Hey guys,

Just sitting here with my buddy and we're both playing around with our Z10s and really impressed with screenshare and BBM video!

Started to think tho, is it secure? Or is it at least more secure than skype? I know that bbm chat was always more secure than sms or whatsapp. I would imagine bbm video would be as secure bbm chat because the both go through blackberry servers.

Any thoughts?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-14-13 01:17 AM
    I'm not sure to what level BBM Video chat is encrypted, but it is passed through the BlackBerry NOC servers as far as I know.
    02-14-13 10:27 AM
    Without being able to give a direct answer, I would say that BBM and Skype text messages are approximately the same level of security, or perhaps BBM is slightly less secure (over BIS). The only way it could really be called secure is if the communication were client to client, key exchange is client to client and with robust key exchange, and the keys are only known to each client. Skype certainly isn't that way, and I *suspect* BBM video is not that way either. Probably don't have to worry about your 'friend' (presumably unclothed and of the opposite / preferred gender) having her nude video snorted away by anything other than determined hacker and/or government agency.
    02-14-13 11:19 AM
    now im curious...what do you plan to be doing on video chat :P
    02-14-13 12:38 PM
    There's several ways you could look at this....

1 - BBM video goes through the BB system which is world renowned for being the most secure system out there.
    2 - BBM video can use both your BBID and or your device PIN to make the chat work. Again, all through the BB system
    3 - This ones the kicker to both statements........it all goes through the internet and over open air across several different privately owned networks and therefore is susceptible to hackers, crackers, and other juvenile like minded peeps. As People in Montana recently found out, the Walking Dead are rising, thanks to hackers taking over the emergency broadcast system. (anything can be cracked if enough time is put into it)

So after all that, unless your into Government espionage, I wouldn't really worry about it.
    02-14-13 12:58 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys! I wasn't planning doing anything on it but I was an advocate of blackberry due to its security.
    I remember a year or so ago, governments in India and UAE wanted to shut down blackberry because they did not have access to BBM messages. Same issue happened with the London riots.
    If BBM video travels through the same access point as BBM chat then it is traveling through blackberry servers which are more secure than other servers that travel through a different access point which is the Internet.
    By virtue of this alone, BBM video is less susceptible to hackers and or to a security breach.
    Am I on the right track?

02-14-13 03:41 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys! I wasn't planning doing anything on it but I was an advocate of blackberry due to its security.
    I remember a year or so ago, governments in India and UAE wanted to shut down blackberry because they did not have access to BBM messages. Same issue happened with the London riots.
    If BBM video travels through the same access point as BBM chat then it is traveling through blackberry servers which are more secure than other servers that travel through a different access point which is the Internet.
    By virtue of this alone, BBM video is less susceptible to hackers and or to a security breach.
    Am I on the right track?

That India and UAE are asking for local BIS servers has more to do with following local law about tapping or seizing messages rather than a technical disability to do so (I think they need to do the equivalent of subpoena a local server and administrator). If you read at any depth about BIS in its default configuration it is difficult to imagine a government being unable to intercept and decode the messages of they wished.

I am not sure I'd even consider the messages unobservable by sophisticated hackers. But a lot of the information in BIS security is public - read about it and decide for yourself
    02-15-13 01:52 AM
    I'm not sure to what level BBM Video chat is encrypted, but it is passed through the BlackBerry NOC servers as far as I know.
    As far as I understand, while the connection negotiation for BBM Video Chat (like all BBM services) is performed through connections via BlackBerry's NOCs, the actual transmissions for BBM Video Chat and Screen Sharing are peer-to-peer. This is for fastest throughput and responsiveness.

It is possible that I have incorrect information.
    02-15-13 02:07 AM
    Depends if you fly is unzipped or not.
    02-15-13 02:20 AM