Folks,

Anyone testing this thing yet? I guess you can't share if you are. But it should pretty interesting. I just read about it on our blogs.....

BlackBerry announces their Enterprise BBM Suite - BBM Protected | CrackBerry.com

If anyone has any more info please share.
    02-25-14 08:14 AM
    Can you explain these new bbm stuff to dummies? I've tried figuring out how it's different to the regular bbm.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-25-14 08:40 AM
    I believe it's a self contained BBM for Enterprise. Something they can control through their BES. Perhaps only allowing internal communications for example. Others will know more, which is exactly why I posted up this thread to help us gather info.
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    02-25-14 08:50 AM
    I didn't understand it either, but having a self contained bbm would be amazing.

The big question would be: can you communicate with external users as well? Or is that a separate app? And if so, will it go through the company's server then to BlackBerry then to the user or straight to BlackBerry?

It would take some planning but I'm sure it'll be a big hit in enterprise markets.

Posted via CB10
    Just Me likes this.
    02-25-14 08:54 AM
    From the press release, it seems that they can communicate with external BBM contacts. What I don't get is whether those conversations will also be "protected"... if they aren't then what's the point of the protected internal BBM when you leave the doors open to the outside.

More importantly... how will this affect how regular BBM security is perceived? Is it *not* protected?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:02 AM
    From what I understand, and I am still getting information, it is similar to how it behaved on BES5. Enterprise Administrators could set their own INTERNAL encryption on BBM, and it would be processed through the BES, and no one outside of that organization would be able to decrypt those INTERNAL messages. This requires regulated, or work space only mode. Messages sent EXTERNAL to the environment would be "scrambled" as all standard BBM communication is.
    02-25-14 09:03 AM
    Also of note is this: "Security features for BBM Protected include end-to-end encryption of messages. BBM Protected will use FIPS 140-2 approved cryptographic libraries and symmetric encryption keys for an unrivalled level of trust in BBM message encryption. BBM also uses best-in-class technology for public-private signing and encryption key pairs."
    02-25-14 09:13 AM
    BlackBerry.

Running leak 10.2.1.2102
    02-25-14 03:12 PM
    Really pleased with this development.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 03:16 PM
    It's like entreprise IM !

eBBM Suite & BBM Protected What do We Know?-img_20140225_221912.png

Running leak 10.2.1.2102
    Attached Thumbnails eBBM Suite & BBM Protected What do We Know?-img_20140225_185310.png  
    dHatDUde_RudiE likes this.
    02-25-14 03:19 PM
    Oops second pic not about the topic.... it's a mistake....

Running leak 10.2.1.2102
    02-25-14 03:29 PM
    I assume Blend will eventually be part of eBBM.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 03:33 PM
    I dont think Blend will be part of this necessarily, but I do very much hope it is Blend compatible.
    02-25-14 04:27 PM
    This eBBM Suite & BBM Protected when fully implemented would definitely create some buzz. The Market potential is huge because its untapped.
    02-25-14 05:06 PM
    I dont think Blend will be part of this necessarily, but I do very much hope it is Blend compatible.
    If Blend is BES only though, I once again will suggest CB to host a BES server as a paid subscription for those who want it. I'm still [BBM green source face] over not having Balance.
    AnimalPak200, saxxman and Smitty13 like this.
    02-25-14 06:27 PM
    Bbm protect is like entreprise IM

Running leak 10.2.1.2102
    02-26-14 04:36 AM
    If Blend is BES only though, I once again will suggest CB to host a BES server as a paid subscription for those who want it. I'm still [BBM green source face] over not having Balance.
    Interesting...

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 10:23 PM
    What can the enterprise IM that BBM for consumers can't do?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 10:23 PM
    It isn't like enterprise IM because that is internal only. This is like BBM but allows for your own encryption to be added. Similar to how it was before, but allows also for you to communicate external to the organization.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 04:49 AM
    For it to be relevant to us they need an iOS/Android/ and Desktop eBBM app that supports video calling. Wish they made these same announcements 3 years ago!
    02-28-14 03:38 PM
    From the press release, it seems that they can communicate with external BBM contacts. What I don't get is whether those conversations will also be "protected"... if they aren't then what's the point of the protected internal BBM when you leave the doors open to the outside.

More importantly... how will this affect how regular BBM security is perceived? Is it *not* protected?

Posted via CB10
    Regular BBM security is effectively not protected, Blackberry has been saying this themselves for quite some time now. This sort of development is just what they should be doing at this point however, unfortunately, there are a bunch of other messaging services that provide the level of security they're talking about and have been for some time. The interesting advantage that blackberry has is they can get it FIPS certified (not that that means anything these days). When you're a government customer it doesn't matter how secure other services are, if they aren't certified, they don't exist.

But as I have posted a good 100 times now on crackberry and other forums, BBM is, by default, not remotely secure by today's standards.
    03-02-14 01:37 AM
    Regular BBM security is effectively not protected, Blackberry has been saying this themselves for quite some time now. This sort of development is just what they should be doing at this point however, unfortunately, there are a bunch of other messaging services that provide the level of security they're talking about and have been for some time. The interesting advantage that blackberry has is they can get it FIPS certified (not that that means anything these days). When you're a government customer it doesn't matter how secure other services are, if they aren't certified, they don't exist.

But as I have posted a good 100 times now on crackberry and other forums, BBM is, by default, not remotely secure by today's standards.
    If they use the existing crypto kernel in the devices, it will already BE FIPS140-2 certified
    03-05-14 09:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    I believe BBM really excels in security. At this moment, BBM is certainly the safest app available. For regular users like us, the encryption used is TLS. For example, is the same banks use for Internet banking. http://nicolashayek.me/bbm-whatsapp-switch/

I can't even imagine how safe eBBM will be. This company delivers for US government and army for gods sake (lol). They probably have encryptions we don't even know that exists.

Posted via CB10
    Alvin Loh likes this.
    03-22-14 02:49 PM
    If they use the existing crypto kernel in the devices, it will already BE FIPS140-2 certified
    Ah yes, FIPS140-2. That's the US government standard that mandates implementing DUAL_EC_DRBG, the infamous NSA-backdoored random number generator.

I can't even imagine how safe eBBM will be. This company delivers for US government and army for gods sake (lol). They probably have encryptions we don't even know that exists.

And that is precisely the problem.

clickitykeys likes this.
    03-27-14 02:53 PM
    And that is precisely the problem.
    This made me smile, and recall the lectures in which we learned about the pitfalls of "security through obscurity".
    03-29-14 07:47 PM
39 12