I was just testing this same thing. I have one family member using an iphone 4s on sprint with ios7 and BBM that has issues with delivery and notification. If they turn their phone off, they will get no messages or delivery notifications until they reopen the app once (yes everything is turned on in notification center for the bbm app and background processing is enabled. They aren't really paying attention to BBM which means they never get any messages because they never reopen it.

On the other hand in my house we have ATT as a carrier (don't know if there is a difference just throwing it out there), mix of iphones, 5S, 4S and 4...all on ios7 with BBM and all work fine. I can turn my phone off at night, when I power it up in the AM all of last nights missed messages are sent.

For the friend that is having problems with notifications I will BBM her over and over..when there is no response I will imessage her and she'll be like yeah my phone is on and I never got a BBM. I will have her open the BBM app and then she sees them. Needless to say she is wondering why she is trying out BBM right now and would prefer that I just imessage her. Really hoping I don't have to keep explaining to friends why they need to hang with me trying to get things working. It shouldn't be hard. If it is they will stop using it.
    ErikConstant likes this.
    10-25-13 12:22 PM
    It doesn't have to be this way on iOS7, though. It's just that WhatsApp and BBM don't seem to be taking advantage of the newer APIs on 7 that would allow the app to wake up in the background and retrieve the new messages.
    Perhaps you should reference the exact api and submit it as feedback to the Bbm team? Seems like something they'd be interested In.
    10-25-13 01:20 PM
    IOS kills the app after a period of inactivity. Blackberry cant do anything about it as Apple wont allow it. Whatsapp and other app developers tried to reason with Apple but they won't risk it for battery performance.
    ErikConstant likes this.
    10-25-13 01:31 PM
    IOS kills the app after a period of inactivity. Blackberry cant do anything about it as Apple wont allow it. Whatsapp and other app developers tried to reason with Apple but they won't risk it for battery performance.
    Not true in iOS7. Any app can get background cycles, for example, when a push notification arrives.
    10-25-13 05:17 PM
    Perhaps you should reference the exact api and submit it as feedback to the Bbm team? Seems like something they'd be interested In.
    I will do that. For anyone else interested, a high level summary can be found here: WhatsNewIniOS/Articles/iOS7

Look under "Multitasking Enhancements"
    10-25-13 05:34 PM
    So studying this app further, I see that BB is using the periodic refresh API, but maybe not the background cycles on push notification. Or maybe they are trying to, and they have a bug.

I also see a high number of polling threads. It's like the app was written by a Java developer or something. In Android and iOS there are more efficient and reliable ways to do what they seem to be doing.
    10-25-13 06:09 PM
    It doesn't have to be this way on iOS7, though. It's just that WhatsApp and BBM don't seem to be taking advantage of the newer APIs on 7 that would allow the app to wake up in the background and retrieve the new messages.
    It's very possible that BBM wasn't developed for iOS 7. Remember the first version of BBM had the iOS 6 keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 06:58 AM
    It's very possible that BBM wasn't developed for iOS 7. Remember the first version of BBM had the iOS 6 keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I've been studying the app more and they do use one of the two relevant options in iOS7. They maybe trying to use the other, but they have a bug.

Their threading strategy is right out of 1998 from what I can see. If I'm going to keep using this app, I would want a couple hours to talk to their developers. The current strategy is difficult to debug, and it a big waste of battery and memory for the user.
    10-27-13 07:17 AM
    I've been studying the app more and they do use one of the two relevant options in iOS7. They maybe trying to use the other, but they have a bug.

Their threading strategy is right out of 1998 from what I can see. If I'm going to keep using this app, I would want a couple hours to talk to their developers. The current strategy is difficult to debug, and it a big waste of battery and memory for the user.
    I wonder why they developed it this way.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 09:05 AM
    The messages are visible in the notification centre even with the app closed

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-27-13 09:09 AM
    The messages are visible in the notification centre even with the app closed

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CB Forums mobile app
    Yes you get the notification on your iphone anytime but the other side doesn't get a D until you open the app.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 01:22 PM
    Now I'm getting 3,4 sometimes 5 notifications per message. Sigh.

I had hoped they would outsource this app to a top, experienced iOS team.
    10-27-13 02:58 PM
    Now I'm getting 3,4 sometimes 5 notifications per message. Sigh.

I had hoped they would outsource this app to a top, experienced iOS team.
    Have you contacted them about what you said, the use of the new IOS7 api and the D issue?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 06:15 PM
    This is happening with my friends who have iPhones as well. There is only a checkmark until the app is opened. Definitely not the same experience as with a BlackBerry.

And it makes it harder to convince iPhone users that BBM is better than iMessage.

Posted via my Q10
    10-27-13 08:10 PM
    Same problem here, if I send a message from my Q10 to my wife who has a iphone 4S I will get the delivery notification just if the BBM is open in the background. If I tap twice on the iphone button and swipe up and close the BBM I will not get the delivered icon on my BlackBerry. She will get my message but the delivered icon will appear on my BlackBerry just when she opens the BBM. Also another problem is the low notification sound. The BBM sound is half loud compared with the other notifications she get and is no way to crank it up.

Join my BBM Channel C000E96F6
    10-27-13 08:18 PM
    Have you contacted them about what you said, the use of the new IOS7 api and the D issue?
    Who is the best contact there? I'd prefer email, not twitter.
    10-27-13 10:29 PM
    Any updates?
    11-19-13 12:24 PM
    I've also confirmed this with Android BBM. It has to be opened after every reboot or else you'll never get the messages.
    11-19-13 03:19 PM
    I've also confirmed this with Android BBM. It has to be opened after every reboot or else you'll never get the messages.
    Not so on my daughter's Nexus 7...

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:18 PM
    Regarding android, it depends if you have the constant notification setting enabled.
    11-25-13 09:12 PM
    Regarding android, it depends if you have the constant notification setting enabled.
    Exactly!!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 06:19 AM
    You must have the BBM connected notification icon turned off.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 06:20 AM
    You must have the BBM connected notification icon turned off.

Posted via CB10
    really? thanks I'll try this
    11-26-13 01:34 PM
    really? thanks I'll try this
    Let us know what happens.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 04:33 PM
    Who is the best contact there? I'd prefer email, not twitter.
    Back on topic... did you ever get a hold of anyone? Seems like Twitter is the easiest way to at least fish out a contact.
    11-27-13 08:04 AM
73 123