Is it just me or could we do with a comparison of BBM Video vs FaceTime. I have searched away but either I suck at searches or it hasn't been done. I only seem to find an article from back in Feb that says it (BBM Video) is better.

CrackBerry team you have the devices...?
    10-25-13 05:06 PM
    kevin does seeing as the whole site knows about his gold iphone 5s maybe he has no one to facetime lol
    10-25-13 05:20 PM
    BBM Vid is better from what I have heard... can't recall exactly where I read that tho. More features or something
    10-27-13 01:37 AM
    BBM video is much better and alo has a better sound reproduction than any other technology... They call it BlackBerry Natural Sound Technology...

I have done BBM Video only once and it was great....

Posted via the awesome keyboard on Z10STL100-1/10.2.0.1791 using CB10 App
    10-28-13 08:24 AM
    LOLOLOLOL at the responses here. BBM is better! Yet no one here has tried both. Hilarious, and pathetic at the same time.

I'd say they're about on par with one another. Both way better than Skype.
    10-28-13 12:02 PM
    BBMV may be better but the FaceTime desktop client gives apple the edge.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 07:53 AM
    I have tried both. Face time on my wife's phone with her sister and bbm video on my phone with her brother. BBM video was far superior. Face time was jumpy and would freeze up constantly but bbm video never had any issues and the sound was superior.
    People might say this may be due to bad reception from wifi or the network (tried both) but in this case, wife and I were in the same house (Saskatoon) and her brother and sister were in the same house (Toronto).
    This is my personal experience and the iPhone loving girls (wife and sister) had nothing to say because they were even impressed.

Posted via CB10
    AbAll87, BernardK and Loc22 like this.
    11-01-13 07:58 AM
    Face time is ok i can't complain works pretty good. But my goodness bbm video is wow. I talked for 30 mins no lag no drop off. Sound was crystal clear. I wish when it goes cross platform folks experience the same.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 08:31 AM
    I never tried neither but based on the response from the person who tried both & knowing my experience while watching people use F/T, BBM seems steady.

I guess BBM video goes through the same private network that a BBM goes through for a stronger strength. Can anybody confirm if BBM video goes through BB's network or carrier's?
    11-01-13 09:51 AM
    I haven't personally tried both. I did facetime from my mac to my cousin, but that isn't a real comparison.

one advantage of BBM video is the ability to screen share, Facetime does not have that option at this time, but I bet they will be working on it soon.
    11-01-13 09:55 AM
    I never tried neither but based on the response from the person who tried both & knowing my experience while watching people use F/T, BBM seems steady.

I guess BBM video goes through the same private network that a BBM goes through for a stronger strength. Can anybody confirm if BBM video goes through BB's network or carrier's?
    Anything that goes to BB's network first has to go through the carrier (or wifi). BB doesn't have its own network towers. Obvioulsy, then, BBM goes through the BB network.
    11-01-13 09:56 AM
    I want to try it!!
    Bluline79 likes this.
    11-01-13 11:10 AM
    I've used Facetime on my iphone 4S a couple of times with my sister.

I was a bit disappointed to tell the truth. On several occasions the video would freeze and say connecting, then it would connect at a much lower quality each time.

I have a 40Mb/10Mb connection and my sister has 18Mb/1Mb. I'm guessing her connection was the problem with the 1Mb upload speed, but I would still expect it to be able to hold a decent enough stream at 1Mb up and not keep freezing. I'm not sure Apple has ever released what the minimum connection speed required for Facetime is.

I haven't had the chance to try BBM Video as I don't own a Blackberry anymore, but from the comments i'm reading here it does in fact sound superior to Facetime.
    11-02-13 10:50 AM
    I've used Facetime on my iphone 4S a couple of times with my sister.

I was a bit disappointed to tell the truth. On several occasions the video would freeze and say connecting, then it would connect at a much lower quality each time.

I have a 40Mb/10Mb connection and my sister has 18Mb/1Mb. I'm guessing her connection was the problem with the 1Mb upload speed, but I would still expect it to be able to hold a decent enough stream at 1Mb up and not keep freezing. I'm not sure Apple has ever released what the minimum connection speed required for Facetime is.

I haven't had the chance to try BBM Video as I don't own a Blackberry anymore, but from the comments i'm reading here it does in fact sound superior to Facetime.
    So typical. Let me recap:

* I tried Facetime with my sister.
    * My sister has very slow internet.
    * It wasn't good.
    * My sister's internet is probably the problem
    * I've never used BBM video.
    * BBM video is better.

No, your sister's internet is too slow for video chatting.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald and space8monkey like this.
    11-02-13 03:30 PM
    Yeah I tried both, bbm video is better at sound and features, screen share works amazing also,

As said before only thing facetime has over bbm is mac client.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 03:37 PM
    Face time is ok i can't complain works pretty good. But my goodness bbm video is wow. I talked for 30 mins no lag no drop off. Sound was crystal clear. I wish when it goes cross platform folks experience the same.

Posted via CB10
    This is my experience as well. FaceTime o.k. BBM video great. The video quality is higher, and the sound quality is much clearer.

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 likes this.
    11-02-13 03:41 PM

* It wasn't good.
    * BBM video is better.

Posted via CB10
    Well read my comparison then....same houses, same Internet (infact 2 on the same carrier and the other 2 on the same carrier) and bbm video wins hands down so calm down a bit. You are in every thread and clearly don't like BlackBerry so you argue for the sake of arguing.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 05:03 PM
    Well read my comparison then....same houses, same Internet (infact 2 on the same carrier and the other 2 on the same carrier) and bbm video wins hands down so calm down a bit. You are in every thread and clearly don't like BlackBerry so you argue for the sake of arguing.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. That's a valid comparison. I have no horse in this race. If BBM video is better, great! Hope it comes x-platform!

Posted via CB10
    space8monkey likes this.
    11-02-13 05:51 PM
    Nope. That's a valid comparison. I have no horse in this race. If BBM video is better, great! Hope it comes x-platform!

Posted via CB10
    It will come cross platform...hopefully by the end of the year.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 06:05 PM

* It wasn't good.
    * BBM video is better.

Posted via CB10
    You say the connection is too slow for video chatting, though Skype works perfectly.

It's not the quality of the stream that's the problem. It's the fact that it keeps freezing and reconnecting to adjust the quality.

I'm not knocking FaceTime, I think it's a great idea, but in my experience it doesn't "just work" how apple claim it should.

If Apple published the minimum connection speed required for FaceTime then I wouldn't be expecting so much if I knew the connection was slower.
    11-02-13 06:11 PM
    It will come cross platform...hopefully by the end of the year.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's a we bit optimistic to say by the end of the year, but I think it will happen too.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:58 PM
    You say the connection is too slow for video chatting, though Skype works perfectly.

It's not the quality of the stream that's the problem. It's the fact that it keeps freezing and reconnecting to adjust the quality.

I'm not knocking FaceTime, I think it's a great idea, but in my experience it doesn't "just work" how apple claim it should.

If Apple published the minimum connection speed required for FaceTime then I wouldn't be expecting so much if I knew the connection was slower.
    Odd. Facetime (and BBM) always worked much better for me than Skype. Sounds like something wrong with your FT...?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:59 PM
    I think BBM video tries too hard to be too good, so if you have a less than ideal connection speed, it doesn't just look crappy but it actually stops working all together. Skype quality blows no matter what, but you could probably still use it on dialup. Face time is a middle ground in between the two... although I've only tried it with an ipod touch.

In summary,.. everything needs to improve.

Posted via CB10
    AbAll87 likes this.
    11-03-13 12:11 AM
    In summary,.. everything needs to improve.
    Isn't that always true?

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-03-13 12:21 AM
    Odd. Facetime (and BBM) always worked much better for me than Skype. Sounds like something wrong with your FT...?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe the more I use FaceTime my experience with it will hopefully improve. At the moment though, I only have the few times I've used it to base my opinion on.

It's also worth mentioning that where I live in the UK, the broadband speeds are pretty poor. Most people struggle to get over 1Mb upload. This has only recently started to improve as FTTC and FTTP have become widely available. With these improved speeds FaceTime and even BBM Video can only get better and better.
    11-03-13 01:14 AM
64 123