I remember a thread discussing this a while back (I couldn't find it) , and the question remained as to whether BBM Voice would work unlike other voip services such as skype. Well, I just tested it a minute ago and successfully executed a call to my brother's playbook.

This is another reason why BBM is the best. I bet frequent traveling Corp folks will really appreciate this.

Edit: Netflix works too!!! Gogo specifically states that Netflix isn't supported, but it works on my z30.

James
    Last edited by JJStripes; 08-23-14 at 03:03 PM.
    08-23-14 12:11 PM
    I remember a thread discussing this a while back (I couldn't find it) , and the question remained as to whether BBM Voice would work unlike other voip services such as skype. Well, I just tested it a minute ago and successfully executed a call to my brother's playbook.

This is another reason why BBM is the best. I bet frequent traveling Corp folks will really appreciate this.

James
    Maybe someday your happiness with BBM will screw up the plane's signals and you'll all crash and people will die, others will be injured, and the rest will be scarred for life. Will you be proud of BBM then?
    08-23-14 12:15 PM
    They allow data connections on a plane, deeming them safe. So your disaster came is frivolous and without merit. BBM voice data.

Posted via CB10 on the great Z30
    David Tyler likes this.
    08-23-14 12:19 PM
    LOL, it's data transmitted over wifi, which is exactly what everyone else is doing on the plane. I'm just using my wifi in a different way. Other than the risk of annoying other passengers there is no problem with it. I solved that problem by whispering.
    08-23-14 12:19 PM
    Maybe someday your happiness with BBM will screw up the plane's signals and you'll all crash and people will die, others will be injured, and the rest will be scarred for life. Will you be proud of BBM then?
    except you're allowed to use wifi on the plane now in most jurisdictions, and the airlines are making a fortune from $15/flight wifi. The issue is that they block popular services like HBOGo, Netflix, etc to preserve bandwidth for others. Skype, on the other hand, and where we get back to the OP, is blocked so as not to disturb other passengers, not because it's not technically possible.

I used BBM voice/video on a plane last year, got excited about it, then realized I was bothering a few people, so I haven't done it since.
    08-23-14 12:22 PM
    except you're allowed to use wifi on the plane now in most jurisdictions, and the airlines are making a fortune from $15/flight wifi. The issue is that they block popular services like HBOGo, Netflix, etc to preserve bandwidth for others. Skype, on the other hand, and where we get back to the OP, is blocked so as not to disturb other passengers, not because it's not technically possible.

I used BBM voice/video on a plane last year, got excited about it, then realized I was bothering a few people, so I haven't done it since.
    I didn't know that. Back in the day it was banned
    08-23-14 12:25 PM
    Guess what else works???!!!

Netflix!! The gogo sign in page specifically says that it doesn't support Netflix, but it does on my Z30. I'm not sure of the reason why it works, but I'd guess that gogo can't track usage on BlackBerrys the same way it can on Android and iPhone.
    08-23-14 03:02 PM

Edit: Netflix works too!!! Gogo specifically states that Netflix isn't supported, but it works on my z30.

James
    How were you able to call their PlayBook? When I look at any of my contacts, the option to call their PlayBook no longer exists. It used to be there but with one of the updates, they removed that capability. All we can do now is BBM calls between BlackBerry phones.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    08-23-14 08:31 PM
    How were you able to call their PlayBook? When I look at any of my contacts, the option to call their PlayBook no longer exists. It used to be there but with one of the updates, they removed that capability. All we can do now is BBM calls between BlackBerry phones.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    Before I had a BlackBerry phone I had a PlayBook. We used to use the video call app on the Playbooks to call each other. When I got my BB10 phone the calls from his PlayBook started ringing on my PlayBook and BB10 phone simultaneously. I can answer on either. The only way I know how to call his playbook from my BB10 phone is to click on the call notification that I got when he last called me. I always just save that notification so I can go back to it.
    08-23-14 09:26 PM
    You can call the phone from the playbook if you have the phone pin. There is an option to enter a pin, either playbook or phone. Can't do it from phone to playbook.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 11:55 PM
    Well considering planes these days are wifi enabled

BBM voice works over wifi

Regards

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 08:42 AM
    Incidentally, there was never any evidence that mobile phones had any effect on aircraft systems, and if you think about it, it would be pretty appalling if they could - every terrorist on the planet would be texting on board in the hope of success. But they're isolated circuits, that's rather the point of them.

Posted via CB10
    anon(1464249) likes this.
    08-24-14 08:47 AM
    Incidentally, there was never any evidence that mobile phones had any effect on aircraft systems, and if you think about it, it would be pretty appalling if they could - every terrorist on the planet would be texting on board in the hope of success. But they're isolated circuits, that's rather the point of them.
    Posted via CB10
    Correct. People were asked to disable their phones and not use them as to not be a nuissance to other passengers talking all the time.
    I can't count the times some annoying person in a train/bus/shopping line started calling and shouting.

There is a study that says that low power RF emitting devices can interfere with the GPS signal of an aircraft or interfere with dated electronics compliant with 1984 standards still in use in some aircrafts today. However, for every study saying it's bad to use phones on an aircraft, there is one debunking it.

From what I understand, airplanes just don't have the correct shielding in place to protect their electronic equipment in case there is a chance of interference nor has it been tested thoroughly what effects a continuous blast of radio signals will do to the airplane equipment over long periods of time. Combine this with antiquated standards and older electronic equipment....they thought it's best to ban it all together.

On a similar topic, the latest threat regarding phones on an airplane apparently, is phones working in a mesh to distribute bursts of radiofrequency interfering. A buddy that's an engineer at Boeing told me if a minimum of 7 smartphones with a powerful enough antenna emit short targeted bursts within 2 feet of a certain equipment it can cause corrupt readings. Although the likelyhood of such an attack are 0,000001% as there is no way to get that close to any of the equipment and technically that kind of attack isn't feasible without heavily modifying the phones to that extent you'll notice there has been tampered with.

Fly safe
    Banco likes this.
    08-28-14 03:46 AM