Maybe it's just me, But people's voices sound more natural over BBM. Perhaps it has to do with WiFi, but then again LTE sounded just as great.

Perhaps this is what we have to look forward to with VoLTE?

Anyway, great job BBRY
    02-22-14 08:30 PM
    I must agree with you. The sound quality is phenomenal!
    02-22-14 08:53 PM
    I still like Skype's sound more than BBM Voice, although it feels like BBM is more reliable since I've never had a call interrupted like on Instagram.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    02-22-14 09:00 PM
    The reason why is because of bbm using your data instead of cell band which provides more bandwidth which provides a more natural sound in calls. With bbm voice you are getting hd voice call quality. Don't let anyone tell you bandwidth doesn't matter.
    02-23-14 12:51 AM
    Fidelity is much better than cellular voice, yes. However I have not found it to be as reliable. Some instances of one way only audio when using it with my wife. We do use BBM video a lot though because the video is so compelling it makes the occasionally reliability quirks worth it.
    02-23-14 01:05 AM
    I must agree with you. The sound quality is phenomenal!
    BlackBerry Natural Sound!

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    02-23-14 07:44 PM
    I am amazed how clear the sound is between my Q10 and my wife's Z10 on BBM! It is really crystal clear and full bodied.
    Another thing we are beginning to use a lot is sending voice messages. Absolutely brilliant that is. No need for typing or pressing send, just talk and release - the end!
    Asynchronous conversation, what a delightful surprise :-D

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 10:24 AM
    Definitely much better quality than cellular network calls

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 10:31 AM
    The first time I used it, I was amazed at how clear the sound was. It was almost like the person was in the same room. I agree...good job BlackBerry!
    02-24-14 10:33 AM
    The first time I used it, I was amazed at how clear the sound was. It was almost like the person was in the same room. I agree...good job BlackBerry!
    That's what I said.

If this is any indication of voice over LTE, bring it on!
    02-26-14 12:39 AM
    This is actually better than the quality that is afforded by both cellular calls and by even other voice services like Skype. I actually had a voice call over bbm with a friend on an iPhone. Not only could I hear them as crisp as if they were in the same room, I could even tell what episode of Fraser was playing in the background! Skype calls were never that clear ever, that's for certain. It is kinda like this: cellular call < HD Cellular call < Skype / Tango < BlackBerry Messenger voice calls.

Those who have found it unreliable, my question would be this: what is your Internet access like as far as data speeds, what is your other call party's web access like, and are you doing simultaneous voice and video or just voice? I have found that the one time it gets at all unreliable is when one of my friends is in a part of the house where they don't have great wifi coverage, and even then it isn't horrible.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10

Edit: totally understand that some may have a preference to Skype and that is ok, still understandable. But my experience and that of even an avid iOS user would be that it is clearer.
    02-26-14 12:50 AM
    Has anyone ever used BBM voice over 3G? I had always thought WiFi was needed to use it. I am unable to BBM voice over 3G, yet my friend on iOS can use BBM voice over LTE. Is this the case with everyone, or is it special for apple???

I am on the latest version of BBM and .2141 leak. I am on Sprint but have no access to LTE where I live.

Edit: My friend turned his LTE off and put it in 3G, still able to BBM voice with him, but I need to be on WiFi. I also have the option enabled in settings. It is NOT greyed out. I am on Sprint.
    Last edited by J4m3z420; 02-27-14 at 10:56 PM.
    02-27-14 10:34 PM
    So I figured it out. BBM voice only works on 4G or better from my BlackBerry. When it goes to 3G, the icon turns grey. Green when on 4G. Cool!

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 08:04 AM
    It's the same quality as HD voice calls.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 04:53 PM
    It's the same quality as HD voice calls.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure which carrier you have but on my Z30, HD calls are worse than BBM Voice calls to the point where if I'm home they are the preferred method of calling when able. HD voice calls are good, yes, but not as good as BBM Voice.

03-13-14 11:18 PM
    How do you get HD calls?

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 03:57 AM
    Technobuffalo loves BBM VOICE
    03-14-14 08:20 AM
    Maybe it's just me, But people's voices sound more natural over BBM. Perhaps it has to do with WiFi, but then again LTE sounded just as great.

Perhaps this is what we have to look forward to with VoLTE?

Anyway, great job BBRY
    It's called "BlackBerry Natural Voice Technology ", used in BBM.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 08:41 AM
    Agreed, I really enjoy the sound. My only complaint is how long it takes to get the call to connect.

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    03-14-14 11:26 AM
    I'm not sure which carrier you have but on my Z30, HD calls are worse than BBM Voice calls to the point where if I'm home they are the preferred method of calling when able. HD voice calls are good, yes, but not as good as BBM Voice.

It's definitely dependent on the carrier configuration, LTE, HD voice compatible device.

I've made phone calls on Telus Z30 to Telus Z10 and have had HD voice every call.

I've made phone calls to on Telus Z30 to Rogers iPhone 5 and had HD voice on every call.

However, I've never gotta HD voice on Telus Z30 to Telus HTC One developer edition.

When HD voice works, it's really good.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 02:14 PM
    I have a Z10 on Verizon, and after I used an autoloader and updated to 10.2.1.2228 - BBM Voice works perfectly!! I've spoken to my daughter in Los Angeles numerous times (I live in Texas), and the call quality is very clear now. I've convinced my entire family to use BBM ( 3 iPhones, 1 Android, 1 BlackBerry), so I will be using BBM Voice 99% of the time going forward.
    03-15-14 11:49 AM
    It's definitely dependent on the carrier configuration, LTE, HD voice compatible device.

I've made phone calls on Telus Z30 to Telus Z10 and have had HD voice every call.

I've made phone calls to on Telus Z30 to Rogers iPhone 5 and had HD voice on every call.

However, I've never gotta HD voice on Telus Z30 to Telus HTC One developer edition.

When HD voice works, it's really good.

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't aware that Telus retailed the developer edition. If it's just that you bought a Developer edition device and put a Telus sim inside, or perhaps even just the difference in ROM, perhaps with it being "uncertified" for HD voice calls on Telus that's what is keeping you from getting HD voice calls to that phone.

03-15-14 10:51 PM
    I've been using the BBM app for iPhone since the day it was released but I've yet to use the BBM voice call feature and from reading all the good feedback on here I'm going to give it a try tomorrow just to have that experience!

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    03-16-14 01:19 AM
    I just had a weird experience.
    I was BBM-voice'ing my mom on her Note 3, but the sound was very choppy/metallic on my end. But when she switched to 'speaker' it was fine (in fact that sounded amazing).

Hope it was just a fluke, normally I am also very impressed with the quality.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    03-19-14 02:23 PM