Think about it. Since snapchat is only on iOS and android this leaves WP users and us BlackBerry addicts out. With the exception of 3rd party apps. But if BlackBerry builds a self destructing pic/vid service into BBM it would be the one true cross platform snapchat competitor and Windows phone would allow it to steal some of snapchats thunder because everone on windows phone would beg all. Their iOS/Android friends to download BBM so they could snap eachother.

Thoughts and comments?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 10:23 AM
    Snapchat is a whole new different way of communicating, as opposed to BBM, believe it or not.

The fact that it already has popularity doesn't make it an easy task to make people to revert to... BBM? I mean BBM is only alive because of its old past, the "snapchat" idea of sending pictures can be replicated by anyone but everyone will stay with Snapchat because a) people are using it already b) because they are the originals for the idea itself.
    03-26-14 10:27 AM
    Self-destructing messages would be HUGE for bbm, bbm is known for its security and reliability which makes it great for business, think of all the people on wall street and in washington DC that would love secure self-destructing messages... plus then you get the other people who would love it for sharing nude pics.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 11:38 PM
    There is one app like snapchat for bbm. Check out BBW

Posted via ? Q10Bold
    05-12-14 12:55 AM
    Self-destructing messages would be HUGE for bbm, bbm is known for its security and reliability which makes it great for business, think of all the people on wall street and in washington DC that would love secure self-destructing messages... plus then you get the other people who would love it for sharing nude pics.

Posted via CB10
    it's quite difficult to guarantee that a message would actually be deleted - and there are other apps that make an attempt. Wickr does some of these things, messages can be automatically deleted after a certain time, on android the screenshot functionality is disabled but I'm sure that can be gotten around with a root or just photographing the screen. The cryptosystem is also more modern than BlackBerry Messenger and the completely unencrypted (to my knowledge) snapchat.

even though you can defeat the secure delete, It is helpful when you are talking to a trusted colleague to set message auto destructs as a defense against device recovery by an adversary.
    05-12-14 02:05 AM
    Obviously you can take a picture of a message you get, thats not the apps responsibility, all I hear is people making excuses not to do it, you'll never win with that attitude. Look at snapchat, it came out of nowhere and got huge, clearly there is a market.

Lets say I send a self-destructing msg to my business partner about getting the outsourced IT company at his office (on the other side of the country) to delete some sensitive data because we could get sued if it was ever found, and even if the message admitting we had it and how to communicate to the IT so they don't realize its sensitivity level and who would be interested in know this info... and my business partner is in sales and clueless about computers so I don't know how well he deletes bbm messages like that... we're on the same team we both want the evidence destroyed, bbm just helps him, this is the whole point of software.

Software can't guarantee perfection when human aspects come into play, thats life, it never can, so don't bother saying, "theres no point because a user could screw it up". We wouldn't even have computers if we had that attitude.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 08:59 PM
    Snapchat turned down a $3 billion dollar buy out... thats around half of what all of blackberry is worth!!

And you're saying "don't do it, a user could bypass it"? Smooth move.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 09:05 PM
    Obviously you can take a picture of a message you get, thats not the apps responsibility, all I hear is people making excuses not to do it, you'll never win with that attitude. Look at snapchat, it came out of nowhere and got huge, clearly there is a market.

Lets say I send a self-destructing msg to my business partner about getting the outsourced IT company at his office (on the other side of the country) to delete some sensitive data because we could get sued if it was ever found, and even if the message admitting we had it and how to communicate to the IT so they don't realize its sensitivity level and who would be interested in know this info... and my business partner is in sales and clueless about computers so I don't know how well he deletes bbm messages like that... we're on the same team we both want the evidence destroyed, bbm just helps him, this is the whole point of software.

Software can't guarantee perfection when human aspects come into play, thats life, it never can, so don't bother saying, "theres no point because a user could screw it up". We wouldn't even have computers if we had that attitude.

Posted via CB10
    to an extent, this is already a problem in that BlackBerry Messenger is somewhat behind applications like Wickr and telegram. wickr provides modern cryptography and secure key exchange of the ephemeral keys as well as timed delete. Telegram (though it has significant cryptographic flaws) provides the same and is intended to be open sourced and multi platform.

BlackBerry Messenger needs to move faster than it is.
    05-12-14 10:04 PM
    I know one guy on a windows phone, and he's a dweeb I'd rather not chat with.
    05-12-14 10:05 PM