Does BBM need to be opened to receive messages on iPhone? I closed it and I'm not getting any messages through. Does Whatsapp work like this too?

Is this by design?
    10-22-13 02:23 PM
    No it doesn't need to be open. As you can see here. You'll get a audible alert and a visual splat/ starburst notification.

Edit in this case the numbered amount of messages you have waiting.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 212897
    Last edited by 93Aero; 10-22-13 at 04:54 PM.
    dHatDUde_RudiE likes this.
    10-22-13 03:37 PM
    Are we quite sure about this? I've added 3 friends who have iphones, messages I sent to two of them didn't deliver for several hours. Their phones were on and had signal and data. I just got the grey check mark showing the message had left my phone and made it to the BlackBerry servers, but not delivered to their phones. /:

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 03:54 PM
    Are we quite sure about this? I've added 3 friends who have iphones, messages I sent to two of them didn't deliver for several hours. Their phones were on and had signal and data. I just got the grey check mark showing the message had left my phone and made it to the BlackBerry servers, but not delivered to their phones. /:

Posted via CB10
    With 10 million downloads I wonder if that was just due to server load?

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    10-22-13 04:06 PM
    I'm seeing the same thing. Does the app need to be open on the iPhone to get the "D"

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 04:31 PM
    No it doesn't need to be open. As you can see here. You'll get a audible alert and a visual splat/ starburst notification.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 212897
    I can't see your pic Areo
    gtifreak190 likes this.
    10-22-13 04:33 PM
    I'm seeing the same thing. Does the app need to be open on the iPhone to get the "D"

Posted via CB10
    This is my experience. It has to be open or running in the background for the messages to be delivered. You cannot force close the app with the red minus symbol or messages will not be delivered. Someone please prove me wrong!
    10-22-13 04:35 PM
    Does BBM need to be opened to receive messages on iPhone?-img_00000431.jpg

Here's another.

I'm reading the issues here. I have the app closed on iphone, then BBM myself from Q10 and I get the alert notification every time with the app closed.

I BBM myself from iphone to Q10 and still get the alerts.
    Even when I BBM the S3 and S4 in the household they all go through. Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 04:36 PM
    It probably uses a separate process to push when the app is closed. Kind of like Whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 04:38 PM
    Same issue. I did some tests and found:

- If the app is open it will show that it has been delivered
    - If the app has recently been opened (within 5 min) but now closed it will still show as being delivered
    - If the app has been closed for over 5 min the message is still delivered to the phone and shows up on the lock screen but will not show as delivered until the BBM app is opened on the iPhone.

I'm guessing it has to do with how the iPhone multitasks and the phone killing the app after a period of inactivity.
    10-22-13 04:47 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000431.jpg 
Views:	1705 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	212916

Here's another.

I'm reading the issues here. I have the app closed on iphone, then BBM myself from Q10 and I get the alert notification every time with the app closed.

I BBM myself from iphone to Q10 and still get the alerts.
    Even when I BBM the S3 and S4 in the household they all go through. Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    Thx Aero, maybe it's because I'm on iOS6, but I can never get that splat or any notifications when the app is closed.

Fired from my Z10
    10-22-13 04:55 PM
    I see. Just to be clear on iphone the notification is a number for BBM. On BlackBerry as you know it's the splat.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 05:01 PM
    Yeah I know what you meant, still doesn't work!

Fired from my Z10
    10-22-13 05:26 PM

- If the app has recently been opened (within 5 min) but now closed it will still show as being delivered
    - If the app has been closed for over 5 min the message is still delivered to the phone and shows up on the lock screen but will not show as delivered until the BBM app is opened on the iPhone.

I'm guessing it has to do with how the iPhone multitasks and the phone killing the app after a period of inactivity.
    That is kinda similar to whats app, u didn't get a double tick unless u open the app, while on android and BlackBerry it shows a double tick straight away

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 07:52 PM

That makes sense. I will ask my iPhone friends and see what happens. They are also on ios7 still seeing same thing.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 08:45 PM
    That makes sense. I will ask my iPhone friends and see what happens. They are also on ios7 still seeing same thing.

Posted via CB10
    On a side note, the iPhone was running iOS7.
    10-22-13 09:12 PM

It's how the iphone push and background processes works. Same issue with Whatsapp on iPhone:if the app is closed, you only get one tick, as opposed to two ticks on other phones

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    10-22-13 10:17 PM
    Having same issues. No notifications at all if bbm isn't open, or recently opened. Can this be fixed?
    10-23-13 09:00 PM
    The iPhone user has to go into their phone settings and turn on notifications. Badge app icon and sounds.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 10:49 PM
    Here is the fix

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 10:50 PM
    It's how the iphone push and background processes works. Same issue with Whatsapp on iPhone:if the app is closed, you only get one tick, as opposed to two ticks on other phones
    It doesn't have to be this way on iOS7, though. It's just that WhatsApp and BBM don't seem to be taking advantage of the newer APIs on 7 that would allow the app to wake up in the background and retrieve the new messages.
    ErikConstant likes this.
    10-23-13 10:59 PM
    The iPhone user has to go into their phone settings and turn on notifications. Badge app icon and sounds.
    Did all of that. It just seems that when the app is shut down and "sleeping" then messages will not go through until the app is started back up again. If most people are not having this issue then it must be a different setting on my wife's phone. She has a 4S. Again if the app is open, or recently closed, then notifications come and it shows a D on my phone. But once BBM has been closed for a few minutes then nothing

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 08:14 AM
    When you download the app people are making the mistake of disabling push notifications if that is the case bbm will work as a closed app to rectify this go to settings and then to notifications you can fix this here

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 12:49 PM

Yep, that's exactly how it works.
    10-25-13 01:03 AM
    Yep, that's exactly how it works.
    I know ppl who would use that issue as a feature lol they would use it to know if the person actually opened the app and didn't open their chat on purpose lol

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 06:41 AM
73 123