guys phone? Or are they retrievable from somewhere? Aren't they supposed to be encrypted or something?

Posted via CB10

I just watched the news on CBS and they said "the text message conversation between..." but the screen showed "BBM Records" on top of the printed records.

I seriously doubt that they picked up his phone and suddenly found these on the phone.
    Someone who was careful enough to take the freight elevator or meet between midnight and 5am to administer the banned drugs would be more careful about his conversation on BBM.

Edit
    Found some other conversations on this,

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...eroids-837032/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...al-bbm-836852/

Looks like the snitch handed over this blackberry and all his records, he probably kept records of all his communication to safeguard himself in the future and to get immunity by turning in the evidence.. MLB didn't actually "get" anything. They were given.
    01-15-14 11:42 AM
    Looks like the snitch handed over this blackberry and all his records, he probably kept records of all his communication to safeguard himself in the future and to get immunity by turning in the evidence.. MLB didn't actually "get" anything. They were given.
    How exactly is that done if I select save chat history in bbm settings to on and then end the chat, is that communication saved somewhere? Or did this doctor just never hit "end chat" for the whole time?

Also on 60 minutes they actually said "bbm messages linked to a pin number of a phone known to be owned by Alex Rodriguez "

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 12:05 PM
    How exactly is that done if I select save chat history in bbm settings to on and then end the chat, is that communication saved somewhere? Or did this doctor just never hit "end chat" for the whole time?

Also on 60 minutes they actually said "bbm messages linked to a pin number of a phone known to be owned by Alex Rodriguez "

Posted via CB10
    I don't really know how save chat works, but I am sure you can save as much chat as you want and then create a backup of your phone and save it somewhere else, when you restore your backup those old chats should reappear.

As for PIN linked to A-Rod, I think they can easily get the PIN# with court order, and it only confirms that the messages sent/received from Bosh's BBM were received/sent by A-Rod's BBM, so those PIN communications in fact took place between those two. That's all it proves. I didn't follow the whole case closely, but if anyone else BBM'ed A-Rod with that PIN# (if MLB ever had any communication with him via BBM) or it only takes one more person to confirm yes it is his PIN#.

PIN# is anonymous until you make it public.
    01-15-14 03:41 PM
    Let me start over because I think I'm asking my questions wrong. Basically all I want to know is if there is any other way of getting bbm's than physically reading / copying them off of one of the phones involved in the chat? And can a chat be saved some where so that if you end the chat you can go back and retrieve it later? And if yes to either, than how?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:54 PM
    On PRE os 10 devices, the BBM chats were saved in plain text format. Easily copied anywheres or forwarded if desired.
    01-15-14 07:27 PM
    Bbm saves chat if enabled but you cannot access the files from the phone due to no permissions. But if you save the chat and then I grab your phone and start a new chat than the history shows up. So all they have to do is start a chat with him from the phone and the history shows up. I use save chat cause I close chats all the time to keep it clean but I like having history for reference.

Posted from Z10@10.2.1.1259#ATT via CB10
    01-15-14 08:22 PM
    Save chat for bbm's saves it in a csv file I believe. I have had to access them on my computer in ms excel. Cannot be accessed in phone. Everything is kept, including group chats.

In the case of A Rod it most likely was the other party that handed over the messages. It could well be that BlackBerry may have been requested the messages. Not sure how true that is because I personally do not know if bbm messages are stored somewhere on BlackBerry servers encrypted or unencrypted.
    01-15-14 08:57 PM
    Save chat for bbm's saves it in a csv file I believe. I have had to access them on my computer in ms excel. Cannot be accessed in phone. Everything is kept, including group chat
    This is interesting! Are you talking about pre os10? I have a z10, where would this file be stored??

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:01 AM
    Anyone know where it is stored on BlackBerry 10 indeed? Chat history was pretty easy to find back on Legacy OS

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:25 AM
    No cause the os hides the paths. Only bbm has access to the path so we can't see it.

Posted from Z10@10.2.1.1259#ATT via CB10
    eldricho likes this.
    01-16-14 02:38 PM