Aside from the fact that hangouts isn't avail on BlackBerry, does anyone here have experience with the new hangouts update on android or iOS?

I'm hearing integrated-SMS, voice and video (I think voice is avail with iOS and android, just video for android), more accurate D and R notifications, in-chat youtube vid posts, and more.

Again it's not on BlackBerry, but with BlackBerry now having only about 1% hardware market, do you blame them for the exclusion?

I'm growing more and more concerned with the future of BlackBerry with both hardware and now bbm, which was one of my last strongholds of hope.

There needs to be some serious overdrive in waterloo if there's any hope to stay in the game.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by JasonGallagher; 11-03-13 at 12:56 PM.
    11-03-13 11:15 AM
    Its pretty nice. I like the SMS integration actually. They have had a "d" and "r" type of method for quite a while and it works fine. its not quite as advanced accomplishes the same thing. Bottom line if you are on android the new upgrade is great and makes hangouts the top messaging app for many.
    11-03-13 11:44 AM
    Thanks for the response. I'm grasping at straws with features to sell BlackBerry on. Not a lot of hardware perks left, if any, and QNX, security, reliability don't speak to most or hold any weight in conversations.

Et tu BBM? Et tu???

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon likes this.
    11-03-13 12:10 PM
    Not to mention the exclusion from almost any mainstream apps. In general, when something comes out, BlackBerry users have to hope and dream and request it to consider coming to BlackBerry. Typically we see an app ad with a apple logo and android, no BlackBerry. Can we pay the developer? Can we get a 3rd party imitation? And then we rejoice months/years later if/when it does come.

Growing weary here, give me something to hold onto!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 12:15 PM
    Problem is the name, Hangouts sounds so lame and can't be used as a verb like "Hey can you BBM/Whatsapp me".
    11-03-13 12:20 PM
    Problem is the name, Hangouts sounds so lame and can't be used as a verb like "Hey can you BBM/Whatsapp me".
    Agreed the name is lame. But that seems easy for them to change.

What matters more is functionality, and with hangouts offering (almost) all bbm functions and more, and on iOS and android (90% + hardware market), I'm worried for bbm

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 12:30 PM
    PIN system is superior in my opinion. And if Blackberry can stick around for the long term people will realize it. Just imagine you are in an online game or on a dating site, would you rather give out your PIN which you have full control over and can reject or block any invite, or would you rather give out your phone number like Whatsapp or your email address like hangouts?
    11-03-13 12:36 PM
    Agreed PIN is more private. And for some that will matter. BBM as yet another social network to post a profile pic and status to people they don't trust enough to have their phone numbers may still hold some weight. But looking at my own bbm list, I have most/all their phone numbers.

Most people already have a list of whatsapp, imessage, or hangouts list of people that know their phone numbers, so I'm not sure that argument matters for most. For some yes, but I feel for most people that want to use it for a daily IM with people they know, like, and trust enough to have their 'private' phone number it won't.

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon likes this.
    11-03-13 12:47 PM
    Yes but in theory if BBM caught on you would make more contacts that wouldn't necessarily share their phone number with you. Like in social situations in bars or partys, people would be more likely to share their PIN then their phone number or e-mail which people consider personal information.

A good example is when xBBM was released my facebook feed suddenly had a influx of status updates of people posting their PINs. These are random facebook friends I have made over the years and I'm sure they wouldn't be so liberal posting their phone number in their status for everyone to see.

A lot of this privacy talk is not necessarily NSA spying irrational tinfoil-hat fear. But a lot of average non-techy people have a legitimate fear or things like phishing, scams and identity theft. Your phone number and your e-mail are tied to so many things in your life, bank accounts, utility bills, subscriptions etc.
    11-03-13 01:06 PM
    I hope you're right, but recent trends have shown people care less about their privacy and more about features and popularity.

Crackberry.com continues to post news about another government agency or organization buying/renewing their BlackBerry service contracts. And that's great, for government and big business where this is a priority.

On the flipside with consumers, android has continued to grow. Google makes their money off selling your personal data to the highest bidder. Your searches, your location, your interests, and your buying trends. People don't care because the services they get in return outweigh it. The numbers are simple proof of this.

People continue to post what most people used to think of as private photos of everything in their life, from what they're eating to who they're with and what they're doing. People post their opinions with their names and pictures on twitter and instagram.

I think this trend shows people caring less about keeping their lives private.

Back to the phone number issue, I agree that for some people that want 800 bbm contacts who they don't really know or want to know, but yet want to have as contacts (?), this may matter. For others that want to use IM as their daily driver with maybe a few dozen people they know and communicate with, they want what has the most features and don't care about these people knowing their phone numbers, because chances are they already do.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 01:20 PM
    "Let's Hangout/FaceTime/Skype." sounds just as good as "Can you BBM me?" and I've never heard of people saying "Can you WhatsApp me?" personally...
    11-03-13 01:31 PM
    Aside from the fact that hangouts isn't avail on BlackBerry, does anyone here have experience with the new hangouts update on android or iOS?

I'm hearing integrated-SMS, voice and video (I think voice is avail with iOS and android, just video for android), more accurate D and R notifications, in-chat youtube vid posts, and more.
    Hangouts doubles as an SMS/MMS client with v2.0 on Android, yes.

Voice you can accomplish simply by turning your video off, similar to FaceTime before they put in the option to do Voice Only. Voice Calls will likely come soon.

Again it's not on BlackBerry, but with BlackBerry now having only about 1% hardware market, do you blame them for the exclusion?
    No, it's not necessarily a simple app/service, especially when you factor in how it's integrated with other services like Google+ and Google Voice. This means they have to port other components that consumers may not immediately be aware of in addition to the core Hangouts experience/app.

I'm growing more and more concerned with the future of BlackBerry with both hardware and now bbm, which was one of my last strongholds of hope.

There needs to be some serious overdrive in waterloo if there's any hope to stay in the game.

Posted via CB10
    Have had threads about the state of that company so not really anything to delve into in yet another thread.

Hangouts had S/D/R when it was integrated into the Google+ App.

Hangouts (as its own app) has an Indicator that shows you where the person[s] in the conversation have read up to, which is basically the same thing.

The v2.0 update introduces Moods (Graphical Status Indicators) as well as an Indicator to tell people whether or not you're on a PC, Smartphone, or Tablet. It also has a setting to let people know if you're on the Phone or in a Video Call in the app.

This is in addition to them introducing the ability to use it as an SMS/MMS client (it also supports Group MMS).

And of course, there is the ability to Hangout with up to 10 people in a Video Call. It has a ton of Emoji as well.

Hangouts is most powerful when used in conjunction with Google+. For group chats (using Circles), it becomes quite powerful then (no 30 person limit, for example, and you can use Google+ Photo Sharing, Events, etc. with Circles as well). Google+ basically has everything BB wants to do with BBM + Channels already, if you want to use it that way.

What you use depends on your needs, uses, and now even platform choice.

Hangouts/Google+/Google Voice isn't available on Windows Phone, either... So that is something other to consider (if you know people who use that platform). However, being able to use it as an SMS client (on Android) at least allows you to communicate with those people without hopping to a separate App (You can enable it and then turn off Notifications), use your default/better Messaging client for most things and only Hangouts when you're in that app and want to sent an SMS without switching...
    11-03-13 01:39 PM
    Hangouts doubles as an SMS/MMS client with v2.0 on Android, yes.

Voice you can accomplish simply by turning your video off, similar to FaceTime before they put in the option to do Voice Only. Voice Calls will likely come soon.

No, it's not necessarily a simple app/service, especially when you factor in how it's integrated with other services like Google+ and Google Voice. This means they have to port other components that consumers may not immediately be aware of in addition to the core Hangouts experience/app.

Have had threads about the state of that company so not really anything to delve into in yet another thread.

Hangouts had S/D/R when it was integrated into the Google+ App.

Hangouts (as its own app) has an Indicator that shows you where the person[s] in the conversation have read up to, which is basically the same thing.

The v2.0 update introduces Moods (Graphical Status Indicators) as well as an Indicator to tell people whether or not you're on a PC, Smartphone, or Tablet. It also has a setting to let people know if you're on the Phone or in a Video Call in the app.

This is in addition to them introducing the ability to use it as an SMS/MMS client (it also supports Group MMS).

And of course, there is the ability to Hangout with up to 10 people in a Video Call. It has a ton of Emoji as well.

Hangouts is most powerful when used in conjunction with Google+. For group chats (using Circles), it becomes quite powerful then (no 30 person limit, for example, and you can use Google+ Photo Sharing, Events, etc. with Circles as well). Google+ basically has everything BB wants to do with BBM + Channels already, if you want to use it that way.

What you use depends on your needs, uses, and now even platform choice.

Hangouts/Google+/Google Voice isn't available on Windows Phone, either... So that is something other to consider (if you know people who use that platform). However, being able to use it as an SMS client (on Android) at least allows you to communicate with those people without hopping to a separate App (You can enable it and then turn off Notifications), use your default/better Messaging client for most things and only Hangouts when you're in that app and want to sent an SMS without switching...
    Good summary of features. Agreed it will depend on what the user wants to use, I'm just concerned that bbm no longer has much of a leg up on the competition. That matters when trying to sell it your friends. And with BlackBerry not marketing at all, yes, we are all sales people for the brand. Sitting back and saying BlackBerry is great for xyz reasons is great for crackberry.com, but clearly not good enough for the 90% of others that aren't as committed. We need compelling features that really matter.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 01:46 PM
    I hope you're right, but recent trends have shown people care less about their privacy and more about features and popularity.

Crackberry.com continues to post news about another government agency or organization buying/renewing their BlackBerry service contracts. And that's great, for government and big business where this is a priority.

On the flipside with consumers, android has continued to grow. Google makes their money off selling your personal data to the highest bidder. Your searches, your location, your interests, and your buying trends. People don't care because the services they get in return outweigh it. The numbers are simple proof of this.

People continue to post what most people used to think of as private photos of everything in their life, from what they're eating to who they're with and what they're doing. People post their opinions with their names and pictures on twitter and instagram.

I think this trend shows people caring less about keeping their lives private.

Back to the phone number issue, I agree that for some people that want 800 bbm contacts who they don't really know or want to know, but yet want to have as contacts (?), this may matter. For others that want to use IM as their daily driver with maybe a few dozen people they know and communicate with, they want what has the most features and don't care about these people knowing their phone numbers, because chances are they already do.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing is private if you're sharing it on any network. Anyone can show it to anyone, screenshot things, copy and share private images/videos, etc.

I think the assumption that anything that allows you to send something to another user is private is a bit of a misnomer.

If your friend isn't using a log on his phone and gets it stolen, guess what happens?
    11-03-13 01:59 PM
    Good summary of features. Agreed it will depend on what the user wants to use, I'm just concerned that bbm no longer has much of a leg up on the competition. That matters when trying to sell it your friends. And with BlackBerry not marketing at all, yes, we are all sales people for the brand. Sitting back and saying BlackBerry is great for xyz reasons is great for crackberry.com, but clearly not good enough for the 90% of others that aren't as committed. We need compelling features that really matter.

Posted via CB10
    Alternatives are too good these days, for BBM to get any lead on them - never mind the kind of lead it had 4+ years ago in the messaging market.

RIM/Blackberry hoarded it too long and forced competitors to deliver compelling solutions. They should have released it to all platforms years ago so that they could have monetized it. That way, people wouldn't be talking about Path, Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, and Twitter. They'd be talking about (what they're now developing as) BBM Channels instead.

I personally think it's too late, and they won't really be able to dominate the way they had the chance to years ago. I'm not even sure they can even catch up seeing how the mobile OS landscape has practically turned itself upside-down since then.

In a round-about way, RIM kind of marketed their competitors' devices/platforms by clinging onto this service so tightly.
    mornhavon likes this.
    11-03-13 02:02 PM
    Sad but true.

Specific to the bbm vs hangouts thread title, with the increased features, integration, and availability of hangouts on both android and iOS, I'm not sure bbm has a real chance anymore.

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon likes this.
    11-03-13 03:05 PM
    "whatsapp me" for Whatsapp, "BBM me" for BBM, its "Hang me" for Hangouts LoL
    11-04-13 03:35 AM
    BB already has hangouts. We hang out on BBM.
    11-04-13 04:16 AM