Home CrackBerry Q&A > General BBM Chat

Which BBMC versions are compatible with BBM Enterprise?

Asked: Dec 02 2020 | 4:38 am EST 1618 Views 11 Answers

So my wife is desperate to find a messenger platform to use on her Bold 9900 to chat with her Android loving family back home in the ole US of A. She really had trouble with BBM 6.2.something trying to connect to BBM enterprise with her brother on his Android phone. It would connect but then say "waiting for passcode" and things about "protected plus" which never resolved its self on either the BBME side or the BBMC side of things. Sooo we updated it to the latest BBMC on blackberry world (BBM 8.something) and it is horrible! It finally works (though now needs a BBID to log in which isn’t a problem in its self I suppose) with the brothers BBME, but the Bold's battery has gone from lasting a couple of days to lasting about half a day from full charge!!!!! This sadly makes it a bit un-usable. I assume this is because BBM8 wasn't really optimised for Blackberry OS7? Its full of "Channels" and stuff, which don't seem to work now anyway but I assume are using up lots of CPU time. Sooooo the thing finally comes full circle. Does anyone know the earliest BBMC that will work with BBME on android? Or a way to help the Bold cope with the sloppy mess that seems to be BBMC8?

More Answers

Dec 02 2020 | 7:30 am EST Dunt Dunt Dunt

So my wife is desperate to find a messenger platform to use on her Bold 9900 to chat with her Android loving family back home in the ole US of A. She really had trouble with BBM 6.2.something trying to connect to BBM enterprise with her brother on his Android phone. It would connect but then say "waiting for passcode" and things about "protected plus" which never resolved its self on either the BBME side or the BBMC side of things. Sooo we updated it to the latest BBMC on blackberry world (BBM 8.something) and it is horrible! It finally works (though now needs a BBID to log in which isn’t a problem in its self I suppose) with the brothers BBME, but the Bold's battery has gone from lasting a couple of days to lasting about half a day from full charge!!!!! This sadly makes it a bit un-usable. I assume this is because BBM8 wasn't really optimised for Blackberry OS7? Its full of "Channels" and stuff, which don't seem to work now anyway but I assume are using up lots of CPU time. Sooooo the thing finally comes full circle. Does anyone know the earliest BBMC that will work with BBME on android? Or a way to help the Bold cope with the sloppy mess that seems to be BBMC8?
It's past time you upgraded your wife's phone..... and I don't mean finally moving on to BB10 at this point.

There is a reason that BBM for BBOS has a 2-1/2 Star rating now, it hasn't been updated in years and doesn't work well with other versions of BBM anymore. Older versions of BBM, won't work. BBOS is EOL, so they never bothered to update the client to remove all the channels stuff.

But the newer Android version of BBMe isn't doing much better. Sorry but BlackBerry really isn't in the messenger business anymore.

Dec 02 2020 | 10:44 am EST Chuck Finley69

The simplest of Android/iOS phones does exactly what you want using WhatsApp or Telegram, for example, simple and easy..

Dec 02 2020 | 8:22 pm EST Ben xfg

I had a friend with pretty much the identical experience - they ended up uninstalling BBM and reverting back to plain SMS.

Another thread covering the matter.

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera.../#post13401926

I guess trial and error is your next best option if you're determined to try and get BBM working on the Bold - I doubt there's anyone left on these forums to help with version numbers.

Dec 03 2020 | 2:29 am EST tommybegley

I had a friend with pretty much the identical experience - they ended up uninstalling BBM and reverting back to plain SMS.

Another thread covering the matter.

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera.../#post13401926

I guess trial and error is your next best option if you're determined to try and get BBM working on the Bold - I doubt there's anyone left on these forums to help with version numbers.
That's super handy, thanks man. Yeah I might see if I can find a few slightly older versions of BBM 8 and hope for the best.
Or I suppose invest in a portable charger and just accept the battery drain.

Dec 03 2020 | 10:41 am EST Rico4you

That's super handy, thanks man. Yeah I might see if I can find a few slightly older versions of BBM 8 and hope for the best.
Hello try here

www.blackberryos.com/downloads.php

Good luck!

Dec 03 2020 | 12:41 pm EST conite

If the budget is limited, and you're tired of fighting against the inevitable, you could always grab an inexpensive modern device.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocke...UvbUpU13560788

$139 usd, with 3 years of guaranteed Android updates and security patches.

Dec 03 2020 | 12:53 pm EST Rico4you

If the budget is limited, and you're tired of fighting against the inevitable, you could always grab an inexpensive modern device.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocke...UvbUpU13560791

$139 usd, with 3 years of guaranteed Android updates and security patches.
From searching for BBM for the awesome BOLD to a low cost Android. Yeah tons of low cost / cheap Android devices available...too bad none have the keyboard of the Bold.

Dec 03 2020 | 1:01 pm EST Chuck Finley69

From searching for BBM for the awesome BOLD to a low cost Android. Yeah tons of low cost / cheap Android devices available...too bad none have the keyboard of the Bold.
As much as I love my Bold PKB from 2012, here in almost 2021, I'll take current VKB on a current proprietary Android/iOS device of your choosing. All of the recent 2018+ Pixels and iPhones have left 2012 far behind in the rearview.

Dec 03 2020 | 1:02 pm EST conite

Understood.

But a keyboard becomes less useful when the apps people want or need either don't function well enough or at all.

This is just a suggestion - particularly in the context of BIS and 3G coming to the end soon.

Dec 05 2020 | 4:30 am EST tommybegley

Hello try here

Downloads - BlackBerryOS.com

Good luck!
Awesome website, I had no idea it existed. It’s a shame the forum seems to have died off. Thanks man I’ll see what I can find

Dec 05 2020 | 4:31 am EST Rico4you

Awesome website, I had no idea it existed. It’s a shame the forum seems to have died off. Thanks man I’ll see what I can find
Welcome.