Installed BBM just fine on my iPhone but got a "not compatible" error when I tried to install to my iPad mini. It's pretty unusual for an iPhone app to not install on an iPad because most of this kind of software easily runs in the iPhone-like 1x or 2x screen size mode.

It's possible that Blackberry is just wanting to attract smartphone users since they are essentially out of the tablet business right now. It's also possible that they don't want iPad and Android users to be using BBM while Playbook users fume on the sidelines.

This is a deal-killer. iOS users are used to iMessage which synchronizes messages among all devices with one Apple ID including iPhone, iPod, iPad and Mac. It's not perfect - which tells me that it's difficult to do correctly. That may be why BBM doesn't do it now.

I think there are plenty of Blackberry-using dads out there with iPad/iPod using kids who would love to text them on BBM. I would be pretty disappointed. Making iPhones app compatible with iPad is actually turned on by default for the developer.

I can understand that BBM users have never synchronized their smartphone chats with their tablet without bridging. However, iOS users do it every day and if you're going to play in the iOS playground, you'd better at least match this basic functionality or you can forget about winning over users.
    09-21-13 01:55 PM
    I can use what's app on a phone but not on a tablet. May be the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    09-21-13 01:59 PM
    Something about having to have an actual mobile connection, not just wife. I think that's the issue.

As far as what's app not working on the ipad it's because it's tied to a phone number and would be able to verify from a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 02:02 PM
    Something about having to have an actual mobile connection, not just wife. I think that's the issue.

As far as what's app not working on the ipad it's because it's tied to a phone number and would be able to verify from a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    1) It better not be using mobile data when I have wifi. That would be lame, especially if I'm roaming overseas.

2) My iPhone BBM never asked for my phone number. I don't think it knows it. It seems to key off your email.
    09-21-13 02:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think you'll find its not tied to the phone number.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 02:26 PM
    I have Ipad 2 and i installed BBM on it just now and its working, but i can BBM to my z10 but I can't BBM it back.

Well i get the .ipa file and installed it to my Ipad 2 Running IOS 7
    saxxman likes this.
    09-21-13 02:29 PM
    BlackBerry is officially not supporting tablets at this time, including the iPad. BBM is "always connected" and they didn't want BBM going to users who were not "always connected." Don't blame the messenger, that is straight from BB.
    09-21-13 04:40 PM
    Okay, let me see if I have this correct...

a) BBM is not supported on iPads

b) BBM is an iOS 6 app, not iOS 7

c) You have to use a different PIN on every device, rather than being able to receive messages across all your devices.

Is all this true?
    09-21-13 06:46 PM
    Okay, let me see if I have this correct...

a) BBM is not supported on iPads

b) BBM is an iOS 6 app, not iOS 7

c) You have to use a different PIN on every device, rather than being able to receive messages across all your devices.

Is all this true?
    a) True

b) It works on iOS 6 and higher

c) True. Logging in to a new device with your BBID will log you out of the previous device.
    09-21-13 07:16 PM
    a) True
    So communicating with any friends who may have an iPad but a dumb phone, or Windows Phone is impossible. My wanting to sit and use my iPad int he reverse would be impossible, as well... sad

b) It works on iOS 6 and higher
    Yes, but everyone and their brother are judging apps that aren't made for iOS 7 now. Hald the people that WERE using iOS6 or now using iOS 7, just a few days later. The first thing people check is the keyboard to see if it's an iOS 7 app and BB has had since June to even add that. Sad.

c) True. Logging in to a new device with your BBID will log you out of the previous device.
    So if I were to lay one phone down and pick another device up, I couldn't just carry on the conversation like normal...

Sad all around.
    09-21-13 07:25 PM
    No Android release as promised and no longer available in the AppStore in any part of the world. It's a debacle.

Very sad.
    09-21-13 07:33 PM
    So communicating with any friends who may have an iPad but a dumb phone, or Windows Phone is impossible. My wanting to sit and use my iPad int he reverse would be impossible, as well... sad

Yes, but everyone and their brother are judging apps that aren't made for iOS 7 now. Hald the people that WERE using iOS6 or now using iOS 7, just a few days later. The first thing people check is the keyboard to see if it's an iOS 7 app and BB has had since June to even add that. Sad.

So if I were to lay one phone down and pick another device up, I couldn't just carry on the conversation like normal...

Sad all around.
    Is there any actual messenger that allows you to reliably log on to two devices? I know that LINE allows you to log in a mobile device and a PC/laptop at the same time, but that is not a "device".

Logging in to another device with Skype is possible but the message, as Skype warns, will sporadically come to either one of the devices.

LINE and KakaoTalk acts the way BlackBerry does: logging in to another device wipes the data from the first device.

WhatsApp is tied to your phone number, so it's a physical impossibility with WhatsApp

I, too, would like that capability, but at this point I don't know of any messenger that can actually do that.

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    09-21-13 08:58 PM
    Is there any actual messenger that allows you to reliably log on to two devices? I know that LINE allows you to log in a mobile device and a PC/laptop at the same time, but that is not a "device".

Logging in to another device with Skype is possible but the message, as Skype warns, will sporadically come to either one of the devices.

LINE and KakaoTalk acts the way BlackBerry does: logging in to another device wipes the data from the first device.

WhatsApp is tied to your phone number, so it's a physical impossibility with WhatsApp

I, too, would like that capability, but at this point I don't know of any messenger that can actually do that.

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    May sound like bit of a joke, but Facebook Messenger allows complete cross-platform compatibility, even Windows PC. Just that they don't have a way to deal with "wait for messages to send when having poor connectivity", either the message goes instantly or it fails, no hourglass routine like BBM or Whatsapp!
    09-21-13 10:28 PM
    iMessage allows multiple devices at one time, doesn't it?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 11:56 PM
    Cross Platform BBM - Not for iPad?-photo-22-09-13-11-08-17.png

It works perfectly on my iPad.

Cross Platform BBM - Not for iPad?-photo-22-09-13-13-59-27.png

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 22-09-13 11 08 17.png 
Views:	463 
Size:	537.3 KB 
ID:	204303

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 02:11 AM
    Yes, iMessage is "always on" for iPhone, iPod, iPad and any/all Macs in my home. (...and a Mac/PC is just as much a device as a phone - it simply isn't a "Mobile device).

In fact, even if I receive an iMessage directly to my phone number (as opposed to Apple ID which I rarely give out), it is still sent to other devices (such as my Mac) and I can reply from those devices just as if I were using the phone.

So when I'm out running errands I can message that way but when I come home and sit down to work at the computer, I can pick up the conversation without fail (and even see the chat history from the other devices).
    09-22-13 03:41 AM
    Yes, iMessage is "always on" for iPhone, iPod, iPad and any/all Macs in my home. (...and a Mac/PC is just as much a device as a phone - it simply isn't a "Mobile device).

In fact, even if I receive an iMessage directly to my phone number (as opposed to Apple ID which I rarely give out), it is still sent to other devices (such as my Mac) and I can reply from those devices just as if I were using the phone.

So when I'm out running errands I can message that way but when I come home and sit down to work at the computer, I can pick up the conversation without fail (and even see the chat history from the other devices).
    That's convenient. Apple may be evil, but they do things well.

EDIT: Wait, iMessage is not cross-platform, isn't it?

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    09-22-13 07:28 AM

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 08:25 AM
    Any word on if bbm will be available on an ipod touch?

Posted Via CB10 - Q10
    09-22-13 09:42 AM

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    I'd consider iOS <-> OS X to be cross platform but no, there is no Android or Windows Phone version. However, that doesn't negate the convenience and being cross platform doesn't prevent that kind of synergy. Simply no one else has done it besides Apple.
    09-22-13 06:07 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 22-09-13 11 08 17.png 
Views:	463 
Size:	537.3 KB 
ID:	204303

It works perfectly on my iPad.
    Posted via CB10
    Workaround? Would it work on ipod?
    09-22-13 07:04 PM
    Work for ipad then should work too for ipod touch (i guess).
    But need some tweaks to make it happen, cause it is not build for ipad and ipod.Cross Platform BBM - Not for iPad?-imageuploadedbycb-forums1380044017.936165.jpg

Sent from my iPad with BBM
    09-24-13 12:32 PM
    Work for ipad then should work too for ipod touch (i guess).
    But need some tweaks to make it happen, cause it is not build for ipad and ipod.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1380044017.936165.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	205024

Sent from my iPad with BBM
    is there a way to load it on Ipad without being JB?
    09-24-13 01:35 PM
    is there a way to load it on Ipad without being JB?
    I don't know bcoz you are not JB then:
    1. how you can load and install bbm.ipa file to your ipad if not from itunes? For now there is no bbm app available in appstore anymore.
    2. you need cydia app to bypass the "! No internet connection" first launch screen.
    I success load it only with ios6+JB for iPad2, maybe Uberstip can help as i saw his post with "ios7" + BBM and cydia too :-)

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 04:23 PM
    I don't know bcoz you are not JB then:
    1. how you can load and install bbm.ipa file to your ipad if not from itunes? For now there is no bbm app available in appstore anymore.
    2. you need cydia app to bypass the "! No internet connection" first launch screen.
    I success load it only with ios6+JB for iPad2, maybe Uberstip can help as i saw his post with "ios7" + BBM and cydia too :-)

Posted via CB10
    I was able to install it on ipad using iTools... but once i click on the app it takes me to the BB site
    09-24-13 06:02 PM
26 12