So it appears that Apple's 64bit architecture in their newest phone took some developers by surprise. I'm left wondering how Blackberry Berry compiled and tested BBM for ios? If it was developed in 32bit that may present some problems and ultimately a delayed release of BBM for ios.

Surely Black Berry would not have had access to Apple's newest device for development.
    09-13-13 03:27 PM
    So it appears that Apple's 64bit architecture in their newest phone took some developers by surprise. I'm left wondering how Blackberry Berry compiled and tested BBM for ios? If it was developed in 32bit that may present some problems and ultimately a delayed release of BBM for ios.

Surely Black Berry would not have had access to Apple's newest device for development.
    One thing for sure the 64bit took lots of the iPhone loyal by surprise as well,so I wouldn't be all surprise BlackBerry got cut on Apple stupidity.

BlackBerry Z10, powerful tool indeed.
    09-13-13 03:31 PM

I'd bet that apps coded using the 32-bit architecture can run on the 64-bit architecture. It'd be a pain for Apple if all of the devs had to update their apps to support 64-bit to run on the 5S, so I'm sure they made sure 32-bit coded apps run fine on the new architecture.
    09-14-13 07:50 AM
    32bits apps are also compatible. So there won't be a problem. They can update it later to 64bit. Just like on pc

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 08:02 AM
    The 64-bit architecture is utterly useless unless you have more than 4GB of RAM onboard.
    The 64-bit / 32-bit CPU architecture is solely for RAM and doesn't have anything to do with faster CPU speeds because 64 is more than 32.
    A 64-bit CPU doesn't necessarily run faster than a 32-bit CPU. If apps can't access more than 4GB of RAM 64-bit is useless.

Developers will keep making 32-bit apps, any developer claiming to create a 64-bit app to take "advantage" of Apple's new CPU is selling hot air.

iPhone 5S: The 64-bit A7 chip is marketing fluff and won�t improve performance | ExtremeTech
    09-14-13 08:30 AM
    The 64-bit architecture is utterly useless unless you have more than 4GB of RAM onboard.
    The 64-bit / 32-bit CPU architecture is solely for RAM and doesn't have anything to do with faster CPU speeds because 64 is more than 32.
    A 64-bit CPU doesn't necessarily run faster than a 32-bit CPU. If apps can't access more than 4GB of RAM 64-bit is useless.

Developers will keep making 32-bit apps, any developer claiming to create a 64-bit app to take "advantage" of Apple's new CPU is selling hot air.

iPhone 5S: The 64-bit A7 chip is marketing fluff and won’t improve performance | ExtremeTech
    Talking to a Google engineer on the Android team yesterday, he agreed this is absolutely false on ARM. There are significant performance improvements to be had for well optimized code, clock for clock. This is why Google, Motorola, Samsung, etc were moving in this direction anyway, regardless of what Apple was planning. (He also pointed out some power usage improvements in armv8, which were interesting).

I wish people would at least wait to see how media compression, etc., works on the 5S, and Samsung's and Motorola's next generation phones, before making these claims of "fluff". Or is it that anything with an Apple logo on it is automatically fluff? Like all pretty girls are automatically assumed to be stupid?

Anyway, back on the topic of this thread, Blackberry can just submit a new version later with armv8, if they find that access to optimized Core Media, etc is helpful.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-14-13 08:38 AM