BlackBerry Brings It: The Hot Dog Emoji | Inside BlackBerry
    So BlackBerry wrote a blog about how they are awesome for being the first to offer a 'hotdog emoji'. Unfortunately they forget to mention that the BlackBerry emoticons are not emoji at all, they are not universal and can only be seen in certain BlackBerry apps/devices.

Now I can totally like a good news story, and I thought the underlying cause was fun, they are taking advantage of an existing movement. The article has also been written with a good sense of humour, Mathew Talbot seems like a nice guy.

But why would you do a story on emojis and your love of them, when your devices cannot even display that 'wonderful universal' emoji set at all? It just confuses me.

Channel: C0007CC89 | CB10 signed.
    08-06-14 12:28 PM
    Really, who cares about emoji? Are we 14? Good for them. LOL
    dlrogers81, moegh and BCITMike like this.
    08-06-14 12:31 PM
    I'm not really interested in emojis either way. It is just that I sometimes cannot understand what BlackBerry hopes to achieve with such promotions.

If anything they should have said "we are bringing full emoji support and adding a hotdog to BBM." That would have made sense in the context of the article. Or just say "screw emojis, BBM smilies are better we now have a hotdog". Now they just mixed up two messages again.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-06-14 12:40 PM
    I'm not really interested in emojis either way. It is just that I sometimes cannot understand what BlackBerry hopes to achieve with such promotions.

If anything they should have said "we are bringing full emoji support and adding a hotdog to BBM." That would have made sense in the context of the article. Or just say "screw emojis, BBM smilies are better we now have a hotdog". Now they just mixed up two messages again.

I agree with you! I think bringing forth a message like that is stupid.
    Emojis don't sell a messaging app.
    08-06-14 12:45 PM
    BlackBerry Brings It: The Hot Dog Emoji | Inside BlackBerry
    So BlackBerry wrote a blog about how they are awesome for being the first to offer a 'hotdog emoji'. Unfortunately they forget to mention that the BlackBerry emoticons are not emoji at all, they are not universal and can only be seen in certain BlackBerry apps/devices.

Now I can totally like a good news story, and I thought the underlying cause was fun, they are taking advantage of an existing movement. The article has also been written with a good sense of humour, Mathew Talbot seems like a nice guy.

But why would you do a story on emojis and your love of them, when your devices cannot even display that 'wonderful universal' emoji set at all? It just confuses me.

How are they not emoji by definition of emoji?

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 03:10 PM
    tools not toys! wahoo
    08-06-14 05:14 PM
    Really, who cares about emoji? Are we 14? Good for them. LOL
    Well judging by your avatar I'm going to say your not. But 14 years old humans do exist and relish in their emoji sharing. I also have some contacts on different platforms who send me emojis which I'm unable to view due to poor emoji support on BlackBerry 10.
    08-06-14 05:36 PM
    I agree, I don't necessarily care for emojis but if 14 year olds care and that helps sell more BlackBerries then it would just be foolish to ignore that market.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 06:15 PM
    I don't think you know what Emoji refers to, Mike. At least it is not just a definition for animated emoticons.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji
    Emoji refers to a set of specific emoticons that were originally used in Japan. But they have since been standardized (are now part of the Unicode text standard) and that means they can be supported universally.
    They are not typed by using ": )" and then replaced with an image, they are characters themselves.
    That is why for example they can show (and can be typed) on Desktops, iOS, Android and Windows mobile. They support this character set (either through keyboard shortcuts or special Emoji keyboards).
    BB10 does not support this character set. For us any Emoji sent just shows as a blank rectangle. They only support the BBM emoticon set, and none of them are universal (other platforms either see text-based smileys or their native alternative when we send them something).
    How are they not emoji by definition of emoji?
    That's why I figured it was a dumb move by BlackBerry to make it seem like they actually 'created' a hotdog Emoji (that is the demand they spoke of), when all they really did was add one emoticon to the BBM app.
    Hell as long as we're on the subject, BB10 as an OS doesn't even support all of the new BBM emoticons, half of them just show up as text in the Hub/Instant previews!

Until BB10 (if ever) supports the Emoji character set they should stay very far from mentioning anything like it, or they will just send an inaccurate message, like with this blog.

Last edited by MrGlenn; 08-07-14 at 04:27 AM.
    08-07-14 03:53 AM
    I agree with you! I think bringing forth a message like that is stupid.
    Emojis don't sell a messaging app.
    ...as much as I hate to say it my friend switched back to ios cause it has universal emojis and BB10 doesnt.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    08-07-14 05:42 AM
    I don't think you know what Emoji refers to, Mike. At least it is not just a definition for animated emoticons.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji
    Emoji refers to a set of specific emoticons that were originally used in Japan. But they have since been standardized (are now part of the Unicode text standard) and that means they can be supported universally.
    They are not typed by using ": )" and then replaced with an image, they are characters themselves.
    That is why for example they can show (and can be typed) on Desktops, iOS, Android and Windows mobile. They support this character set (either through keyboard shortcuts or special Emoji keyboards).
    BB10 does not support this character set. For us any Emoji sent just shows as a blank rectangle. They only support the BBM emoticon set, and none of them are universal (other platforms either see text-based smileys or their native alternative when we send them something).
    That's why I figured it was a dumb move by BlackBerry to make it seem like they actually 'created' a hotdog Emoji (that is the demand they spoke of), when all they really did was add one emoticon to the BBM app.
    Hell as long as we're on the subject, BB10 as an OS doesn't even support all of the new BBM emoticons, half of them just show up as text in the Hub/Instant previews!

Until BB10 (if ever) supports the Emoji character set they should stay very far from mentioning anything like it, or they will just send an inaccurate message, like with this blog.

I don't care for emoji's and have no personal experience, but I don't think you can be so pedantic over the use of emoji in BlackBerry's context. When I read the wikipedia site, it basically tells me its a generic term, and there is no RFC standard for Emoji's, its just a free-for-all vendor implementation. Only in the last few years have there been official additions to Unicode.

"Originally meaning pictograph, the word emoji literally means "picture" (e) + "character" (moji)"
    "Although originally only available in Japan, some emoji character sets have been incorporated into Unicode"

These two sentences imply that an emoji can be an emoji, even without being incorporated into Unicode.

If BlackBerry called them "unicode emoji's", then I would agree with you. But the term is too general and not an explicit standard. At least are the BlackBerry 'emoji's' "drawn on a 12�12 pixel grid"?
    08-07-14 08:17 PM