Not sure if this issue was posted previously.

When trying to make a voice call from my Z10 to an iPhone or an iPad, the green phone indicator is greyed out (indicating the user is not available). Only way to become actively green is when the user of that iPhone or iPad has BBM opened up.

Are there any ways to get around that?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 08:10 AM
    I have not (yet?) experienced that with my iOS BBM contacts. As soon as they get connected to Wifi, it turns green.
    02-24-14 08:13 AM
    I don't believe so. On BBM from BB to BB you don't have to have it open BUT it actually IS open all the time anyway. I guess on an ipad you would have to be in the app or else it is not running!
    02-24-14 08:13 AM
    On the BlackBerry devices BBM is open all the time. This is how OS is set up. On IOS and android unfortunately there operating system is designed to close apps you are not using for a certain amount of time. This is why when the BBM closes you cannot call them the icon is gray. Also when you send them a message you don't get the blue delivery icon because the app is closed and is not sending back the delivery confirmation. But even if you don't see the blue delivery the message is delivered. So if you want to call somebody thru BBM and the phone icon is grey just send them a BBM message and when they will open the app to read it the phone icon will turn green. I hope BlackBerry will find a way to get the delivery confirmation and phone to stay on but I'm not sure how they can do it. Is the way the IOS and Android OS is set to work

Visit my BBM Channel C000E96F6
    02-24-14 08:22 AM
    Thanks for the elaborate explanation. In fact, I've been "PINGing".

Agree, hope BBM team finds a way around.

Posted via CB10
    andreirad likes this.
    02-24-14 08:26 AM
    Change notification to banners I believe this it the last notification icon

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    andreirad likes this.
    02-24-14 08:38 AM
    It seems to be working the banner way. Better than nothing. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 09:00 AM
    this is the same thing with other cross platform apps. Whatsapp is the same way, if the application is closed in iOS or Android, it wont show that the device got it so it's pretty much a limitation of the OS. I have an iphone and BlackBerry so i've tested it.
    damien kupuku and andreirad like this.
    02-24-14 09:14 AM
    Change notification to banners I believe this it the last notification icon

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    You are right, I set my wife's Iphone BBM notifications on banners and I closed BBM on her phone and sent her a message and it shows delivered. That's great! Hope we can find on Android something similar

02-24-14 09:52 AM
    You are right, I set my wife's Iphone BBM notifications on banners and I closed BBM on her phone and sent her a message and it shows delivered. That's great! Hope we can find on Android something similar

I did it on my old iPhone, and I still have this problem with it.
    02-24-14 09:07 PM
    I did it on my old iPhone, and I still have this problem with it.
    I just checked again. I opened my BBM I tapped on the contact (my wife iphone) the telephone icon was grey and I sent her a message. She got the message right away but on my phone the send check icon stayed grey for 10 seconds and then surprise, the blue delivered icon appeared and the telephone icon was green. I think this banner notification ends up opening the BBM app.

02-24-14 09:16 PM
    Checked again and didn't work at least they receive the message so they can open the app then.

02-24-14 09:57 PM
    On the BlackBerry devices BBM is open all the time. This is how OS is set up. On IOS and android unfortunately there operating system is designed to close apps you are not using for a certain amount of time. This is why when the BBM closes you cannot call them the icon is gray. Also when you send them a message you don't get the blue delivery icon because the app is closed and is not sending back the delivery confirmation. But even if you don't see the blue delivery the message is delivered. So if you want to call somebody thru BBM and the phone icon is grey just send them a BBM message and when they will open the app to read it the phone icon will turn green. I hope BlackBerry will find a way to get the delivery confirmation and phone to stay on but I'm not sure how they can do it. Is the way the IOS and Android OS is set to work

I'm not disregarding your post, but WhatsApp's first tick means that the message has been sent to the server and the second tick means that it has been delivered to the device. How do they accomplish that with an app that's shut/inactive?:S Also, if they can accomplish it, so can BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 01:35 AM

on android, just make sure that the bbm connected icon is turned "ON". once it does, it will never shut down and will always get the message.
    andreirad likes this.
    02-25-14 02:21 AM
    This problem is not there in Android I guess. But my messages to IOS never get delivered unless BBM is opened in my friend's IOS device.

02-25-14 02:54 AM
    This problem is not there in Android I guess. But my messages to IOS never get delivered unless BBM is opened in my friend's IOS device.
    There is definitely a problem if the message is not getting delivered. On the IOS phones I send message, they get delivered but on my BlackBerry they don't show the blue delivered confirmation . But the message gets delivered and when they open the app to read the message then I get the confirmation (R). If you're friends with IOS are not getting the message at all maybe they should try to delete and reinstall BBM. Something is not right.

Last edited by andreirad; 02-25-14 at 04:49 AM.
    02-25-14 04:34 AM
    I'm not disregarding your post, but WhatsApp's first tick means that the message has been sent to the server and the second tick means that it has been delivered to the device. How do they accomplish that with an app that's shut/inactive?:S Also, if they can accomplish it, so can BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I hope BlackBerry will find a way but actually somebody few posts above is talking about whatsapp and is saying that even they have this problem. I'm not using whatsapp enough to confirm that but I remember not all the time I get two ticks . Sometimes I get one and the second one is hours later.

02-25-14 04:43 AM
    Yes, I hope BlackBerry will find a way but actually somebody few posts above is talking about whatsapp and is saying that even they have this problem. I'm not using whatsapp enough to confirm that but I remember not all the time I get two ticks . Sometimes I get one and the second one is hours later.

True...

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:35 AM
    Go to Bbm and check that the setting for Bbm calls over the network are on also the grey tick on Bbm means it has been sent but not delivered maby because the device it was send to has not got sufficient signal. There seems to be a few Bbm haters nocking about but guess what I'm a watsapp hater. It is the biggest pile of poo nocking around! Simple as that

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    02-25-14 11:10 AM
    Go to Bbm and check that the setting for Bbm calls over the network are on also the grey tick on Bbm means it has been sent but not delivered maby because the device it was send to has not got sufficient signal. There seems to be a few Bbm haters nocking about but guess what I'm a watsapp hater. It is the biggest pile of poo nocking around! Simple as that

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    I am like you a BlackBerry supporter. I used BlackBerry since 2005 and I like the simplicity and clarity of the system . As long as they are able to satisfy my communication needs I will use and promote BlackBerry and BBM. But I don't hate anybody who is using something else. Is their choice and I respect them as long they respect me

02-25-14 12:17 PM