Hey folks. Was really curious. With this new BBM for android and iOS users does the app have to be open to receive notifications?

For example I have Viber on my blackberry. But my notifications only come if I have the app open and running in the background. So is it the same for Bbm on iPhones too?

Cheers
    02-16-14 03:24 PM
    I'm pretty sure BBM is headless on iOS and Android.. otherwise it wouldn't be instant messaging
    02-16-14 03:37 PM
    The way it works for ios is you receive push notification wether or not the app is running in the background, however if the app isn't running in the background the person who sent the message will not receive the delivered notification until you open the app. On android i believe the app is always connected to a server wether or not its open but im not 100% sure
    02-16-14 03:42 PM
    On iOS...
    If BBM isn't enabled in Notification Centre, you get the audible alert and the splat on the BBM icon. If you have BBM enabled in the Notifications Centre, you get also get the a toast notification/preview, with the option to close or launch.
    02-16-14 05:05 PM
    The way it works for ios is you receive push notification wether or not the app is running in the background, however if the app isn't running in the background the person who sent the message will not receive the delivered notification until you open the app. On android i believe the app is always connected to a server wether or not its open but im not 100% sure
    Yup...that's the way it works. Pretty poor in that one of BBM's primary features (trustworthy delivery notification) just doesn't work

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-16-14 07:56 PM
    So if I place a call on my Bbm to a iPhone bbm user will they receive the call if they have the app closed?
    02-16-14 10:19 PM
    So if I place a call on my Bbm to a iPhone bbm user will they receive the call if they have the app closed?
    No, the BBM app on iPhone has to be open or minimized to receive a BBM call.
    02-16-14 10:41 PM
    On iOS you need to enable "background PUSH" notifications for it which is OFF by default.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    02-16-14 11:01 PM
    Push notifications are enabled.
    02-16-14 11:12 PM
    If the iOS user doesn't have it open you'll not even have the option to call them...the call button will be shaded out.

And no matter what some might think, it is not just the setting for background notifications.

Without the iOS BBM app open the sender will get no delivery notifications and you can't call them.

Whether the problem lies with iOS or BBM has not been determined. Personally I believe it is BBM, because other messaging apps like Skype, Viber and Whatsapp don't have the issue.

Regardless, it is something that BlackBerry should have fully researched and advised, rather than leaving us all wondering.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-17-14 01:30 AM
    If the iOS user doesn't have it open you'll not even have the option to call them...the call button will be shaded out.

And no matter what some might think, it is not just the setting for background notifications.

Without the iOS BBM app open the sender will get no delivery notifications and you can't call them.

Whether the problem lies with iOS or BBM has not been determined. Personally I believe it is BBM, because other messaging apps like Skype, Viber and Whatsapp don't have the issue.

Regardless, it is something that BlackBerry should have fully researched and advised, rather than leaving us all wondering.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    It is definitely possible to do this in ios as google hangouts works at notifying that someone is calling you, even when the app has been force closed.

As you can see in the screenshot, a notification appears on screen and the phone also makes a ringing tone until you slide to answer the call. The hangouts app was completely closed at the time. This proves it's definitely a problem with the bbm app.

02-17-14 05:57 AM
    IOS only keeps the most recent and most used apps running in background. Every thing else is suspended or logged off after a certain period of time.

They all has issues since iOS 7 with long running background application... thus even if the app has autorisation to run in background, it will be logged off. Apple has a major update coming to solve the issue.

Some of my friends uses BBM often on their iPhone and I always get a D, even of they haven't touched the app for a while (light overnight). Others, their BBM seems suspended after a few minutes to 1 hour.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 06:49 AM
    Regarding general BBM on iOS notifications, I did a post on it here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbm-ios.../#post10173038
    03-27-14 04:16 PM
    Actually whatsapp for iOS has same issue so it would seem to be a limitation of the OS. If whatsapp is closed on iOS, the sender only gets notification that the server received it. Once the recipient opens the app, only then will the sender get the notification that the recipient received the app. Same with bbm and the app needs to be open to receive bbm calls. Lame if you ask me.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 10:12 PM
    Actually whatsapp for iOS has same issue so it would seem to be a limitation of the OS. If whatsapp is closed on iOS, the sender only gets notification that the server received it. Once the recipient opens the app, only then will the sender get the notification that the recipient received the app. Same with bbm and the app needs to be open to receive bbm calls. Lame if you ask me.

Well I haven't used WhatsApp but I'm under the impression they have slightly different delivery notification indicators. IE I don't think they make a distinction between "delivered to device" and "read by user".

In my recent testing with iOS6, BBM behaves as expected:

If there was no delivery to the recipient device but the message was successfully forwarded to the BBM infrastructure, you get a grey checkmark. (Presumably if BBM is down and you have no communications at all you will get a red "X" like on Blackberry devices)

If the message was delivered to the device but not read, you will get a "D" indicator. This manifests in different ways depending on how the device is configured - ie if you have "background refresh" enabled and appropriate notification settings, you will see a "toast" or "banner" notification of the incoming message and the BBM icon will be "badged" with the number of unread messages. If you do not have those settings configured that way, you will have to open the BBM app to see the pending received messages.

If the message was displayed within the BBM app - then and only then will you see the "R" indicator.

03-31-14 03:26 AM
    It is definitely possible to do this in ios as google hangouts works at notifying that someone is calling you, even when the app has been force closed.

As you can see in the screenshot, a notification appears on screen and the phone also makes a ringing tone until you slide to answer the call. The hangouts app was completely closed at the time. This proves it's definitely a problem with the bbm app.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/qynu5aga.jpg
    That is just a text notification. You can't answer or reject the call from there.

This is a known iOS limitation. It can only do simple tasks like updating content from a feed in the background. Things like message decryption and voice calls can only be done when the app is in the foreground.
    04-02-14 05:29 AM
    That is just a text notification. You can't answer or reject the call from there.

This is a known iOS limitation. It can only do simple tasks like updating content from a feed in the background. Things like message decryption and voice calls can only be done when the app is in the foreground.
    I'm curious as to a final word on this question up to this date. So on the subject of having a contact receive calls on their iPhone. I find the contact has to have the BBM app open. Not in the foreground necessarily. They will also receive a call when open in the background. Not sure how having this app open all the time will effect their battery life though?
    10-26-14 05:49 PM
    I'm curious as to a final word on this question up to this date. So on the subject of having a contact receive calls on their iPhone. I find the contact has to have the BBM app open. Not in the foreground necessarily. They will also receive a call when open in the background. Not sure how having this app open all the time will effect their battery life though?
    I don't think so unless the user has not allowed push notifications from the BBM app. I have had BBM loaded on an old iPod touch (running iOS 6.x) and I can't remember the last time I opened the app (it's mostly for testing and checking it out),.. however I just made a BBM call to it and it "rang". Additionally I've sent test messages to it and they show up whenever I click on the top lock button.

The only issue is when I tap on that notification it takes a while to open up the actual BBM chat and show it. But again, it's an old iPod touch.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 06:13 PM
    I don't think so unless the user has not allowed push notifications from the BBM app. I have had BBM loaded on an old iPod touch (running iOS 6.x) and I can't remember the last time I opened the app (it's mostly for testing and checking it out),.. however I just made a BBM call to it and it "rang". Additionally I've sent test messages to it and they show up whenever I click on the top lock button.

The only issue is when I tap on that notification it takes a while to open up the actual BBM chat and show it. But again, it's an old iPod touch.

Posted via CB10
    You can not make a call to an iOS contact unless their BBM app is open in active frame or in the background.
    10-26-14 06:40 PM
    You can not make a call to an iOS contact unless their BBM app is open in active frame or in the background.
    What's "in the background" in iOS? The icons that show up at the bottom when you double tap the home button? If so, you're probably right as I've never close BBM on it.

All I know is most my iOS friends that had BBM would never reliably receive and answer my BBMs. I always had to ask them if they saw the msg using Whatsapp. So now we use Whatsapp.. lol

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 10:15 PM