I get between 5 to 10 unwanted invitation requests a day. This is getting really annoying. Is there a way to block this?
    I am on a DTEK50.
    All my BBM contacts are on WhatsApp as well, so I might even consider to get rid of BBM all together.
    11-26-16 11:47 AM
    no there is no way to block them. just decline and you should get the opportunity to block requests from them again. get rid of BBM? on a BB phone? good luck
    11-26-16 02:30 PM
    Yes same here. Very annoying. I always thought bbm was more secure than other messengers. So how did they get other bbm ids?

It's getting increasingly difficult to convince my few bbm friends that are left to stay. They are highly upset about that.

Also annoying that advertising increased significantly, recently it started to show in chats, no longer in channels only.

We're currently looking into Signal, and I think once our last Windows phone user will have changed platform, this will be the end of bbm in my community.

And considering the fact that bbm on WP is hardly ever working, this might happen sooner than expected.
    11-26-16 04:24 PM
    no there is no way to block them. just decline and you should get the opportunity to block requests from them again. get rid of BBM? on a BB phone? good luck
    OK, you are right it can not be uninstalled, I tried. However it can be disabled which makes it non functioning and I may have to do that if I get annoyed too much in future.
    11-26-16 10:15 PM
    I love the BBM pin system, but their lack of trying to stop spam invitations is absolutely frustrating. While I don't have a lot of trouble myself, I don't dare to recommend BBM to friends anymore. Because of this and because of the ads and I know that they are too greedy to be paying for any chat app. Shame.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-16 04:15 AM
    I don't dare to recommend BBM to friends anymore.
    100% agree. It's mind boggling that BlackBerry doesn't address this problem. I have had so many of my BBM contacts abandon the platform for this very reason. I get about 1 bogus invite per day but since I only use BBM through the Hub, I don't even notice. About once a month I open up the BBM app and clean out all the unwanted invites.
    11-28-16 01:14 PM
    Very random requests. What I think is happening is that BBM is interacting with other apps to send detail.
    We have gone down the path of being able to separate unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 03:52 AM
    What I should say is other apps found the backdoor

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 03:54 AM
    Very random requests. What I think is happening is that BBM is interacting with other apps to send detail.
    We have gone down the path of being able to separate unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    No, the people sending the invites probably use a random pin generator. That is far more likely than your theory of BlackBerry handing out pin details or your theory that other apps found a backdoor.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi and dietertong like this.
    12-01-16 04:48 AM
    My son, who lives in Europe, today received invitations AND advertising chat messages, apparently from Indonesian (?) companies or people. This is getting ridiculous. I no longer consider BBM being more 'secure' than other messengers. Where do they get the PINs from? Were'nt we told all these years, that BBM was so secure due to its PIN based system? Wasn't that the reason for BBM not being overly successful, as the finding & invitation process was somehow cumbersome? So we learned to live with these difficulties, argued for them being put into place to make BBM a very secure messenger, tried to convince people to stay away from 'comparably insecure' tools like Whatsapp etc., and then, everybody is getting invitations and messges from obscure sources?
    12-01-16 08:42 AM
    My son, who lives in Europe, today received invitations AND advertising chat messages, apparently from Indonesian (?) companies or people. This is getting ridiculous. I no longer consider BBM being more 'secure' than other messengers. Where do they get the PINs from? Were'nt we told all these years, that BBM was so secure due to its PIN based system? Wasn't that the reason for BBM not being overly successful, as the finding & invitation process was somehow cumbersome? So we learned to live with these difficulties, argued for them being put into place to make BBM a very secure messenger, tried to convince people to stay away from 'comparably insecure' tools like Whatsapp etc., and then, everybody is getting invitations and messges from obscure sources?
    Random pin generator. I just wrote that. But yeah, do agree with you. However, make no mistake, WhatsApp's use of mobile number opens up a lot of ways for spam too.

Posted via CB10
    dietertong likes this.
    12-01-16 09:01 AM
    He's using a DTEK50. I believe on that you can get rid of BBM?
    I could be wrong though

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-01-16 09:12 AM
    Random pin generator. I just wrote that. But yeah, do agree with you. However, make no mistake, WhatsApp's use of mobile number opens up a lot of ways for spam too.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not saying WA is any better. But why accept all the hassle with BBM, if it is as unsecure as WA, in a certain way?
    And, I'm sure there are ways of how to identfy messages coming from PIN generators, on the server side. It just has to be recognized as an issue by BB and get addressed.
    12-01-16 09:29 AM
    I get between 5 to 10 unwanted invitation requests a day. This is getting really annoying. Is there a way to block this?
    I am on a DTEK50.
    All my BBM contacts are on WhatsApp as well, so I might even consider to get rid of BBM all together.
    Can I find out from you how do you block spam on your WhatsApp?

Alot of us believe that these invites are from someone using a pin generator. So I guess the way that you use to block WhatsApp spam is the same way you can use to block these invites. All the best and do teach us too.

Thanks in advance.
    12-02-16 05:52 PM
    No, the people sending the invites probably use a random pin generator. That is far more likely than your theory of BlackBerry handing out pin details or your theory that other apps found a backdoor.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, it's like an autodialer for telemarketers, except even easier to make. One could do it in four lines of code.
    12-02-16 09:07 PM
    Yeah, it's like an autodialer for telemarketers, except even easier to make. One could do it in four lines of code.
    But how do they send the invites onto the bbm app? Manually typed out?

Also I noticed this is happening with mostly new users who've signed up using their cell numbers.
    12-03-16 10:44 AM

Also I noticed this is happening with mostly new users who've signed up using their cell numbers.
    Not true we'll at least in my case I used to get it when I was using my email address to register my BBM. Since I couldn't add in a phone number to my BBM, I re-registered my BBM using my phone number and never had that anymore.
    12-04-16 10:29 AM
    Ya just like i think the Gmail app is absolute garbage but "good luck" getting rid of it on an android phone. Oh wait, you can disable it just as you can with any other app.
    12-04-16 11:46 AM

It happens with accounts on emails.

You can easily install the app on a computer using Android Emulators (eg Bluestacks) - and then automate from there. Another thing you can do is automate it on the phone using a framework - again connected to the computer but still possible.

It's not difficult.
    12-05-16 09:06 AM
    Just block, don't respond . It is like the BBID doesn't exist . If you respond you are bound to get more
    12-05-16 09:12 AM

Or

Posted from my Canadian PassportSQW100-1/10.3.3.2049
    12-05-16 09:31 AM
    I'm getting 2 a day now but it was very seldom on BB10. Most are all the same message.
    12-05-16 11:47 AM
    So I'm really curious how do you guys cope with the spam on WhatsApp? How many do you receive a day?
    12-06-16 09:06 AM
    So I'm really curious how do you guys cope with the spam on WhatsApp? How many do you receive a day?
    In 5 years of using WhatsApp, I have never, ever, received a spam/unwanted invitation.
    12-08-16 01:26 PM
    I have been on and off of whatsapp, but had been using it for the last 2 years without interruption. I gotta admit, it does a much much better job at filtering spam out cause I think I only receive one in two years.

On BBM, I would receive sometime one per day, sometime once per week. it's just insane
    12-08-16 02:07 PM
44 12