I have bbm installed on my iPod touch but I'm fact it's not working, bbm requires GPS and cellular data both iPod touch doesn't have.
    The thing is I can turn off location services and cellular data on my iPhone and BBM still works fine. So apparently it doesn't need GPS or cellular data. They just chose not to publish it for iPod for some reason.

In fact, the app never even registers for location services.
    10-22-13 10:14 PM
    The thing is I can turn off location services and cellular data on my iPhone and BBM still works fine. So apparently it doesn't need GPS or cellular data. They just chose not to publish it for iPod for some reason.

Turning something off doesn't completely change it
    10-22-13 10:49 PM
    Turning something off doesn't completely change it
    huh? If you turn these off, and the app still works fine, then the app didn't actually need them.
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    10-22-13 10:52 PM
    Location settings are used for Channels in BB10 and also i believe is collecting your location info for location based adds (if they ever monetize that way)
    10-22-13 10:58 PM

The application still reads that your device has a cellular radio, it accesses your gps for location but if you turn gps off, it still locates you using your wifi and cellular radios using cell tower triangulation, also what model is the ipod in question here? what OS version?
    10-22-13 10:59 PM
    The application still reads that your device has a cellular radio, it accesses your gps for location but if you turn gps off, it still locates you using your wifi and cellular radios using cell tower triangulation, also what model is the ipod in question here? what OS version?
    It is impossible on iOS to read a user's location without asking CLLocationManager. This app is definitely not doing that, else it would appear on the list of apps which have requested location.

This is on an iPhone. My point is that since the app operates normally (sending and receiving messages and updates) without cellular data and without location services, then it must be that the app doesn't actually require cellular data or location services to work.

However in the App Store, BlackBerry has for some reason requested that the app be available only to devices with cellular radios.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 10-22-13 at 11:29 PM.
    Icarus3000 and darkshin0b1 like this.
    10-22-13 11:12 PM
    It is impossible on iOS to read a user's location without asking CLLocationManager. This app is definitely not doing that, else it would appear on the list of apps which have requested location.

This is on an iPhone. My point is that since the app operates normally (sending and receiving messages and updates) without cellular data and without location services, then it must be that the app doesn't actually require cellular data or location services.

However in the App Store, BlackBerry has requested that the app be available only to devices with cellular radios.
    As i said location data is currently being used in Channels in BB10 might not be implemented yet in the IOS version since it does not include channels, you might be right when you say it doesn't require cellular data or location services to send and receive messages but instead just a data connection be it wifi or cellular.
    10-22-13 11:27 PM
    Gonna need some pics here guys..would really appreciate them..

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 02:58 AM

This is on an iPhone. My point is that since the app operates normally (sending and receiving messages and updates) without cellular data and without location services, then it must be that the app doesn't actually require cellular data or location services to work.

However in the App Store, BlackBerry has for some reason requested that the app be available only to devices with cellular radios.
    It was intentional because BBM is meant to be always on and always connected. There is no other reason for the limitation. It is also why we have never and will never see BBM on the PB.

Posted via my Z10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-23-13 06:02 AM

Instagram this is what I get when running the bbm app on my iPod touch 5 ios 6.0.1
    Is there any reason besides what I said before why this shouldn't work?
    10-23-13 07:09 AM
    Instagram this is what I get when running the bbm app on my iPod touch 5 ios 6.0.1
    Is there any reason besides what I said before why this shouldn't work?
    That may be a unrelated bug. The app also crashes on 7.0.3 when sending or receiving attachments. New apps tend to have more than one bug.

BlackBerry chose to limit distribution of the app to devices with cellular radios. That doesn't mean the app needs cellular data to actually work. I can turn off cellular data and the app works as normal.

And again, the current iOS version does not use location.
    10-23-13 07:15 AM
    That may be a unrelated bug. The app also crashes on 7.0.3 when sending or receiving attachments. New apps tend to have more than one bug.
    No it's only on iPods and on every iPod, so it must be this app is only working on cellular devices or cellular capability such as iPhones and iPads
    10-23-13 07:18 AM
    No it's only on iPods and on every iPod, so it must be this app is only working on cellular devices or cellular capability such as iPhones and iPads
    We may be saying the same thing in different ways.

Here is what I am saying. BlackBerry is preventing the app from being distributed to iPods. They may be checking for iPhone on launch as well, although that would be horribly hackish. It's also possible that they are using a JB check.

However, you can turn off your cellular connectivity and the app works. Therefore the app does not actually technically need cellular data to function. And the app does not actually get the user's location. That's all I was saying.

This limitation seems to be by choice, which I can understand.
    10-23-13 07:28 AM
    We may be saying the same thing in different ways.

Here is what I am saying. BlackBerry is preventing the app from being distributed to iPods. They may be checking for iPhone on launch as well, although that would be horribly hackish. It's also possible that they are using a JB check.

However, you can turn off your cellular connectivity and the app works. Therefore the app does not actually technically need cellular data to function. And the app does not actually get the user's location. That's all I was saying.

This limitation seems to be by choice, which I can understand.
    It is by choice. BlackBerry always talked about the advantages of BBM over other message clients because BBM was always connected. You knew that if you sent a BBM, the recipient would get it asap, not hours later when they reconnected to the Internet.

Posted via my Z10
    10-24-13 09:24 AM
    That argument is null when we consider losing data signal occurs often for many who are not in the metro areas.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 05:40 PM
    I think blackberry can't handle if they available BBM on iPod and iPad (again), you know that everyone are really excited with this, but the facts are blackberry tried really hard to hold the excitement with those waiting list, I think that blackberry not ready yet to handle all this, IMHO.

Twitter: @dennychandraaa
    IG: dennychandraaa
    10-26-13 06:08 AM
    There is a simple reason, why bbm isn't available on iPads and non-cellular tablets!

They don't want messages sent to devices which may lay around for hours/days! As of now bbm can be used only on a single device! If they may upgrade their protocol to handle multiple devices, we also will see Apps for non-cellular devices!

But I'm sure before seeing multidevice we will see Chanels Voice and Video!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 06:25 AM
    This is a fail in my opinion too. Big fan of BlackBerry and I'm not going anywhere but literally EVERY other IM client works on iPods/wifi-only iPads.

Kik, WhatsApp, iMessage (not xplatform)

I don't understand the reasoning behind this at all.

Posted via CB10
    Since when does whats app work on ipods?! They have to be jailbroken and if ur your ipod is jailbroken then you can install bbm too so it's the same.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 06:32 AM
    I can't agree with any of the current arguments against expanded iOS support. Here are my responses to the "Big 3" issues I've heard so far:

"Messages won't get delivered"
    1. BBM is famous for showing D for delivered, and R for read. If you're on WiFi and it goes offline for some reason, your messages won't get Delivered, and you'd know it.

"iPod and iPad without cellular radio could be offline for days"
    2. Please don't try to tell me how and when my iPod and iPad are online. As was mentioned above, some people have to contend with cellular data connection issues all day. I don't, and my iPod is connected to the internet as much as my cellphone (thru my cellphone -- which is an unsupported Android, ugh).

"Blackberry can't deal with the extra devices"
    3. If Blackberry wants to limit iPod and iPad devices from signing-up because the are worried about the extra volume, then they have other, bigger problems. As a free app that will eventually be monetized, they should want all the users they can get, especially ones that might be very light, casual users.

Over on the other thread we're trying to figure out how to get it to run:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-touch-862873/

It installs fine on my iPad 3 WiFi (no cell) and my iPod Touch 5... and runs fine on the iPad, but not where I need it -- iPod. It's pretty frustrating to be told when and how I should be using my internet-enabled devices. Blackberry is still holding onto the SMS 2.0 concept but they're not getting kickbacks from cellphone companies so there's just no reason for this anymore.
    10-26-13 05:36 PM
    You are light years ahead of me... How do you get it onto an iPad3 WiFi (no cell) ? Can you share your source for the ipa? (publicly or pm me?). Thanks!
    10-26-13 09:02 PM
    Since when does whats app work on ipods?! They have to be jailbroken and if ur your ipod is jailbroken then you can install bbm too so it's the same.

Posted via CB10
    Even it's jailbroken you can only install it but it won't work as you can see in the pic I sent earlier in this post
    10-26-13 09:37 PM
    What's weird is BBM installed on all my ipads that are wifi only from the official app store. When you search BBM in the app store if you click the app for more information and click install it says unsupported. However if I search BBM and click install without clicked for more details it installed fine. Its done the same thing on all my ipads in my house

Posted via CB10
    lexor1969 likes this.
    10-26-13 10:58 PM
    Hello MobileMadness002
    Please could you tell me how you downloaded bbm onto your asus memo HD pad 7.
    Thanks
    10-29-13 01:13 PM
    hello ealvnv, is there anyway to download bbm on a asus memo pad?
    10-29-13 01:34 PM
    Yes it's working on iPod touch
    11-06-13 07:28 PM
87 1234