Someone asked me today if they needed to worry about being monitored using BBM on their employer's wifi and before I told them "No" I just wanted to verify. I'd have had no hesitation prior to BB10, but I don't really keep up with all of the changes, so I wanted to be sure.
    02-23-14 04:33 PM
    No

Posted from my new toy Z30.
    02-23-14 04:33 PM
    Depends if they are using a BB that was issued by that employer and that it is being managed by that employer's BES.
    If used on that employer's BES and the IT Policy is set to log PIN messages, then the answer would be 'yes, the employer can monitor their users' PIN messages'.

Please note that I am NOT a BES admin, rather, this is information that was passed along to me by former BES Admin.
    02-25-14 01:51 PM
    Depends if they are using a BB that was issued by that employer and that it is being managed by that employer's BES.
    If used on that employer's BES and the IT Policy is set to log PIN messages, then the answer would be 'yes, the employer can monitor their users' PIN messages'.

Please note that I am NOT a BES admin, rather, this is information that was passed along to me by former BES Admin.
    Very true if the employer bb handset is on the BES server and usually monitoring pin messages. Most Gov, police, civil service, some orgs., school boards, etc., monitor all activity on their BB devices.

However, using the BBM app on your personal device (without employer certificates) such as BB, android or iPhone over the company WiFi will be safe from sysadmin eyes. The WiFi sysadmin will see nonreadable scramble of letters and numbers. Much more privacy compared to using an employers BB device.
    Last edited by gdarmy; 02-25-14 at 10:57 PM.
    02-25-14 10:41 PM