How does BBM compare to Signal in terms of encryption and security? Could someone outline some features of BBM: for instance is there voice and video calling capabilities? WhatsApp is problematic to me. What about SMS verification to start functionality of BBM is that a requirement as it is for WhatsApp?
    01-21-17 10:41 AM
    How does BBM compare to Signal in terms of encryption and security? Could someone outline some features of BBM: for instance is there voice and video calling capabilities? WhatsApp is problematic to me. What about SMS verification to start functionality of BBM is that a requirement as it is for WhatsApp?
    Regular BBM is definitely not recommended for encryption. You'll want BBM Enterprise (on iOS and Android) or BBM Protected (on BlackBerry 10). See also their website and the various security notes they publish there.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 08:34 AM
    BBM does not require SMS to verify (although it does offer an option to create an account using your phone number). Down the road, if you choose to get BBM Enterprise/Protected, your phone number based account will not work and you will need to make an email based account anyway.

Yes, BBM has voice and video capabilities. All platforms can voice call each other, but for video calls BB10 can call BB10 only, while android and iOS can video call each other. No BB10 to Android/iOS video yet.

As far as Signal/Whatsapp go - both upload your contact lists to their respective services dozens of times a day. The difference lies in how Whatsapp/Facebook uses all that info.

BBM also accesses your contact list (comparing email addresses in your contact list with BBIDs on the server to see who else has BBM). However, with BBM Enterprise (Android and maybe iOS?) there is an option to prevent BBM from adding to or accessing your contacts.

As far as I can tell, Threema is a great alternative to BBM Enterprise. Its far cheaper for one thing (one time purchase vs yearly subscription), and it requires zero user information to run - no email, no phone numbers. It uses a PIN similar to BBM, but that PIN is generated completely randomly during the install. Users are authenticated in person using QR Code.
    CrackPriv likes this.
    01-22-17 08:56 AM
    BBM Protected User Guide http://help.blackberry.com/en/bbm-pr...r-Guide-en.pdf

BBM Protected Security Note: http://help.blackberry.com/en/bbm-pr...ty-Note-en.pdf

And for comparison, here is the standard BBM security note: http://help.blackberry.com/en/bbm-se...0397548-en.pdf
    01-22-17 09:13 AM
    Well when choosing a chat app I guess the most important thing is to know how usable it is and to most people it depends on how many people are using it. If there is nobody using it you will struggle to use it no matter how good the app is. A quick look at Google play shows the number of downloads here they are ;

WhatsApp = 1 billion downloads
    BBM = 100 million downloads
    Threema = 1 million downloads
    Signal = 1 million downloads

So if you complain that there are no contacts using BBM you might as well not bother considering Threema and Signal
    01-25-17 11:37 AM
    Myself much more dependable on ChatWing as a web based chat app. Then I would switch onto another chat app if ChatWing falls to meet my requirements.
    10-05-17 08:49 AM
    Myself much more dependable on ChatWing as a web based chat app. Then I would switch onto another chat app if ChatWing falls to meet my requirements.
    Did anyone switch onto chatwing yet?
    macklearn likes this.
    10-19-17 11:37 AM
    Use THREEMA ! It is the best. Read here: threema.ch You can download for Android in the Google Playstore or for BlackBerry 10 the version on the Amazon Appstore. Download the plugins ONLY In-App! -I use it since some years, it is always getting better.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 06:28 PM
    10-26-17 06:35 PM
    I already did this @Milcacious. It's much reliable and supportable. Upto 1000 people can chat using ChatWing chat app. 24 hours instant service. And also the cost of using ChatWing is really low. I am comfortable using Chatwing chat app.
    Milcacious likes this.
    11-14-17 07:15 PM
    Thank you so much for the mention here. ChatWing is really great. Don't need to say anything more about ChatWing. Much reliable and give effecitve service when needed. Happy to get this one.
    01-01-18 08:37 PM