At least it started a hot discussion on my Facebook page.. people are angry because Facebook isn't in the charts, which makes no sense because it's a completely different product. Comparing Facebook messenger makes more sense. (yes, they are all Android users)
    10-27-13 11:25 AM
    At least it started a hot discussion on my Facebook page.. people are angry because Facebook isn't in the charts, which makes no sense because it's a completely different product. Comparing Facebook messenger makes more sense. (yes, they are all Android users)
    The Facebook App has Messenger Built in... Most people see no need to install Facebook Messenger because what it adds on top of Facebook for Android isn't worth the extra overhead of installing and running another app/service on your device.
    10-27-13 11:28 AM
    My friends all seem to like it. They are all on Android. No complaints thus far. Other than my brother telling me the "R" notification is a violation of his privacy. Heh.
    Lol, is is but that's what makes it so valuable. If you could disable the R there would be no point to it. I love the R.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 11:35 AM
    Lol, is is but that's what makes it so valuable. If you could disable the R there would be no point to it. I love the R.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. Lol. I told my brother how BBM was up to such and such number of installs on Android and iOS. So the way he reveals his opinion to me (comically) is "yeah well it'll be 10 million MINUS ONE if you bug me for not replying quickly enough". I then explained to him that if he just reads the preview there's no "R" on my side. He was instantly a lot happier.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    10-27-13 11:43 AM
    The haters coming up for air out of their basements is enough reason to know this just may have legs in the long run. If they only had 1 million people download BBM, people would have been negative. Now that they have a record number of downloads when it looked impossible to do, people are still negative. BlackBerry will never win for trying. One thing is for sure though, BBM and BB10 are hands down amazing offers. Nothing will ever change that.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 11:46 AM
    No longer a waiting list.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 11:20 AM
    Yet more hate spewed forth by the usual suspects.

Posted from my RIM 850 wireless handheld
    10-28-13 11:22 AM
    To put this a little in perspective, and I know a lot of people around here are amazed at the numbers, but Android activates over a million devices a day. These numbers are chicken feed on Android and iOS. There are over 350m active monthly users of WhatsApp. But yes, to Blackberry, they are amaaazing. In a couple of weeks, once the dust settles lets see how many are still using BBM. Otherwise the figures will be like other Blackberry stats (like shipped and not sold) - a little rubbery.
    "Activations" is on the same field as "shipped"

How many are Phones? How many are cameras? how many are tablets? how many are fridges? how many are watches? How many are naother device to an already existing user? how many were replacements for broken, bricked phones? How many were upgrades?

BlackBerry only sells(ships) phones.
    10-28-13 11:26 AM
    BBM has loads of features. D for delivered to device R for read by recipient. PIN is used to link up and not phone numbers. Lots of other cool stuff like group chats, BBM Channels, BBM Voice, BBM Video (all on BB10 and coming to other platforms).

Plus there is the pedigree of it being the first app of its kind. Nostalgia. Etc.

Throw in the fact that your data in BBM is being handled by a company that puts security first.

Lots to like.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    Please explain the feature "ready buy recipient"...is it a delivery notification ? Such as what's apps two ticks to show the recipient has received the message ?

I can definitely understand the practicality of a BBM pin as if I try to add someone to what's app that lives overseas getting the correct dialling codes can be problematic.

I'm almost sold and will try BBM again but just a few more questions.

Can you make normal voice calls ? (no video calls just a normal call that you would do on viber (free VoIP)

Is it cheap like whats app or much more expensive ? I know that in south Africa black berry used to offer bis and BBM for R 60 ($5.7 a month) how much is it just for BBM ?

Last question how reliable is BBM ? I remember it was down 3 days a while back...has BBM ever been offline once again, even just an hour since then ?

(all the social stuff doesn't interest me, I will just use it to contact family)
    10-31-13 07:10 AM
    To put this a little in perspective, and I know a lot of people around here are amazed at the numbers, but Android activates over a million devices a day. These numbers are chicken feed on Android and iOS. There are over 350m active monthly users of WhatsApp. But yes, to Blackberry, they are amaaazing. In a couple of weeks, once the dust settles lets see how many are still using BBM. Otherwise the figures will be like other Blackberry stats (like shipped and not sold) - a little rubbery.
    Yes let's see how the dust settles and people units tall then reinstall once channels and VIDEO are integrated into apples and androids basic world's.
    Yes what's app is currently more functional as it has had time. Noone at blackberry is refuting this. But when does what's app plan on giving you the option to video and start or belong to a channel? I'm once channels is up not only will you see a rise in BBM activity, you will also see a decrease in Facebook activity. Which is clearly why FB is rumored to want BBM

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 01:50 PM
    I love BlackBerry and BBM but I will leave this boot when Facebook buys it....

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 05:11 PM
    LOL OP makes me feel he was literally going to stand in a line.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:15 PM
    Please explain the feature "ready buy recipient"...is it a delivery notification ? Such as what's apps two ticks to show the recipient has received the message ?

I can definitely understand the practicality of a BBM pin as if I try to add someone to what's app that lives overseas getting the correct dialling codes can be problematic.

I'm almost sold and will try BBM again but just a few more questions.

Can you make normal voice calls ? (no video calls just a normal call that you would do on viber (free VoIP)

Is it cheap like whats app or much more expensive ? I know that in south Africa black berry used to offer bis and BBM for R 60 ($5.7 a month) how much is it just for BBM ?

Last question how reliable is BBM ? I remember it was down 3 days a while back...has BBM ever been offline once again, even just an hour since then ?

(all the social stuff doesn't interest me, I will just use it to contact family)
    BBM has a delivery notification by showing the letter D, and when the receiver actually read your message, it shows an R. (so unlike Whatsapp, you know that the receiver not only received it, but also read your message)

You can make normal voice calls on BBM. Skype-like and it sounds crystal clear.

BBM is and will remain free of charge. On older BlackBerry devices, you need BIS. For the new BB10 devices a normal data plan will suffice, and also for iOS and Android.

BBM has been down only once, the 3 days you say you recall. Other than this, never. I've had it for 5 years now, and 3 days out of 5 years is hell of a lot better than Whatsapp, which is down for a couple of hours at least one day per month.

BBM for iOS and Android don't have all functionalities of BBM for BlackBerry yet, but BlackBerry has made an announcement to implement this 'within months'. Voice calling is one of these futures yet to come, at the moment it's only on BlackBerry devices, but it will come to iOS and Android soon .

Which phone do you plan of using?
    11-01-13 04:05 AM

In BBM
    "D" = Delivered to your contact's device
    "R" = Read by your Contact

That outage was a lil over 3 YEARS ago.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 09:40 AM
    I think the assumption that BBM will always be free is daft, the infrastructure will need funds so they have to find a way to make money from it and I assume that adverts wouldn't sit well with it, l that's surely leaves subscription as the only sensible revenue raiser?

Not saying it's imminent but if has to be a probability?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    11-02-13 03:08 AM
    I think the assumption that BBM will always be free is daft, the infrastructure will need funds so they have to find a way to make money from it and I assume that adverts wouldn't sit well with it, l that's surely leaves subscription as the only sensible revenue raiser?

Not saying it's imminent but if has to be a probability?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    There's a rumour that BBM will have ads in the future. That might be the solution. If they do that, I'll be happy to pay a small fee to make it ad free. That way it'll still be free for the ones who don't like to pay.
    PFman likes this.
    11-02-13 05:34 AM
66 123