To the VPN experts. Does using bbm video over VPN provide and extra layer of security on top of what bbm offers or does the same key for all consumer bbm users problem negate this?
    Last edited by rushpar; 05-29-17 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    05-29-17 03:16 PM
    It depends what you're trying to protect against.

In terms of the actual video content being intercepted, I think that is encrypted on the way to and from BlackBerry. Certainly that is how it works with regular text based BBMs. Assuming that's true, and that the encryption is perfect (or at least as good as whatever most VPNs are providing these days), a VPN won't really help. Regardless of whether you're using a VPN, an attacker would need to infiltrate BlackBerry themselves, or, more likely, politely ask BlackBerry to please hand over your video.

On the other hand, if for some reason reason you don't want your ISP or someone on your WiFi network to know that you're using BBM video at all, a VPN would make it difficult (probably not impossible) to tell that's what your doing.
    05-29-17 09:05 PM
    So after a bit of research I grow more confused about whether BBM Video streams are actually encrypted. I think maybe they weren't originally, but later updates to BBM added encryption.

If BBM video is not encrypted, or is using some kind of shared key, using a VPN is a good idea.
    A VPN will protect against others on your network from watching your video stream.

Personally, I think you'd be better off switching to a BBM alternative that offers end to end encryption. That way even BlackBerry couldn't eavesdrop on you.
    05-29-17 09:21 PM
    Thanks for your input. Raised some very good points. I'm protected thru the tunnel but not on the end. At one time they offered bbm protected video for $75 a year but can no longer find it. I assume it works like bbm enterprise where the keys are stored on the device and not with blackberry. With so much eavesdropping going on I'm just trying to make it harder for the bad guys
    05-30-17 12:37 PM
    To the VPN experts. Does using bbm video over VPN provide and extra layer of security on top of what bbm offers or does the same key for all consumer bbm users problem negate this?
    Yes, bbm video over VPN goes to the extra mile with extra security. As BBM protected as well as it also encrypts BBC messages as well which normally sent by 2 big companies (iPhone and Android Apps).
    04-01-20 12:12 PM
    Yes, bbm video over VPN goes to the extra mile with extra security. As BBM protected as well as it also encrypts BBC messages as well which normally sent by 2 big companies (iPhone and Android Apps).
    This is from 3 years ago. BBM consumer was not e2e encrypted back then.

Today, a VPN would add nothing to the equation.
    04-01-20 01:50 PM