Dear Crackberrians;

I just read from my contact's status on FB that his Blackberry ID was hacked and hijacked.

It was then used by the hacker to initiate BBM chat to his BBM contacts asking help to transfer money urgently stating that he is in the middle of something important and unable to do the transaction right now.

This is very dangerous as BBM chat can be quite personal and we usually view the chat as authentic.

We do not know how the hacker obtained his BB ID password and I guess the hacker activated his BBM on other blackberry devices which are quite possible with all BBM contacts restored and ready for chat.
    02-04-14 11:08 AM
    I am going to need a link to some harder evidence than your buddy's FB status.

The hacker would need to hack his BBID linked email account, and then initiate a reset of the BBID (using the link in the original email used when it was set up/device itself/ or this link https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/...coverpassword/)
    kbz1960 and CerveloJohn like this.
    02-04-14 11:14 AM
    Pretty much impossible to hack a BlackberryID, it's like stealing a gun from a cop.
    I bet someone knows his password, Btw his PIN should change if it's true, since he's logged in from another BlackBerry.

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.1925
    bigbikeguy and Carjackd like this.
    02-04-14 11:17 AM
    I call bull **** on this.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    bigbikeguy, Carjackd and go1ndr like this.
    02-04-14 11:20 AM
    The FB status seems legitimate to me with his friends confirming that they do get the chat asking for money transfer assistance. It's a private FB status from real life person, asking his FB contacts to disregard his BBM chat because it's not from him anymore. I

It's not Blackberry's fault, in my opinion, most people choose their password sloppily. and click link from spam emails that direct to fake website. It's possible. Furthermore, Email and BB ID might have the very same password. So the hacker can just trial and error on BB device and bingo.

We heard and witnessed FB hacked together with email account all the time. It's not even surprising anymore. But maybe if the con is through BBM chat, we might not be too wary since it's rarely happened.

I am asking for increase carefulness so as not to fall to any con scenario. Re-check by calling phone number if in doubt. Doubt is good for us.

This has nothing to do with device. This is human error / loophole.
    Last edited by wyrdfool; 02-04-14 at 11:40 AM.
    02-04-14 11:27 AM
    Btw his PIN should change if it's true, since he's logged in from another BlackBerry.
    I don't think anybody ever confirm / check PIN in a BBM Chat.
    I just switch from Z10 to Z30. None of my contacts mention / notice my PIN change.
    02-04-14 11:30 AM
    I call bull **** on this.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    I second it!!

Posted via CB10
    bigbikeguy likes this.
    02-04-14 11:33 AM
    OP, if you updated or made a device switch, and it went smoothly, no one should notice that your PIN changed. Very few people pay attention to that.

Welp, this thread can be closed.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-04-14 11:36 AM
    I happen to have two BlackBerry devices, and when i switch from one to the other i had to re-log in every time, cause blackberry ID can only be used in one device at a time, so if this is true, than your buddy should have notice that someone else was login in with his account, and in order for that to happend, the hacker must of retrieve an email or maybe he just saw his username and password while he was typing it, other wise is imposible.
    02-04-14 11:41 AM
    Dude even if this is true, all he has to do is change his BB ID password and log in, all his contacts will be retrieved from the hackers BBM since he will be no longer able to log in with that ID.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    02-04-14 11:44 AM
    I happen to have two BlackBerry devices, and when i switch from one to the other i had to re-log in every time, cause blackberry ID can only be used in one device at a time, so if this is true, than your buddy should have notice that someone else was login in with his account, and in order for that to happend, the hacker must of retrieve an email or maybe he just saw his username and password while he was typing it, other wise is imposible.
    I also have multiple BB device. True if you login to new BB device, the old device BBM is deactivated from that BB ID. That's why my FB contact lost his BB ID, the password might have been changed already by hacker. And some people have same password for email and BB ID , so both have been hacked. Probably.

I am not very close to this FB Contact. So I won't ask him details, but I am sure it's authentic. Because it's a private status warning his contacts because he no longer have control of his BBM.
    02-04-14 11:46 AM
    Total bs, but nice try though...

troll on..
    02-04-14 11:53 AM
    Is it possible for you to post a screen shot of the post?
    02-04-14 12:53 PM
    Is it possible for you to post a screen shot of the post?
    I can, but prefer not to because of people's name on it.
    Furthermore it is in Indonesian language.

Look, I am not attacking BB security.
    It's just sometime people can be tricked into giving out personal information and password. It's a human error. Not device error.
    I am asking people to be wary if your contact suddenly ask you to help transfer money. Better safe than sorry. Re-check by calling phone number.
    02-04-14 01:10 PM
    OP - YOU ARE EITHER A TROLL OR YOUR 'FRIEND' IS TROLLING. End of story. BBIDs are tied to hardware on all BB devices and even on other devices BBID can only be activated on one device at a time - and that requires the password. Your friend would immediately get an email that the BBID has been moved to another device. As soon as he clicked back on his BBM it would re-log him in.

You sound like the joker who was complaining today about the virus on his PB. Mods really need to do a better job of closing down some of these ridiculous posts. Honestly a 'friend' of mine warned me to keep Smarties away from my kids today because snorting them will give you brain maggots or some such nonsense.

"It's on the internet, so it must be true..."
    02-04-14 01:21 PM
    I don't know if this is true or not, but the scenario is credible. If someone gets your BBID and associated password they could transfer that BBID to another BlackBerry or now Android or iPhone. While it is true that you would notice if you launched an application the required you to be logged in to your BBID, that might not happen until the damage was done.

Always use strong, unique passwords.
    wyrdfool likes this.
    02-04-14 01:40 PM
    I also have multiple BB device. True if you login to new BB device, the old device BBM is deactivated from that BB ID. That's why my FB contact lost his BB ID, the password might have been changed already by hacker. And some people have same password for email and BB ID , so both have been hacked. Probably.

I am not very close to this FB Contact. So I won't ask him details, but I am sure it's authentic. Because it's a private status warning his contacts because he no longer have control of his BBM.
    Well than he is screwed, what I suggest him to do is to make another BBID, retrieve his contacts from the backup using link, then when he gets all of his contacts back he can send a BC telling them to delete the other account, much better than just posting it on Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    wyrdfool likes this.
    02-04-14 01:42 PM
    BBIDs are tied to hardware on all BB devices and even on other devices BBID can only be activated on one device at a time - and that requires the password. Your friend would immediately get an email that the BBID has been moved to another device. As soon as he clicked back on his BBM it would re-log him in. "
    Okay,
    how about if the email is hacked first. The hacker changed the password immediately.
    Then the hacker try the email address on a blackberry device as BB ID. Unfortunately that BB ID has the same password as the email.
    After he got in the BB ID and BBM, again the hacker changed the password of the BB ID.
    Thus locking out the original owner.
    Then he initiated chat to all restored BBM contacts from BB server, posing as BBID owner.

As I said. It's not the device error. it's the human error.
    Last edited by wyrdfool; 02-04-14 at 02:03 PM.
    02-04-14 01:45 PM
    Well than he is screwed, what I suggest him to do is to make another BBID, retrieve his contacts from the backup using link, then when he gets all of his contacts back he can send a BC telling them to delete the other account, much better than just posting it on Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    BINGO!!!
    Somebody get it.

Though, I am not sure that we can restore backup from different BBID. I never tried it before.
    Last edited by wyrdfool; 02-04-14 at 02:00 PM.
    02-04-14 01:47 PM
    Lol guys it's possible, not hacked I'll say tho, maybe compromised, and it has to be due to a weak email password, thus leading to a bbid password reset using the compromised email,

Funny enough, thousands of yahoo email accounts were compromised a couple days ago during a cyber attack

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    wyrdfool likes this.
    02-04-14 01:48 PM
    I don't know if this is true or not, but the scenario is credible. If someone gets your BBID and associated password they could transfer that BBID to another BlackBerry or now Android or iPhone. While it is true that you would notice if you launched an application the required you to be logged in to your BBID, that might not happen until the damage was done.

Always use strong, unique passwords.
    Yes. Please don't use the same password for email and BB ID.
    02-04-14 01:49 PM
    Yes. Please don't use the same password for email and BB ID.

This line would have made an excellent title for your thread btw...
    raino, Omnitech and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-04-14 02:47 PM
    BINGO!!!
    Somebody get it.

Though, I am not sure that we can restore backup from different BBID. I never tried it before.
    No, but you can restore from the backup you save in the computer, is not mandatory o login in orde to use bb link
    02-04-14 03:57 PM
    All to get this one guy's BBID to send a request to wire funds to his particular contacts? Sorry. No. I've gone from a healthy skepticism to an absolute no. Sending out a mass email virus or a mass email seeking help to get an African prince back home is far different than the time and energy necessary to uncover one persons email and BBID account.

But, ok. If anyone else want to play into this feel free. You should know however that it is well established that engaging in hacking fantasies has led to serious mental disorders based on John Hopkins latest study. SO please be careful posting in this thread.
    02-04-14 04:08 PM
    I don't think anybody ever confirm / check PIN in a BBM Chat.
    I just switch from Z10 to Z30. None of my contacts mention / notice my PIN change.
    My pin changed from 27***** to 24***** once I signed in from another BlackBerry.
    If his pin doesn't change, then again it's impossible, only if his phone itself was stolen.

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.1925
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-04-14 05:09 PM
32 12