Yes, there is issue. It is because iOS13 has some new rules about how IM apps work in background. Untill April 2020 ALL apps would have to implement this way of functionality on iOS13. BBMe did it already, and hence it works differently now. Viber , WhatsApp and rest of IM apps have untill April to also play by new iOS13 rules. So, on BBMe at this moment, Senders don't receive Delivery reports unless iOS13 user who received message enters app (click on notification or click on app icon).
    On the other hand, iOS13 user has to enter app, and JUST THEN, messages start to arrive and load one by one....
    I talked to BBMe chief developer, they will look on how to solve this problem, but it is also iOS13 side problem, so they would maybe have to also try to fix this issue.
    I cannot imagine that Viber and WhatsApp will allow their apps to function this way....also iOS I think will not allow IM apps to fuction wrongly... it is in interest of both IM apps like Viber WhatsApp BBMe etc, and also iOS to solve this....
    So, someone has to fix this...by April....
    There is info from BBMe people that they are looking into this problem...
    Here is article about this issue.

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...n-of-voip-apps
    01-20-20 03:33 AM
    Here's hoping for a fix soon! Thanks for the info Psiho.
    01-20-20 04:45 AM
    Why was it working ok last week before the latest BBMe update?

Why has BBMe struggled on and off with iOS even prior to the new rules?

Why do other IMs seem to have this working fine?
    01-20-20 07:45 AM

I’m wondering this also now that you’ve mentioned it.

Since production release publicly available, I’ve been running iOS 13 and I’ve been running iOS 13.3 since released over 30 days ago. I wasn’t having any problems with BBMe until it received update last week.
    01-20-20 08:00 AM
    Slack and WhatsApp do not have this problem. I get more than a hundred notifications a day from both. I understand the changes made in 13, but there is something much more fundamental here.

This has been a problem with BBM since the first time i tried it, before iOS13.
    01-20-20 08:08 AM

Conite read my post in detail. All IM apps will have to implement this 'rule' that iOS13.3 requires.
    Bbme did it first. Viber whats and rest have time to do it by April.
    Pay attention, don't immideately go to negativity
    01-20-20 08:22 AM
    Maybe they tried to comply with the April 2020 requirements... and just muffed it?

I wonder if the iOS version is even viable at this point. Since the change early last year, there have only been 30 reviews and those are hit and miss.
    John Albert likes this.
    01-20-20 08:22 AM
    Slack and WhatsApp do not have this problem. I get more than a hundred notifications a day from both. I understand the changes made in 13, but there is something much more fundamental here.

This has been a problem with BBM since the first time i tried it, before iOS13.
    Its because only BBMe so far implemented this rule required by iOS13. Rest app will have to do it by April.
    01-20-20 08:23 AM
    I’m wondering this also now that you’ve mentioned it.

Since production release publicly available, I’ve been running iOS 13 and I’ve been running iOS 13.3 since released over 30 days ago. I wasn’t having any problems with BBMe until it received update last week.
    Make someone send you BBMe message. It will arrive to you, but sender will not receive Delivery report...untill you enter BBMe app or click on notification...
    Try it
    For sure IM apps or iOS will have to fix this issue
    01-20-20 08:25 AM
    Its because only BBMe so far implemented this rule required by iOS13. Rest app will have to do it by April.
    First of all this new rule is only wrt to VoIP. All IM apps have always supposed to have worked this way for async messages (IM or text style messages) since like iPhone 4 or something.

It’s not that I’m failing to get VoIP call notifications, I’m failing to get any message notifications.

The way all other messaging apps have always worked (including WhatsApp) is that you send your app an empty hidden notification over the one persistent channel that the OS manages. And then in the handler for the empty message you schedule a block to get the actual content (securely). I really don’t think BBM has ever done this pattern correctly.
    01-20-20 08:29 AM
    Make someone send you BBMe message. It will arrive to you, but sender will not receive Delivery report...untill you enter BBMe app or click on notification...
    Try it
    For sure IM apps or iOS will have to fix this issue
    Here is good news guys!!!
    Next update will solve this!
    Attached Thumbnails BBMe iOS13 problem explanation-427016.jpg  
    01-20-20 08:32 AM
    [citation needed]
    01-20-20 08:35 AM
    Maybe they tried to comply with the April 2020 requirements... and just muffed it?

I wonder if the iOS version is even viable at this point. Since the change early last year, there have only been 30 reviews and those are hit and miss.
    That’s not so good
    01-20-20 08:44 AM

I think I know what happened now. Short version: I think They depended on the previous 3rd party VoIP mechanism for *all* messages. That was never going to be reliable if used in that way and is a waste of battery. But it’s consistent with the behavior I’ve observed since the app first came out for iOS.

Now that VoIP rules have also changed they are forced to do it the right way for the basic text/pic messaging and they apparently didnt get it right this first time. Hopefully their next version will be correct.

The good news is that when they get it right this pattern is much more reliable and uses much less energy.
    01-20-20 08:52 AM
    I think I know what happened now. Short version: I think They depended on the previous 3rd party VoIP mechanism for *all* messages. That was never going to be reliable if used in that way and is a waste of battery. But it’s consistent with the behavior I’ve observed since the app first came out for iOS.

Now that VoIP rules have also changed they are forced to do it the right way for the basic text/pic messaging and they apparently didnt get it right this first time. Hopefully their next version will be correct.

The good news is that when they get it right this pattern is much more reliable and uses much less energy.
    Good view! Thanks!
    Most important is that it will be fixed!
    01-20-20 08:55 AM

Yeah I know when I had gotten a few Apple friends to try BBM... it really killed their battery life.

Even now there is a warning and it's locations usage and battery life under the product description....
    01-20-20 09:11 AM
    Yeah I know when I had gotten a few Apple friends to try BBM... it really killed their battery life.

Even now there is a warning and it's locations usage and battery life under the product description....
    Yeah the good news is this all makes sense now and I could explain the fix to them in 30 min. Hopefully someone there will get it right.

I had a similar conversation with the BB10 team once at a BBJam. Because their solution for 3rd party IM products was also inefficient and not always reliable (like if your app was force closed because the user opened 8 other apps for example)
    Ben xfg likes this.
    01-20-20 09:15 AM
    I talked to BBMe chief developer
    If you really do have the main developers contact info, I suggest you try to connect him with @app_Developer so they can learn from each other and code the app properly. This would be a great help to everyone.

I think I know what happened
    01-20-20 09:26 AM
    So pretty much like the SMS/call log restriction by Google that crippled the Hub?
    01-20-20 09:27 AM
    If you really do have the main developers contact info, I suggest you try to connect him with @app_Developer so they can learn from each other and code the app properly. This would be a great help to everyone.
    Thos was response for my problem report via blackberry site for bbme.
    Looks like they for sure know problem and will fix it.
    01-20-20 09:29 AM
    So pretty much like the SMS/call log restriction by Google that crippled the Hub?
    No idea Ben
    01-20-20 09:30 AM
    App_developer can contact me and I will try to connect them, my pin is
    EF01DE45
    01-20-20 09:31 AM
    App_developer can contact me and I will try to connect them, my pin is
    EF01DE45
    Invite sent. I used to teach a class on this and I actually taught much of the Good team who are now at BB.
    01-20-20 10:42 AM
    Invite sent. I used to teach a class on this and I actually taught much of the Good team who are now at BB.
    Hmm can you send me again? Or write me your pin, I accepted but nothing happened?
    01-20-20 10:47 AM
    Looking at the ratings of the Good/BlackBerry apps.... not sure I'd admit that.

I assume that iOS isn't a priority for BlackBerry or Good - at least in the area of offering additional apps.
    01-20-20 11:32 AM
28 12