Just travelled to Honduras for 2 weeks and tried to get a few of our group to use BBM for messaging instead of SMS, telling them it was faster, more reliable, etc. Then I found I had to have roaming data enabled for BBM to work (this was my first experience using BBM when roaming). Yet once I enabled roaming data all my other apps with their updates etc. started using up data and therefore $. Yes, I know I could have just used it over WiFi but a messaging system needs to be always on and when you're travelling you're not always on WiFi plus some of the areas we were in just plain had no WiFi.

Given roaming SMS rates are pretty cheap and everyone in the group was easily accessible via SMS, everyone, myself included, stopped using BBM and reverted to SMS.

I see this as a huge barrier to BBM adoption. Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome it? I think it's impossible, but unless there's a way to selectively turn on roaming data for BBM only, low roaming SMS rates will make it challenging to justify using BBM when travelling.

I should mention I'm using a Nexus 4 and therefore BBM for Android.

- R.
    05-13-14 05:03 PM
    But is the same of all other systems like whatsapp, facebook messenger etc, don't run without enabling the data....
    05-13-14 05:13 PM
    But is the same of all other systems like whatsapp, facebook messenger etc, don't run without enabling the data....
    True - but SMS does. That's what ended up being the competitor that knocked BBM off my friend's iPhones and Androids. To be honest, I'd have a hard time justifying it when roaming even if I was in a 100% Blackberry-carrying group. When roaming data is so much more expensive than roaming SMS ...

- R.
    05-13-14 08:02 PM
    I too suffered heavy roaming bills because of using BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 08:15 PM
    I find this rather strange. Why on earth pay roaming charges when travelling. Unlock your device. Buy a local sim card which typically are very inexpensive and bingo your done

Traveled for three weeks in Europe last year in three different countries and had basically unlimited data in each location for maybe $20 each per week.

I will never ever pay roaming fees. They are daylight robbery imo!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    rallen562 likes this.
    05-13-14 09:03 PM
    As bigbadben10 said. On the UK you can get unlimited data with 3 for a month for 10 (if I remember correctly) and in Kenya, just get a Safaricom sim from the airport. I usually get through about 2-4 a visit and I'm a pretty heavy user.
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    05-14-14 06:14 PM
    I find this rather strange. Why on earth pay roaming charges when travelling. Unlock your device. Buy a local sim card which typically are very inexpensive and bingo your done

Traveled for three weeks in Europe last year in three different countries and had basically unlimited data in each location for maybe $20 each per week.

I will never ever pay roaming fees. They are daylight robbery imo!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    Pardon my ignorance, but when you replace the SIM does the telephone number on the phone change? (I would assume yes) And do you need to reinstall the apps on the phone? (I would assume no)

Thanks for your help.

- R.
    05-14-14 07:54 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but when you replace the SIM does the telephone number on the phone change? (I would assume yes) And do you need to reinstall the apps on the phone? (I would assume no)

Thanks for your help.

- R.
    That is correct, replacing the can change the number. I say can because it would depend on what number is connected to the Sim. No need to reinstall any apps because the apps are installed on your phone.

Sent from my ME301T using CB Forums mobile app
    05-15-14 01:36 AM
    That is correct, replacing the can change the number. I say can because it would depend on what number is connected to the Sim. No need to reinstall any apps because the apps are installed on your phone.

Sent from my ME301T using CB Forums mobile app
    The changing of the phone number is a show stopper for me on this strategy. But I appreciate the info.

- Rob.
    05-15-14 06:41 PM
    One thing I tried the other day was I have a Iphone 4s as a work phone and it is ATT and my Sprint Q10 is my personal phone and when I get out in the non sprint roaming areas I turned on the Hot spot fundction on the 4S and connected my Q10 and I am able to use that to get BBM in no or low or roaming areas using the ATT signal.

Pretty cool
    05-16-14 10:47 AM