One thing I see as a deal breaker for my friends to switch is the fact that BBM doesn't send full sized photos by default. You can request one manually one by one, but if you send a lot of pictures it becomes impractical.
    If this is not solved, I don't see any of my friends switching

The Swiper
    10-13-13 10:57 AM
    Whatsapp is gud for the the college guys, very low on privacy. How can u have an app that allows u to type in a no in ur contacts and then see status if that no. Ridiculously unsafe! Gud for mass forwards of garbage!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 12:05 PM
    Can't wait for #BBM4ALL this Whatsapp thing is getting annoying. When Bbm will roll out for all the world will dump Whatsapp for BBM.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 02:27 PM
    Look at the quality of what's being communicated lately and by who. Its all garbage by dolts! Sadly Whatsapp wl stay as the dolts outnumber the rest!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 08:31 PM
    I really don't care how hard you people try to make it look like WhatsApp is bad, when it actually does exactly what it is designed to do - replace your SMS client. If someone has your Phone Number they can text you and there is nothing you can do about it. WhatsApp is nothing but an SMS/MMS replacement. It is not an IM network with User Names, Statuses, and crap like that. They are not the same type of service. People use WhatsApp because it basically replaces texting in situations where texting would be too expensive, and like an SMS app, it uses your address book to match up your contacts. If someone sends you messages and you don't want them to, you block them - the same way you can block them on your phone (via a Blocking Mode) or through your carrier (if possible). All this B.S. about not wanting people to know you're ignoring them... Please give me a break.

No one cares about whether WhatsApp uses phone numbers. Those people do not care about PINs. PINs are nothing more than user names that no one can remember, Lol, which makes it look kind of sloppy (and it's why they have the Blackberry ID system now).

If they cared about that stuff, they'd be using Traditional IM networks where approval is required - and many already ARE supplementing services like WhatsApp with services like Skype.

They can ALREADY use Skype for this, and require others to request being added before they can IM, Call, or Video Call you. Skype has 250M users. WhatsApp 300M. Trust me, if anyone is looking for what supposed benefit you get out of BBM, they are far more likely to go Skype than BBM.
    I have Skype but I hate the service, it is so difficult to log on & use it. The call quality is bad & most of the time you cannot use the video call because it sucks up all the bandwidth.

It's almost impossible to use video calls over 3G on Skype but no problem on BBM. Skype always get cut off but BBM doesn't. Skype is so laggy but BBM is so smooth.

That's why I'm sticking to my BBM.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 08:36 PM
    true, bbm AMD whatsapp cater to different groups. whatsapp has added options though(like sending videos,location,pictures,voice notes) and has added estatus changes bit un essence remains ThE same texto message service. what bbm should be worried about is services like kik and line which offer more features than bbm will at launch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Then you truly don't know what you are talking about. You should use it first before you comment.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 08:44 PM
    Then you truly don't know what you are talking about. You should use it first before you comment.

Posted via CB10
    They do have more features on android and iOS than bbm will at launch on those platforms, and WhatsApp isn't an IM network. It is an SMS replacement like iMessage.

So he's right.

When using a cross platfirm application your features are only as much as the person you're using it with. You won't be video or voice calling iOS users with BBM for a while, buddy. That effectively puts BBM quite far behind competing services.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-16-13 01:55 PM
    Channels is what is going to turn it into a bit of a Twitter/Tumbler Clone/Hybrid, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to use that when Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ already exist and offer so much more, in addition to messaging (on FB/G+).
    By this logic, why would anyone want to use Instagram?

You also do not strike me as a Google+ user. I mean, since there is Facebook, which does it better...and Skype, which does it better....I could be wrong, though.

I really don't care....
    Actually, if you really don't care you would not have felt the need to post such a lengthy retort, let alone post anything at all. If you really didn't care....you would have moved on to other things instead of coming here and posting something on a subject you do not care about.

If common sense were common, more people would have it.
    10-16-13 05:43 PM
    Instagran isn't necessarily a newcomer at this point, and its not a complete social network like Facebook or Google+. Flicjr could have owned instagram, but they were too busy being lazy.

10-16-13 05:46 PM
    I don't see what WhatsApp can do that BBM cross platform cannot do.

I can see that BBM Cross Platform can send files but WhatsApp cannot eg. excel, word, PDF, power point, calendar & calendar sharing.

Can anyone enlightened me on this coz the whole world keep saying that WhatsApp can do more.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 11:53 AM
    One thing I see as a deal breaker for my friends to switch is the fact that BBM doesn't send full sized photos by default. You can request one manually one by one, but if you send a lot of pictures it becomes impractical.
    If this is not solved, I don't see any of my friends switching

The Swiper
    Actually WhatsApp also compress pictures automatically before sending. BBM provides the option to request for a full or higher resolution but WhatsApp doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 11:55 AM
    I have Skype but I hate the service, it is so difficult to log on & use it. The call quality is bad & most of the time you cannot use the video call because it sucks up all the bandwidth.

It's almost impossible to use video calls over 3G on Skype but no problem on BBM. Skype always get cut off but BBM doesn't. Skype is so laggy but BBM is so smooth.

That's why I'm sticking to my BBM.

Posted via CB10
    I use Skype for phone calls on a daily basis, because Verizon's coverage in my house is so bad (something about how it's constructed, since it goes up to 3G or LTE when I am 10 feet out of the house). Never had an issue with the quality (over WiFi or LTE). Skype sounds like any other phone call, if not better.

I don't do video calls from a phone because:

1. The quality is almost always worse than from a PC, for a number of obvious and not-so-obvious reasons - stabler (often much faster) connection, more powerful processor, less quality loss due to Camera Shake and being forced to have Digital Stabilization enabled (since a PC Webcam is relatively stationary and should barely be affected by camera shake, even on a Notebook/Ultrabook). Skype also runs on every OS/Platform worth mentioning. Unlike Skype, BBM won't be usable from a PC (via a native app, not the cheap bridging they are still going to make us laugh with, which they showed off) and will be limited to only iOS and Android. People talk about how this hits xx% of the smartphone market, but it also cuts out 100% of the PC market in addition to making it less useful in markets where alternative OSes (like Windows Phone) actually are catching on nicely.

2. It's just dumb to have to hold a phone up constantly just to video chat. Most phones have the FFC is such bad places that it isn't worth the trouble, in addition to almost always forcing you to use it in portrait mode for video chat (unless you want to risk having tons of issues with obstructing the camera lens, etc. Camera shake, unanticipated changes in exposure, etc. They are just bad for having extensive video chats. If all you want to do is leave a message, you're better off just using Skype and sending them a Video Message instead. Those are free and Unlimited, and can be something like 3+ minutes in length...

3. Video Chat is a battery killer, even over WiFi.

Skype is great for Voice and Video Calls. Where Skype falls a bit short is in IM, but it is improving there as well. Their mobile apps also used to be complete poo, but the recent rewrites have really improved them a ton.

Without the ability to call real phone numbers, I am not interested in any Voice Chat functionality an app may have. Without the ability to host 3-4 person Video Chats from a Desktop Machine, I am not really interested in any Video Chat functionality an app may have.

And I don't use Hangouts (despite having an Android device) because it isn't worth signing up for a Google+ profile to me...

Skype already does File Sharing, Screen Sharing (from Desktop - the only place where this makes sense to me), Conference Calling, and Group Messaging.

There is also GroupMe, which Microsoft now owns thanks to their Skype acquisition.
    10-17-13 04:11 PM
    I don't see what WhatsApp can do that BBM cross platform cannot do.

I can see that BBM Cross Platform can send files but WhatsApp cannot eg. excel, word, PDF, power point, calendar & calendar sharing.

Can anyone enlightened me on this coz the whole world keep saying that WhatsApp can do more.

Posted via CB10
    BBM Cross Platform can ONLY SEND VOICE NOTES AND PICTURES (from Camera or Gallery). Where are you getting your information? It is clearly wrong, and easily verified as being wrong.

And no, WhatsApp only does what someone would expect an SMS/MMS client to do. AFAIK, no SMS/MMS client that I've used or looked at allows you to send anything off of your file system, like a word document. It only allows you to send specific types of data like Event, Contact, Photo, Video, Location, Audio File/Voice Memo, and maybe a Memo File using a built-in memo app if implemented on some devices...

At this point in time, WhatsApp is a more capable messaging application than BBM on Android and iOS.
    10-17-13 04:14 PM
    BBM Cross Platform can ONLY SEND VOICE NOTES AND PICTURES (from Camera or Gallery). Where are you getting your information? It is clearly wrong, and easily verified as being wrong.

And no, WhatsApp only does what someone would expect an SMS/MMS client to do. AFAIK, no SMS/MMS client that I've used or looked at allows you to send anything off of your file system, like a word document. It only allows you to send specific types of data like Event, Contact, Photo, Video, Location, Audio File/Voice Memo, and maybe a Memo File using a built-in memo app if implemented on some devices...

At this point in time, WhatsApp is a more capable messaging application than BBM on Android and iOS.
    But WhatsApp cannot send memo & events BBM can. Where else are you going to send pictures from other than the camera & gallery? Well BBM can send pictures from my Facebook, Twitter, browser and most apps on my phone. WhatsApp can only send from certain apps but not all apps. Unfortunately you will have to save them in to the gallery first before you can send or share them via WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:45 AM
    BBM Video call can go landscape, I have tried it. :-) it's pretty smooth via 3G. It did jerk a little when I was on the train underground the other day though.

Yes, I agree that skype is much better on my PC :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:49 AM
    But hey....
    When they add me in a whatsapp group, i could easily fish out phone numbers from chicks i didn't know... I can get their contacts and picture id once i add them to my phonebook. Wasn't that awesome. But then... *sarcasm end.

Lol... That is one of the main reason i exited from any group immediately after they add me. Of course with the exception of my family's group.
    10-18-13 08:18 AM
    I can't seem to enjoy WhatsApp. Bbm and bbm group is what I trust.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    10-18-13 08:39 AM
    Jeeze. You have to be doing doing his for attention.

10-18-13 09:43 AM
    BBM Video call can go landscape, I have tried it. :-) it's pretty smooth via 3G. It did jerk a little when I was on the train underground the other day though.

Yes, I agree that skype is much better on my PC :-)

Posted via CB10
    You're missing the point, completely.

Look where the FFC is on most devices. It is at the top of the device and almost always offset to one side or another. The iPhone 5 series is one of the few smartphones that have the camera centered at the top of the device.

If you put the phone in landscape mode, you have to exercise way too much care with how you hold the device, or your hand can obstruct the lense. This is part of the reason why a lot of iPhone users record almost all of their video (and take a ton of pictures) in portrait mode. Their back camera - surprisingly - it set in a pretty terrible place on the phone that is easily obstructed with your hand if you are using it in landscape mode and aren't paying attention. Nokia and Sony put some of their smartphone back cameras in MUCH better places, but often suffer from the same issues with their FFCs. Samsung and HTC are better with the back cameras as well - centering them - but their FFCs are, again, often offset to one side or another. Makes it a pain to get the right angle to frame the image as well. With an iPhone you know if the phone is directly in front your face, it's where it needs to be. Not so on other devices.

That's what I meant when I said the phones often force you to use them in portrait mode, because of the device design and position of the FFC - not because Skype doesn't allow it, because it does properly switch from portrait to landscape when the device is rotated during a video call.

This is also why OEMs like HTC have started putting wide angle lenses on their FFC. To allow people to use it in portrait mode and still get a field of view that is similar to if they use a competing device in landscape, but without sacrificing ergonomics or security of grip on the device. This allows the position of the FFC to be less of an issue for framing the image during a photo or video call, so the device is ultimately easier to use during those scenarios.

These bad ergonomics is part of the reason why I could never buy a QWERTY device like a Q10. Once you move beyond messaging to Media Playback and Photography/Video Recording those devices suddenly becomes quite terrible to operate compared to the "more traditional" slate-type devices. They are designed in a one-dimensional way that misses the big picture.
    10-18-13 01:38 PM
44 12