BBM voice is next to worthless. Have tried it dozens of times over the past months from all over the world with my Z10 to other Z10 and iPhone 5S in both the US and abroad.

Have tried from Japan, Hong Kong, China, Germany, Switzerland... all over Europe actually. Always with great network connections on both ends.

Almost always fails to connect. When it does, very poor (read unusable) call quality.

Resorting to Skype with the other Z10 and Facetime from my iPod with other iPhones works... so it's definitely BBM and not network issues.

Really pains me carrying around a 5 year old iToy as a backup to what has become horrible BlackBerry reliability.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 09:09 PM
    Works without fail for me. Use it and BBM video all the time with the wife. Are you up to date with the OS?

Posted by my Z10. Technology given to me by the Gods, or should I say the "Ancient Aliens"! 10.3.0.1052
    08-26-14 09:29 PM
    Works for me. From Canada to US, Italy and lately to Turkey
    08-26-14 09:41 PM
    Maybe it's your partner whose having problem with connection? I can even use it on mobile network, in Indonesia! Which has a notoriously bad internet connection!
    08-26-14 09:48 PM
    Crappy to hear. I'm getting almost hd voice quality. Hopefully you're able to troubleshoot the issue.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 09:52 PM
    I have a similar problem. My wife has a Z10 and I have the Z30 we have tested it with our 4G plans, our home Wi-Fi, different wi-fi networks and most of the time we couldn't even connect and when it does the connection drops within minutes.

Posted via CB 10 from my Z30
    08-26-14 09:58 PM
    It works wonderfully well for me and my family. The quality is so good it's really the best option available for us. Works equally well on mobile data and wi-fi too.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 09:32 AM
    Unfortunately it is almost entirely related to the connection between both phones. If you have a high ping between the two devices it will be almost unusable. Works very well when both phones are connected to fast wifi. Having one party on a cell network degrades the experience a lot even if you are in LTE as even that does not have a low enough latency to make it seamless. Both parties on cell networks stinks
    08-27-14 09:36 AM
    I use it daily between many different devices and had ZERO Issues. Maybe something with your signal or OS?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 09:57 AM
    I called my brother in the chicago suburbs( MURDER CAPITAL IN THE USA & OBAMA SAYS NOTHING, AMAZING AINT IT!) using BBM voice and it was the clearest call Ive had and could even hear the crickets as he was out side and it was like he was sitting next to me.

My brother even said the quality is amazing and he has a SS S4
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    08-27-14 11:04 AM
    Connection connection connection = quality call. Simple as that!

Works flawlessly for me talking to friends all over the world both cell to cell and wifi to cell and not just BlackBerry to BlackBerry. Cross platform works just as well. Simples!!!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    08-27-14 05:27 PM
    Connection connection connection = quality call. Simple as that!

Works flawlessly for me talking to friends all over the world both cell to cell and wifi to cell and not just BlackBerry to BlackBerry. Cross platform works just as well. Simples!!!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    Why does switching to Skype or Facetime on old iPod work every time... if BlackBerry can't handle working on the very same network that works fine for everything else... then again I say FAIL!!

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 08:02 PM
    Not to start a war of words BUT.... I say SUCCESS!!!

Works for meeeeee.......

Hate you are having problems. Great native BBM application.

Posted by my Z10. Technology given to me by the Gods, or should I say the "Ancient Aliens"! 10.3.0.1052
    08-27-14 08:09 PM
    I've had mostly excellent experiences with BBM voice to callers at various destinations around the world. US, Canada, Barbados, Italy, Portugal, Afghanistan (US/NATO zone at least), El Salvador, Argentina,.. etc. However I have noticed that if it doesn't work at one particular location, it will just not work. Unlike Skype, that "gracefully" sacrifices call quality to keep the call alive/with reasonable latency, BBM Voice just keeps trying to push the 'Natural Sound' quality and refuses to settle for the lower quality audio, making the call very glitch with every failed transition attempt and fallback.

So.. I agree with both sides here. Call experience is amazing when you have solid connections (especially on the Z30, turned to landscape!), but basically unusable on flaky ones. Skype, on the other hand, "grew up" with terrible connections, and really hasn't improved the audio quality at all,.. so of course it will do quite fine when today's connections are less than ideal.

Guess it's good that we have various tools,.. but it's up to us to select the best tool for the job.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 08:25 PM
    I've had mostly excellent experiences with BBM voice to callers at various destinations around the world. US, Canada, Barbados, Italy, Portugal, Afghanistan (US/NATO zone at least), El Salvador, Argentina,.. etc. However I have noticed that if it doesn't work at one particular location, it will just not work. Unlike Skype, that "gracefully" sacrifices call quality to keep the call alive/with reasonable latency, BBM Voice just keeps trying to push the 'Natural Sound' quality and refuses to settle for the lower quality audio, making the call very glitch with every failed transition attempt and fallback.

So.. I agree with both sides here. Call experience is amazing when you have solid connections (especially on the Z30, turned to landscape!), but basically unusable on flaky ones. Skype, on the other hand, "grew up" with terrible connections, and really hasn't improved the audio quality at all,.. so of course it will do quite fine when today's connections are less than ideal.

Guess it's good that we have various tools,.. but it's up to us to select the best tool for the job.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting input. And it makes sense.

The only part I still can't explain is why does Facetime on iToys work so much better. Without exception, every time I try to talk with BBM voice to my kids and get a FAIL, I then switch to Facetime on my old iPod 4... same networks on both ends... and it works fine... even video quality us good when BBM can't even handle voice only.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 08:44 PM
    Interesting input. And it makes sense.

The only part I still can't explain is why does Facetime on iToys work so much better. Without exception, every time I try to talk with BBM voice to my kids and get a FAIL, I then switch to Facetime on my old iPod 4... same networks on both ends... and it works fine... even video quality us good when BBM can't even handle voice only.

Posted via CB10
    I wish I knew... must be issues connection to the intermediary BBM voice/video server that negotiates the link. I've had this issue too, even with decent connections on the other end. Most of the times a reset seems to help (at least for BB10 devices).

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 10:24 PM