Who of us doesn't love development for BlackBerry? You've probably paid for apps not just because you liked them (or maybe you didn't like them that much), but because you wanted to support the developer as he continues to make apps for BlackBerry.

So I now find myself torn. I have to admit What's App has spent some real development time for BlackBerry. They put out true testing betas and then implement their updates with official releases in BlackBerry world. All good, right? Well, What's app also competes with my longtime companion, BBM. They are doing some job at making themselves attractive: WhatsApp Voice Calling Now Available For Blackberry 10 Users : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

I love my BBM and promote it everywhere I can. I haven't used What's App and not really planning to. Yet, I must say kudos to them for BlackBerry development. At the same time I wonder...is the motive to dethrone BBM?

To stay ahead BlackBerry, please enable video chat across platforms, not just audio. What's App has a really large company behind it so they might catch up again, but BBM has been rock solid for decades and I still enjoy and trust it.

Are you using What's App and BBM on your devices? Maybe just BBM or just What's App. Do you think What's App is competition for BBM? What are still some advantages of BBM over What's App?

Thanks everyone!
    04-26-15 06:29 AM
    I think BBM advantages were groups and timed messages.
    I think whatsapp doesn't have much at all left to do to make BBM a useless alternative.
    If whatsapp let you sign up without requiring a phone number.. what exactly does BBM have over whatsapp?
    I see whatsapp bringing timed and retract and groups for free, just as they did d's and r's and calling.

BBM "unprotected" isn't private or secure, so that's not an argument. Messages from bbos to bbmx aren't even encrypted properly. Might as well use facebook.

Thats a good question though.. what does BBM have to offer over whatsapp? Why would whatsapp users use BBM? Why would new users choose BBM over.. or even alongside whatsapp?

I'd like to hear opinions

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    04-26-15 08:09 AM
    Without vast financial resources, BBM will find it difficult to stay in competition. Monetizing each of their add on features will not wash well with the public who get everything free of cost on another platform.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 08:16 AM
    I love my BBM and promote it everywhere I can. I haven't used What's App and not really planning to. Yet, I must say kudos to them for BlackBerry development. At the same time I wonder...is the motive to dethrone BBM?
    first, I'm curious. What do you do to promote BBM? I used to promote it heavily, but not anymore.. I've run out of reasons.. people don't care about BBM groups.. calling can be done via Skype, fb, whatsapp etc. Second, you can't be dethroned when you are in last place :P
    To stay ahead BlackBerry, please enable video chat across platforms, not just audio. What's App has a really large company behind it so they might catch up again, but BBM has been rock solid for decades and I still enjoy and trust it.
    Timed and retract are free in snapchat and instagram, respectively. I see whatsapp adding these, like BlackBerry did, but except won't charge for them.
    Are you using What's App and BBM on your devices? Maybe just BBM or just What's App. Do you think What's App is competition for BBM? What are still some advantages of BBM over What's App?
    I am using BBM only... for now.. but every single BBM contact is a whatsapp contact as well. If the phone number wasn't my primary issue, I don't see why I shouldn't switch.. BBM not exactly giving me reasons to stick around.. the size of my potential whatsapp contact list and the fact I know most people use it, are reasons enough to sign up.. Does whatsapp have spam notifications? (don't care about ads, I mean sponsored invite type nonsense. Notifications going off for bs?)

04-26-15 08:21 AM
    Does whatsapp have spam notifications? (don't care about ads, I mean sponsored invite type nonsense. Notifications going off for bs?)

You can still block those invitations, and you won't receive any again!

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582
    Last edited by hannahayek; 04-26-15 at 11:37 AM.
    04-26-15 08:55 AM
    If BBM is at all competing with other apps like WhatsApp or Instagram or Snapchat or etc., I don't see pricing features is a good option. Honestly, I feel BBM is the best. I hate WhatsApp for my own reasons though but BBM is much better. I feel, it's quicker than WhatsApp. I just don't want BBM to change now, new features are obviously welcomed but it shouldn't follow WhatsApp (I am talking about the "online" thing). I think not charging for features and some serious advertising might bring back BBM on top again.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 09:55 AM
    If BBM is at all competing with other apps like WhatsApp or Instagram or Snapchat or etc., I don't see pricing features is a good option. Honestly, I feel BBM is the best. I hate WhatsApp for my own reasons though but BBM is much better. I feel, it's quicker than WhatsApp. I just don't want BBM to change now, new features are obviously welcomed but it shouldn't follow WhatsApp (I am talking about the "online" thing). I think not charging for features and some serious advertising might bring back BBM on top again.

Posted via CB10
    In regards to the online thing, again it should be opt in in added.

I've long called for an "auto away" status, which (if enabled) would set your status to "available" when you are actively using the app and set it to "away" when you haven't used it in X amount of minutes.

Again, if you didn't enable "auto away" everything would remain as is. Your status would be set manually by you (available, busy, away, custom etc)

Also, I feel that if BBM could record video using a method similar to voice notes in a shareable resolution (360p or so), had free timed and retract (also add [unsaved] media retraction), allowed you to opt into "find others" and "find me" via phone number, it would be a viable alternative to snapchat and whatsapp..

I didn't say replace. I said viable alternative. People would actually use it. Why? It would be the only messenger that has all of those features (instagrams retract + fb and whatsapp messaging, calling and address book + snapchats autodestructing) AND covers ios and android but also windows phone and BlackBerry (looking at you snapchat)

04-26-15 10:00 AM
    I dont like the new Chen Pay Options in BBM. One time payment would be ok, but monthly!?? Come on.
    Shop should go away and should be integrated into BlackBerry World.
    Nobody wants the paid options- they discounted the Custom PIN subscription...why? I think everybody knows it. The price was too high and I think they sold just few PINs....

Posted via Q10Bold
    04-26-15 10:13 AM
    I don't think the OP knows that BBM isn't even a top 3 messenger in terms of size of users. It's not the one that needs to be dethroned

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 11:14 AM
    Thank you all for your replies (even you Rello). I'm surprised about the responses. I will try to get back to everyone that asked me some questions too.

@ Rello - I was only taking this from a native app development for a messenger. However, please feel free to list the so-called top three messengers that everyone is on-board with these days.
    04-26-15 04:25 PM
    I have to say that WhatsApp has done more for the BlackBerry platform than their sister products, which is kind of inexplicable to me... but at any rate, what I want is for BlackBerry to add to BBM a paid subscription to call landlines and cellphones, then I can bid farewell to Skype on my Z30. I pay $30 per year to Skype that I'd much rather give to BlackBerry.

Trying to use Skype for voice calls on BB10 drives me mental: I'd give native BB10 Skype a try, but it is unlikely to come, and the Android version of Skype is rickety on Android devices, so no wonder it's not good enough for real-world use on BB10.

WhatsApp (like other social media apps) that require a dedicated client have little use to me, as none of the people I care to communicate with use those apps, so I stick with txt and BBM and email and phone calls and, for the time being, Skype for IM.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 04-26-15 at 05:29 PM.
    04-26-15 04:53 PM
    I still chat it up with my friends. They also know it is still the fastest way to get a hold of me and get a response more quickly. Especially, when the PING! me. So basically, they give it a whirl just because I asked them to check it out. Maybe the word "promotion" was too strong. I'm not giving them money or anything....

first, I'm curious. What do you do to promote BBM? I used to promote it heavily, but not anymore.. I've run out of reasons.. people don't care about BBM groups.. calling can be done via Skype, fb, whatsapp etc. Second, you can't be dethroned when you are in last place :P

Timed and retract are free in snapchat and instagram, respectively. I see whatsapp adding these, like BlackBerry did, but except won't charge for them.

I am using BBM only... for now.. but every single BBM contact is a whatsapp contact as well. If the phone number wasn't my primary issue, I don't see why I shouldn't switch.. BBM not exactly giving me reasons to stick around.. the size of my potential whatsapp contact list and the fact I know most people use it, are reasons enough to sign up.. Does whatsapp have spam notifications? (don't care about ads, I mean sponsored invite type nonsense. Notifications going off for bs?)

04-27-15 03:15 PM
    Thank you all for the responses!

BBM has come a long way and most of still enjoy using it. Sure, it isn't the most popular multi-platform messenger. but it is one app BlackBerry users have known and come to love.
    04-27-15 03:17 PM
    Agreed Kanishk Amin!

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 03:17 PM
    Totally love your ideas! If you are not a BBM beta tester yet, I think you should be and mention these features!

In regards to the online thing, again it should be opt in in added.

I've long called for an "auto away" status, which (if enabled) would set your status to "available" when you are actively using the app and set it to "away" when you haven't used it in X amount of minutes.

Again, if you didn't enable "auto away" everything would remain as is. Your status would be set manually by you (available, busy, away, custom etc)

Also, I feel that if BBM could record video using a method similar to voice notes in a shareable resolution (360p or so), had free timed and retract (also add [unsaved] media retraction), allowed you to opt into "find others" and "find me" via phone number, it would be a viable alternative to snapchat and whatsapp..

I didn't say replace. I said viable alternative. People would actually use it. Why? It would be the only messenger that has all of those features (instagrams retract + fb and whatsapp messaging, calling and address book + snapchats autodestructing) AND covers ios and android but also windows phone and BlackBerry (looking at you snapchat)

04-27-15 03:21 PM
    I hear ya Q10Bold. I also think that monthly is a bit much and a one time payment would be better suited. Thanks!

I dont like the new Chen Pay Options in BBM. One time payment would be ok, but monthly!?? Come on.
    Shop should go away and should be integrated into BlackBerry World.
    Nobody wants the paid options- they discounted the Custom PIN subscription...why? I think everybody knows it. The price was too high and I think they sold just few PINs....

Posted via Q10Bold
    04-27-15 03:22 PM
    Thank you all for your replies (even you Rello). I'm surprised about the responses. I will try to get back to everyone that asked me some questions too.

@ Rello - I was only taking this from a native app development for a messenger. However, please feel free to list the so-called top three messengers that everyone is on-board with these days.
    Sorry. Wasn't trying to be rude or anything lol. Just your original post wasn't clear on it being a discussion about just native messengers on BB10. Again I apologize

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 03:52 PM
    No worries. I took you the wrong way and later figured I probably needed to clarify. I apologize as well! :-)
    Rello likes this.
    04-27-15 09:26 PM