I know, why would BlackBerry invest in another platform that is even smaller in market share than BlackBerry 10? Well, that is quite simple. I think that BlackBerry needs to bring BBM to promising new platforms to gain an edge over WhatsApp, Signal or Facebook Messenger. Such apps usually do not come to the smaller platforms, even when there is an obvious demand. Let BBM (Protected) be the good alternative that is actually really cross-platform. Unite all the smaller platforms, so those users can support smaller platforms without losing communication tools. This also includes updating BBM for Windows 10 mobile. Just being an alternative to very popular apps on the bigger platform, where there is plenty of choice, is a limited strategy in my opinion.
    07-03-16 11:44 AM
    I don't think your consider the ROI for BlackBerry at all....

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 02:48 PM
    Sure I did. It is just more of a long term plan. BBM needs to increase its user base. That is essential to any communications tool out there. How could BBM compete with Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp? It doesn't, not globally at least. They are currently still strong in Indonesia, but if they lose that too, BBM is a goner. And what about those two communication apps Google recently announced? They are very late with true cross-platform BBM Video, so when they finally release it, I am sure there will be other competitors that will draw all the attention.

So if BBM wants to stay in the long game, it needs to think outside the box in how to increase the user base. Such as bringing BBM to platforms where there isn't a lot of competition. I truly believe that by increasing its user base, they can maintain a return of investment. Of course, all those smaller platforms will need to at least have some user base. Otherwise it is a waste of resources indeed.
    07-05-16 11:36 AM
    A pool of a hundred thousand Ubuntu users aren't worth it to Blackberry just like a few million BB10 users aren't worth to XYZ mainstream app. Ubuntu users want the same things as other platforms to communicate using the same apps but those other platforms aren't using BBM except in Indonesia.

There is no 'ground floor' with Ubuntu. There is no path to wide acceptance like contracts with mainstream carriers. It will be niche OS in a market where there is room for niche OS.
    07-05-16 01:07 PM
    Well yeah, if you think about the current state of affairs, you are pretty right. But think of it, how permanent is the current state? I mean, Nokia and BlackBerry were once giants.. look what happened to them. However, I will admit that it is a very slim chance, but still, I think it is still worth reflecting on the idea. It is about the potential. What if Ubuntu Phone becomes an unexpected hit? Note: I am not saying it will become one. Think of the potential. It is a risk, sure, but right now, BBM's survival is mainly dependent on success in Indonesia (or so they make us believe). That is a dangerous strategy, because if those people change their mind (and they might), I think that's the end of it.

Maybe take a compromise then. Watch younger mobile platforms closely, follow their advancements. And if the timing is right, make BBM available early on. Preferably before the current communication giants. BBM needs to be a pioneer again.
    07-05-16 02:41 PM
    The problem with Ubuntu phone is the Scopes feature which is a replacement for the app paradigm is crap slow even with phones the specs of the Meizu Pro 5 which has the same SOC as the international Galaxy S6. Until they get that fixed, I don't see much potential in Ubuntu phone even in a niche sense. Not to say Blackberry shouldn't pay attention to new initiatives, anyone in tech should but they shouldn't be putting money into this at this time.
    07-05-16 03:29 PM
    I guess that is true, the time isn't really ripe yet for Ubuntu Phone. Although I am hoping it can gain traction and become more than a niche product.
    07-06-16 03:49 PM
    If BB took Chen's app neutrality rant to heart, they would build BBM in HTML5 so that it can run on any device.

BlackBerry CEO John Chen proposes profoundly stupid 'app neutrality' law | PCWorld

Of course the BBM team know Chen's rant was full of bovine excrement.
    07-06-16 07:01 PM
    Yeah it was quite surprising to see him plead for that. And a bit hypocritical in my opinion, since after that, they kind of ditched development of the BBM for Windows Phone app.

From a layman's perspective, I am wondering whether it is possible to create a universal app platform, that would work on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10, Ubuntu and whatever other platform. Could HTML5 be that universal platform? I wouldn't have a clue...

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 01:03 AM
    Pardon my ignorance, may I know which phone uses Ubuntu?
    07-07-16 12:41 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, may I know which phone uses Ubuntu?
    It's only sold by BQ and Meizu (chinese oem/vendors). Ports exist for Nexus and OnePlus devices.
    07-07-16 12:51 PM