I find that a lot of the feeds that I join in channels haven't been updated in months. These are some larger channels. As an example Rolling Stone with over fifty thousand subscribers hasn't seen a new post in 6 months. TIFF, one of the most exclusive film fest in the world didn't even bother to update their channel during this year's festival. Same with usa today and wsj, these have thousands of subscribers. UPS with thousands of subscribers hasn't done anything in months. The list goes on.

One of the larger ones, Time, is updated daily which is good.

I just find that channels has just lost traction. It's almost gone stale.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 11:41 AM
    I find that a lot of the feeds that I join in channels haven't been updated in months. These are some larger channels. As an example Rolling Stone with over fifty thousand subscribers hasn't seen a new post in 6 months. TIFF, one of the most exclusive film fest in the world didn't even bother to update their channel during this year's festival. Same with usa today and wsj, these have thousands of subscribers. UPS with thousands of subscribers hasn't done anything in months. The list goes on.

One of the larger ones, Time, is updated daily which is good.

I just find that channels has just lost traction. It's almost gone stale.
    Does that honestly surprise you? It's yet another social network of which we have so many and it's attached to a product that doesn't even need it, let alone that many BBM users probably won't even notice or use it. I think the companies you mentioned probably discovered that it's just not an interesting marketing tool and just not worth the effort.
    10-10-14 11:58 AM
    I had the same complaint about Wall Street Journal - it was strange that people on this form tried to rationalize abandoning channels with tens of thousands of followers (WSJ had 70-80k). I like Channels and how it is formatted so check it fairly often so I don't get the lack of traction. My guess is that while some brands gave it a go lack of integration with social media platform managers (ex. Hootsuite, Buffer, Socialflow, etc.) has made Channels a pain to update as it requires additional attention. I do note however that Hootsuite recently offered Channels integration so hopefully it'll improve updating, etc. BBM is generally due for an overhaul or major upgrades, at least on IOS, Android, and Windows, to maximize its use anyway.
    10-10-14 11:59 AM
    Does that honestly surprise you? It's yet another social network of which we have so many and it's attached to a product that doesn't even need it, let alone that many BBM users probably won't even notice or use it. I think the companies you mentioned probably discovered that it's just not an interesting marketing tool and just not worth the effort.
    Again, why would they treat it differently than any other platform if there are tens of thousands of users? On what basis do you distinguish it from other social media platforms if it is fact drawing attention to their brand or drawing people to their websites? I don't ever bother to navigate to Time when I'm on my desktop but if I'm looking at Channels and Time has an interesting headline I have no choice but to open their site - that's traffic Time never had. Anyway, to repeat, I don't get the cynical thinking about it.
    10-10-14 12:18 PM
    Again, why would they treat it differently than any other platform if there are tens of thousands of users? On what basis do you distinguish it from other social media platforms if it is fact drawing attention to their brand or drawing people to their websites? I don't ever bother to navigate to Time when I'm on my desktop but if I'm looking at Channels and Time has an interesting headline I have no choice but to open their site - that's traffic Time never had. Anyway, to repeat, I don't get the cynical thinking about it.
    You'd have to compare the subscriber numbers and click rates, I suppose. Tens of thousands subscribers may be just a drop in the bucket compared to other platforms. I myself subscribed to several channels and I never bothered to check them out again. That may be a lot more common than you think, regardless of the subscriber count.

The fact that these companies are not actively supporting it anymore suggests that there is no compelling reason to keep posting new entries. Either that or BBM Channels are indeed not integrated into popular platform managers or because BlackBerry doesn't provide (good) analytical tools and are for those reasons neglected. I don't find that surprising, given the sheer wealth of social networks we have and how quickly they come and go because they just don't acquire or keep enough traction.
    10-10-14 01:09 PM
    Well, to try liven up this thread. You can always join my channel I'm updating it every 2nd - 3rd day. With new Wallpapers.

BlackBerry 10 Wallpapers (BBM Channel) C004635F8
    sjwpenney likes this.
    10-10-14 04:09 PM
    I would tend to agree that the corporate channels are languishing. The social side is thriving and growing. There is a lot of good original content on BBMC as evidenced by the fact BlackBerry is featuring more of these channels on the front page.

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    10-11-14 10:20 AM
    The corporate side is definitely stale.

The public/regular-people is pretty active. I find that it's a bit overwhelming at times like if you look for "The Walking Dead" for example, you'll probably get 1000's of channels pop up.
    10-17-14 10:37 AM
    Channels are failing because of BlackBerry's lack of interest. It's another half baked attempt by BlackBerry. No technical updates in months. Channel scrolling is a nightmare. Stats are flawed. Nothing new or exciting happening.

ChannelX C000D3759 We promote channels
    10-17-14 10:53 AM