2-3 times a day a "sponsored ad" shows up on the BBM Chats tab. This is the Android version of the app.

I'm coming from a Z30 and am testing out another device. What is absolutely astonishing about the frequency of the ads showing up in the chat history is:

A) People buying the DTEK50/Priv now have to put up with ads in it?
    B) If not due to a second unrestricted version of BBM, why should anyone else install this? The other chat clients on the market that all have native Android clients do not have frequent ads popping up in the list of conversations.

SMH.
    08-01-16 04:14 PM
    Would you be willing to pay the 'No Ads' subscription for BBM? That would solve your problem, but at a price of a few bucks a year if I am not mistaken.

The difference with other instant messengers is that the other apps can make money from the metadata generated by its users. In the case of WhatsApp, the metadata there can be linked to the metadata of Facebook. This allows for a more comprehensive identity profile of their users, which is very valuable to them. This is why WhatsApp won't show ads, since they will eventually generate their money in ways that users won't notice (in the beginning).

Edit: two-three times a day is quite a lot though. They should do less ads per day, if you ask me...
    08-01-16 04:28 PM
    No, I'm not willing to pay. And in fact, if you're a minority player trying to grow your share, the correct course of action is at the most, a 1-time ad removal subscription of a single dollar like regular android apps like Whatsapp had, not an annual one of $20 or whatever it is when there isn't even cross-platform video between BB10 and the others. Also, at this point in time when many apps are reaching feature parity and maturity, it's going to become increasingly hard to capture users. There is nothing that BBM offers that others don't already offer or will offer soon and it's already known in the more tech-savvy areas of the community that the keys were shared with the RCMP and other agencies, so there isn't even a pretense to privacy.

What I am communicating here is someone who has never owned a BB device before, being asked to install BBM by someone else. They are curious about it, and they see it has ads and that they don't really have any other people on it. They will just advise whomever to use Viber or something else of that nature. Viber makes most of its money by using a model where you pay for long distance phone calls to land and cellular lines. And believe it or not, I actually paid when my cousin was visiting last year. It was a fair rate and worked well.

I don't think they chose the right course of action here, but I'm preaching to the choir.
    08-01-16 05:23 PM
    If it was less than $10 for the year I would pay... but a couple $ monthly is somewhat crazy.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 06:14 PM
    No, I'm not willing to pay. And in fact, if you're a minority player trying to grow your share, the correct course of action is at the most, a 1-time ad removal subscription of a single dollar like regular android apps like Whatsapp had, not an annual one of $20 or whatever it is when there isn't even cross-platform video between BB10 and the others. Also, at this point in time when many apps are reaching feature parity and maturity, it's going to become increasingly hard to capture users. There is nothing that BBM offers that others don't already offer or will offer soon and it's already known in the more tech-savvy areas of the community that the keys were shared with the RCMP and other agencies, so there isn't even a pretense to privacy.

What I am communicating here is someone who has never owned a BB device before, being asked to install BBM by someone else. They are curious about it, and they see it has ads and that they don't really have any other people on it. They will just advise whomever to use Viber or something else of that nature. Viber makes most of its money by using a model where you pay for long distance phone calls to land and cellular lines. And believe it or not, I actually paid when my cousin was visiting last year. It was a fair rate and worked well.

I don't think they chose the right course of action here, but I'm preaching to the choir.
    Oh don't get me wrong, you raise many valid points. I think I have a different attitude, in that I rather pay with money than with my data. And it is okay to think differently about this. Regarding the sharing of keys with the RCMP, yes I am aware of that. That is why I took an additional subscription of BBM Protected, which comes down to something of 25 USD a year. This adds another layer of encryption and coincidentally, it also disables ads.

That said, I do agree with your final statement. For the majority of mobile users... BlackBerry's course with BBM is not understandable. I am not sure frequent ads will be tolerated by most.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 12:10 AM
    Anyone know how to get ad free sub via Google play card? I don't want to link my credit card with "the Google" but even though I have a big play credit from play prepaid cards it won't let me take a subscription?

my first foray into droidlandia
    08-10-16 08:38 PM
    What? Who cares if your card is registered with Google? Do you think Page and Brin will try to purchase male enhancement pills using your card?
    08-13-16 07:37 PM
    What? Who cares if your card is registered with Google? Do you think Page and Brin will try to purchase male enhancement pills using your card?
    Why are you on these forums spreading ignorance? Account takeovers, hacks and my individual preference are the reason I ask. I didn't ask for troll spam. I made a comment in that the current approach to subscription is lacking and hoping there was a work around.

my first foray into droidlandia
    08-13-16 11:27 PM
    When I got my Priv a few weeks ago I had zero ads. Still had zero ads until today, when I switched to my old BBID. Instead ads! What the heck?!

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-13-16 11:37 PM
    I agree with the OP. I understand the need for ads for Android and iphones, but I think BBM should be ad free for the PRIV and DTEK50. It's quite an eye sore coming from BB10 BBM.
    08-14-16 12:12 AM
    Bbm should not have ads, it just shouldn't.

Via Passport 
    08-19-16 04:41 PM
    Think we should all write to Matthew Talbot in an effort to try and make him review the advertisement policy in BBM.... this is definitely ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    08-20-16 01:00 AM
    @talbot_mcj

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 02:42 AM
    Being bombarded with sponsored BBM ads-img_20160820_004426.png

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 02:44 AM
    Nice going! I commented at his blog post at the BlackBerry Blogs. Not sure whether my comment will be approved.

Unfortunately I quit Twitter a while ago... so cannot send him a Tweet.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 04:11 AM
    They should definitely make the BlackBerry version of BBM (for android) free without any doubts. And like they are doing with the HUB, I am sure they can differentiate between the android versions on other phones and on BlackBerry.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    08-20-16 04:17 AM
    They should definitely make the BlackBerry version of BBM (for android) free without any doubts. And like they are doing with the HUB, I am sure they can differentiate between the android versions on other phones and on BlackBerry.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Yes, it is really stupid that BlackBerry Androids have ads in their BBM....

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 05:04 AM
    Yes, it is really stupid that BlackBerry Androids have ads in their BBM....

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    08-20-16 01:06 PM
    I wanted to push for my org to allow BBM (they have always blocked it on the BES) but there is no way it would ever be allowed now if it comes with ads about hooking up, repairing credit, cancer causing foods, photogenic animals and other low-grade garbage ads that aren't actually click-throughs.

It is also peculiar that there were executives at BlackBerry that had a meeting, and decided that it was a good idea that yes, you can buy the hardware device with the logo on it, but you'll still get ads anyway. I see them sitting at the table, mouths opening and closing so they can breathe and agreeing to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It's very hard to change a corporate culture.
    08-21-16 10:07 AM
    Well, the latest news concerning WhatsApp is interesting. In the future, WhatsApp users can be directly messaged by any company, either for service or just for ads. My guess is, it will be a combination and WhatsApp will probably be strict and smart about it. If BBM adjusts its advertisements within BBM, maybe they can profit from users who are not happy with the future changes in WhatsApp..

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 01:33 PM
    Where is BBM Video: BB10 to Android or iOS?!

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    08-25-16 03:40 PM
    Where is BBM Video: BB10 to Android or iOS?!

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    Good question. Few weeks ago, I was quite optimistic about it all. Now? I realise I have been fooled again by BlackBerry. Guess the fault is my own, but it still is damn annoying.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 04:14 PM